Your Favorite Ride with your Favorite Plane

Stephen

26 minutes ago, Hank said:

Electric cars are perceived as "zero emission" vehicles, because the car emits nothing, the power for it and the emissions are all at the power plant, which are hardly zero.

Two major roadblock to widespread adoption  of electric vehicles are range and charge time. I can spend 5 minutes at a gas station and drive my family sedan 600 miles. Then 5 more minutes enables another 600 miles. How long would it take your Tesla to make the 350 mile trip I'm heading out on this weekend? That's each way, from rural Alabama to rural western NC. Can't fly, we're bringing a 2nd vehicle back and the wife won't drive back if I'm flying . . . I'll be there ~6 hours after I leave home.

The complete green story also should include the build and then disposal part of the story.  How much energy and pollution is involved in building a car, its energy system (batteries, gasoline or otherwise).  How do we dispose of spent car batteries?  How much energy is involved in mining and purifying the materials?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hank said:

Electric cars are perceived as "zero emission" vehicles, because the car emits nothing, the power for it and the emissions are all at the power plant, which are hardly zero.

Two major roadblock to widespread adoption  of electric vehicles are range and charge time. I can spend 5 minutes at a gas station and drive my family sedan 600 miles. Then 5 more minutes enables another 600 miles. How long would it take your Tesla to make the 350 mile trip I'm heading out on this weekend? That's each way, from rural Alabama to rural western NC. Can't fly, we're bringing a 2nd vehicle back and the wife won't drive back if I'm flying . . . I'll be there ~6 hours after I leave home.

I spent a half hour getting a charge driving the 7+ hr drive to the Summit this year, Hank. I needed to pee and get a bite to eat, so my time wasnt constrained by the charge time, but by getting my fast food order consumed. But your point is well taken, typically it would take a bit longer on a LONG cross country trip. Overall, you will spend less time fueling/energizing/servicing an electric vehicle on an annual basis than you will an ICE car.  Anything over 300 miles needs a charge stop, as do I.

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Then why all the big car companies now scrambling to try to come up with a competitive EV offering? Either you must have a very short lifetime on your horizon, or you have a Mustang in your future :)

Same reason that Justin Beiber is more popular than say, Alter Bridge. The powers that be tell the masses what they want then through fancy marketing, they create a following. I had to chuckle at your Mustang comment, I have been salivating over a beautiful new GT350 at my local Ford dealer. :)

As well as the Internal combustion engine has been developed, it will never be as efficient as an electric motor. Certified air cooled internal combustion engines are the work of the devil and regulated by the FAA. What could possibly go wrong?

With the advent of dry cell lithium tech and other battery tech on the horizon, energy density increases, we are not far away at all to complete disruption in not only the auto industry, but transportation in general.

I do look forward to the coming advances in technology, but I really don't believe I will see an electric replacement for our Mooney’s in my lifetime and I expect to be around for at least another 3 decades. 

Edited by Eight8Victor
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Eight8Victor said:

Same reason that Justin Beiber is more popular than say, Alter Bridge. The powers that be tell the masses what they want then through fancy marketing, they create a following. I had to chuckle at your Mustang comment, I have been salivating over a beautiful new GT350 at my local Ford dealer. :)

I do look forward to the coming advances in technology, but I really don't believe I will see an electric replacement for our Mooney’s in my lifetime and I expect to be around for at least another 3 decades. 

I gotta admit it will be hard to replace this as a favorite, altho new EV is faster91320213_Porsche906.thumb.jpg.4e5834538f72617f11915d387983deee.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hank said:

Our Northwest hydro power comes close to zero emissions. The salmon trying to swim upstream to spawn have other complaints tho;)ugh 

45 minutes ago, amillet said:

Our Northwest hydro power comes close to zero emissions. The salmon trying to swim upstream to spawn have other complaints tho;)ugh 

Treehuggers don't like coal, dams or windmills; solar can't keep.up. what are we gonna do?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hank said:

Treehuggers don't like coal, dams or windmills; solar can't keep.up. what are we gonna do?

Windmills aren't that bad, but they're not great, either.  

As an engineer I still think nuclear is ultimately the way to go. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2020 at 4:10 PM, Eight8Victor said:
Ok Mike, there is a story here. Let's hear it. Was/is it yours? Did you race? The gearhead in me wants to know. That is super cool!

Yes CASC 1972-1975, SCCA 1975-1980
The owner of this was Eugene Dodd, formerly driven by Bobby Rahal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Best car I've ever owned was undoubtedly my 84 911 Carrera.  Not the fastest car I've had, but by far the most visceral.  That's comparing with MGs, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc.  Considering purchasing another but the air cooled P-car market has gone berserk.  Best ride in plane was with a friend who spent time as an instructor at Miramar.  ;)  We flew in a Epic LT for a return to service flight.  He kind of knows what he's doing in an airplane.  Made returning to my little Cessna anti-climatic.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Yes CASC 1972-1976, SCCA 1976-1980
The owner of this was Eugene Dodd, formerly driven by Bobby Rahal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Super cool! So I vote we now refer to Mike as "Speed Racer". I believe that Porsche today is worth about three new Acclaim Ultras.

• Like 1

I'm old school, I'm still holding on to my 98 Dodge Ram because it has a 5 speed and you can't them any more. I have owned a 79 911 Turbo (wish I kept it),  an 84 911 and 84 944, all GREAT cars. driver cars. I still marvel at watching Steve McQueen ring out that 68 390 Mustang during the Bullet chase seen as well as old clips of drivers in LeMans, Curious what an old school driver would perform against a new driver today with the various technological advancements. I guess the same could be said for piloting, old seat of the pants with minimal instruments vs. newer and safer technology.

When I was in high school, the rich kids all drove Trans Ams, always wanted one especially after seeing "Smokey and the Bandit", couldn't afford one in the 70's so I drove a used Jeep CJ-7.  I was in Denver about 4 years ago and stopped at a dealer that had a seal grey Carrara 4. I had been looking for one and stopped in to take a look. While looking at the Porsche, I noticed a black and gold TA in the garage, I asked what was the deal with it and they had just taken it in on a trade in on a Lambo (along with the Grey Porsche). I asked if they wanted to sell it and they didn't know much about it as they deal with exotics and euro sports. So I ended up with it, only play 70's music and still looking for platform shoes :)  The toys in the hanger belong to my friend, however I di have a affinity for the l-29 as well.

TA Jet.jpg

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Air pirate said:

I'm old school, I'm still holding on to my 98 Dodge Ram because it has a 5 speed and you can't them any more. I have owned a 79 911 Turbo (wish I kept it),  an 84 911 and 84 944, all GREAT cars. driver cars. I still marvel at watching Steve McQueen ring out that 68 390 Mustang during the Bullet chase seen as well as old clips of drivers in LeMans, Curious what an old school driver would perform against a new driver today with the various technological advancements. I guess the same could be said for piloting, old seat of the pants with minimal instruments vs. newer and safer technology.

When I was in high school, the rich kids all drove Trans Ams, always wanted one especially after seeing "Smokey and the Bandit", couldn't afford one in the 70's so I drove a used Jeep CJ-7.  I was in Denver about 4 years ago and stopped at a dealer that had a seal grey Carrara 4. I had been looking for one and stopped in to take a look. While looking at the Porsche, I noticed a black and gold TA in the garage, I asked what was the deal with it and they had just taken it in on a trade in on a Lambo (along with the Grey Porsche). I asked if they wanted to sell it and they didn't know much about it as they deal with exotics and euro sports. So I ended up with it, only play 70's music and still looking for platform shoes :)  The toys in the hanger belong to my friend, however I di have a affinity for the l-29 as well.

TA Jet.jpg

Air pirate’s official alias is now  “Bandit”.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The T/A made the 6.6L engine sound gigantic... As printed on the scoop bulging through the hood...

The later years a 5.7L was the big engine...

The O has done a great job of hiding its Naca duct for the engine intake... the decal would read 9.0L... :)

Go MSers & Cars!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Air pirate said:

TA Jet.jpg

I think I may have some 8-track tapes somewhere in the attic, if you need them. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Oldguy said:

I think I may have some 8-track tapes somewhere in the attic, if you need them. :D

Thank you, I have ONE 8 Track left, Deguillo by ZZ Top, unfortunately I have nothing to the play it on. The TA is a numbers matching original , ( I have the build sheet and window sticker), the original radio is a Delco AM/FM with no 8 track. :(    BTW, did you now the 8 Track player was invented by non other than BIll Lear of Learjet fame?

I actually place some Bluetooth Mega boom speakers in the back seat and run my 70's playlist from Spotify off my phone, Boston, Foreigner, Kansas and even some Bee Gees and KC and the Sunshine band, now where did I put them platform saddle shoes I used to have? 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...