LED Replacement for Whelen Model #70303 Light

Whelen 70303 Halogen Wingtip Forward Recognition Lights - LED replacement  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in purchasing an LED replacement set (qty. 2) for your existing 70303 forward wingtip recognition lights?

• Yes - 14 volt
    • Yes - 28 volt
    • No, not interested
    • Undecided right now

On 5/8/2021 at 3:00 AM, ArtVandelay said:

Standard practice is to not tie into safety/vital equipment, so I don’t know anyone who would do that.

Fair enough but tie in to the air safety switch would pose little risk and improved safety as since the lights would only come on when in flight, if there was a short somewhere or the air switch had failed close you would know as your recognition lights would be on while on the ground giving you a visual warning to check out why the air safety system is not working. and if failed or the tie in switch failed the circuit open you wouldn’t be able to raise the gear after takeoff. 

I talked to Whelen a few weeks ago they told me a LED replacement was on the boards.  Obviously not going to tell me if there's a development team assigned, etc. etc., but I do believe they are going to make the LED option. 

My guesstimate from the conversation is a year, but possibly much sooner pending how they allocate their resources.  So lets hope there's a little block in their production schedule that this project fits right into and they do it a lot sooner.

4 hours ago, PeteMc said:

I talked to Whelen a few weeks ago they told me a LED replacement was on the boards.  Obviously not going to tell me if there's a development team assigned, etc. etc., but I do believe they are going to make the LED option. 

My guesstimate from the conversation is a year, but possibly much sooner pending how they allocate their resources.  So lets hope there's a little block in their production schedule that this project fits right into and they do it a lot sooner.

There are several posts in this thread from @OSUAV8TER confirming Whelen has this in development.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

@OSUAV8TER Any news?  One of mine finally burned out, so I'm eager for a replacement.

No nothing new. I am considering paying for the NRE and developing one my own with an STC. I need to launch my current STC before I move onto the next project. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just tried calling again.  Their phone system is in serious need of an upgrade as I got disconnected multiple times on my cell and landline.  (Same thing happened a couple of months ago when I tried calling.)

Since I couldn't talk to anyone, I sent in an email.  Hopefully they'll be a little more attentive to their incoming emails than they are to the phone system. 

And I get that they may be working remotely with COVID, but there are a lot of other people doing that with no phone issues...

2 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

I just tried calling again.  Their phone system is in serious need of an upgrade as I got disconnected multiple times on my cell and landline.  (Same thing happened a couple of months ago when I tried calling.)

Since I couldn't talk to anyone, I sent in an email.  Hopefully they'll be a little more attentive to their incoming emails than they are to the phone system. 

And I get that they may be working remotely with COVID, but there are a lot of other people doing that with no phone issues...

Who did you try calling?

1 minute ago, Airways said:

Would any of the other LED manufacturers in GA be interested in producing a replacement ?  I fear profitability on such a project would be tiny (like everything Mooney-related) :unsure:

Yeah me. You know how much money I have made off my business? $0. I invest it all back into it. This is a hobby for me so if I can make some business model work, I'll go do it. This past year I've developed one STC and I am buying 3 more (sorry none for Mooneys). So I'm interested in doing this myself or a joint partnership of some sort. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Yeah me. You know how much money I have made off my business? $0. I invest it all back into it. This is a hobby for me so if I can make some business model work, I'll go do it. This past year I've developed one STC and I am buying 3 more (sorry none for Mooneys). So I'm interested in doing this myself or a joint partnership of some sort. 

If you do this, please pursue an STC for an LED trailing position light too!

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 10.19.41 AM.png

• Like 1

Just now, ZuluZulu said:

If you do this, please pursue an STC for an LED trailing position light too!

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 10.19.41 AM.png

Okay. I'm going to make an offer to Whelen to pay for some of the NRE if I can get the best pricing or a license agreement to distribute. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Okay. I'm going to make an offer to Whelen to pay for some of the NRE if I can get the best pricing or a license agreement to distribute. 

The wingtip recognition lights and the ones above are the only two types of exterior lights on my airframe left without widely available, FAA-approved LED replacements.  

54 minutes ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Yeah me.

Did I miss something?  You have an LED bulb that is a direct replacement for the Whelen?  I've seen your site, but never saw the bulb on there.

And to @Airways comment on profitability.  I don't think this is a Mooney only product.  I think there are other GA planes that put in the Whelen Wingtip Recognition Light.

2 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Did I miss something?  You have an LED bulb that is a direct replacement for the Whelen?  I've seen your site, but never saw the bulb on there.

And to @Airways comment on profitability.  I don't think this is a Mooney only product.  I think there are other GA planes that put in the Whelen Wingtip Recognition Light.

Negative and as far as I know, it is a Mooney unique light. 

Just heard back from Whelen... 

Making the LED replacement is still on their radar.  Biggest issue is getting out their other (newer) lights due to the supply chain issues.  Once things get back to normal, I think they will revisit the replacement recognition LED light.

47 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

It's been going on a long time but some have found alternatives . . . 

The 71888 is not a replacement LED bulb for the 70303, it's a different bulb and assembly. 

It is possible it would fit with some modifications if you wanted to put in a whole new assembly.  But I'd check with Whelen since the old part# that lamp replaces said it was a for a Gulfstream.  But it did also list 12v as an option.

The 71888 is not a replacement LED bulb for the 70303, it's a different bulb and assembly. 
It is possible it would fit with some modifications if you wanted to put in a whole new assembly.  But I'd check with Whelen since the old part# that lamp replaces said it was a for a Gulfstream.  But it did also list 12v as an option.

I realize that I was just pointing out that in that post there are other alternatives that hangar elves come up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/10/2021 at 4:06 AM, Will.iam said:

Fair enough but tie in to the air safety switch would pose little risk and improved safety as since the lights would only come on when in flight, if there was a short somewhere or the air switch had failed close you would know as your recognition lights would be on while on the ground giving you a visual warning to check out why the air safety system is not working. and if failed or the tie in switch failed the circuit open you wouldn’t be able to raise the gear after takeoff. 

I realize this was an older post, but why can’t a simple airspeed switch be employed to disable the lights until a high enough airspeed, ie cooling airflow, be attained? Something like this, but normally open.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/aerelay14.php

R2

Like this…

42 knot switch https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/switch11-13476.php

Edited by RoundTwo

• 2 weeks later...

Whelen informed me today that they are moving this up on the project list. They said that they are working on "Getting this pushed out hopefully by the end of the first quarter beginning of second quarter of next year." If I hear anything more definitive, I will let you all know.

• Like 5