LED Replacement for Whelen Model #70303 Light

Whelen 70303 Halogen Wingtip Forward Recognition Lights - LED replacement  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in purchasing an LED replacement set (qty. 2) for your existing 70303 forward wingtip recognition lights?

• Yes - 14 volt
    • Yes - 28 volt
    • No, not interested
    • Undecided right now

• 2 months later...

Folks, I owe you an update. The LED version of this light is in preliminary design work and there is no established time frame. Covid has delayed the project but your inputs have helped this get onto their radar.

When you all go to purchase these, don't forget me! 

• Like 3

2052973373_Image5-21-20at11_28AM.jpg.c93908d5fa877adc93627496c738c537.jpg I used these about 8 years ago, for Mooney recognition lights. It was a one-off. No one else wanted to spend the $1500 it cost for the parts and labor, so the manufacturer discontinued the item.

Edited by philiplane

• 1 month later...

Also on the list.

The previous owner managed to melt the plastic at one wingtip. Luckily, I was able to source a replacement from Smith Salvage for "only" $125 plus shipping.

I'm trying to always switch off the recog lights asap after landing to prevent this from happening again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 2:56 PM, OSUAV8TER said:

Folks, I owe you an update. The LED version of this light is in preliminary design work and there is no established time frame. Covid has delayed the project but your inputs have helped this get onto their radar.

When you all go to purchase these, don't forget me! 

Any updates yet?  Finally got the plane, now I need the LEDs!  :D

• 4 months later...

I'm happy to report that this project has been elevated and is now in development with Whelen. I have committed to buying the first 100 lights in order to meet the needs here for Mooney owners.

My question for the forum is what do you think is a fair price per light? $0 :)? Other recognition lights sell for $269.99 each.

I will be working on a list for you all to fill out (Name, Model, Model Year, Email address) so that I can keep informal contact for future purchase. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

I'm happy to report that this project has been elevated and is now in development with Whelen. I have committed to buying the first 100 lights in order to meet the needs here for Mooney owners.

My question for the forum is what do you think is a fair price per light? $0 :)? Other recognition lights sell for $269.99 each.

I will be working on a list for you all to fill out (Name, Model, Model Year, Email address) so that I can keep informal contact for future purchase. 

I'd put my money where my mouth is and pay $269.99, as one of the first people asking for this!  Still hoping for the rear-facing wingtip LEDs too...

• Like 1

Please email me the following pieces of information to: Gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com so I can put you in a secure database for future information. I will continue to post here but I have also committed to buying the first 100 lights. So when they come out, I'm calling down the list. 

Please provide me the following pieces of information:

1. First Name

2. Last Name

3. Email Contact

4. Year of Mooney

5. Model of Mooney

On 3/10/2021 at 7:15 AM, OSUAV8TER said:

$269 for what amounts to a $9 LED reverse light in an injection molded package is steep even for an aviation upgrade.  The tail strobe is $400 and that comes in a machined aluminum housing with a glass cover, has more emitters and more functions.  My CB might be coming out, but this should be $99 tops.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hypertech said:

$269 for what amounts to a $9 LED reverse light in an injection molded package is steep even for an aviation upgrade.  The tail strobe is $400 and that comes in a machined aluminum housing with a glass cover, has more emitters and more functions.  My CB might be coming out, but this should be $99 tops.

I would imagine it would look something like this when it's done. image.png.b59917fd3ad40ca6db933de7ab2fd66b.png

You won't be able to buy the package it comes in for $99.

10 hours ago, hypertech said:

I’m with you... up to a point... :)

Ask yourself... how hard is it to turn off the freekin’ light...

A new light at the given price, will save a very expensive lens from melting...

So, when you get your light commercially available for use in my plane... how long will that be?

All it takes is once...

Are we negotiating something that isn’t available yet?

Price control comes with competition... 

A fair price... often, cost plus margin that the company uses for its other similar products...

We don’t have a light for this at any cost...  the one we have melts a ridiculously overpriced piece of formed acrylic plastic...

If you have a limit to your budget...  it is fair to say... I can only pay X. Or I would only pay X... Nobody is going to argue with that...

If you want to say somebody else’s price should be more affordable... nice idea... but capitalism hasn’t worked that way yet...

Let’s wait for the light bulb to be commercially available before we complain about the unfairness of the pricing...

Right now, we have one guy on the inside... fighting a battle for Mooney owners... with no pay, until something sells...

PP thoughts from the heart of a CB capitalist... :)

Whelen makes some of the finest lighting systems available... if for some reason it doesn’t work... they stand behind their product...

Let’s be nice to the vendors...  we don’t have to buy from them... but, it is nice to be able to speak openly with them without having to go to BT to find them...

We can call  this the NJ dentist rule... the guy that found it sporting to trash talk every vendor that came  buy...  it’s all fun, until the vendors don’t come back...

PP thoughts only, not a sales guy... sending my data to the vendor... because I hate the price of thermoformed acrylic more than the cost of LED bulbs...  :)

Hmmmmm.... we could go to BT and trash talk them there... do Bs use this recog light as well?

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I would imagine it would look something like this when it's done. image.png.b59917fd3ad40ca6db933de7ab2fd66b.png

You won't be able to buy the package it comes in for $99.

I guess we will have to wait and see what they do.  That would be an over-complicated approach and could result in unnecessary cost.  The original bulb is essentially a standard projector bulb with the reflector cut down.  The most direct replacement would continue to use the same projector bulb shape so it fits in the same hole.  This is not a landing light, its more like a navigation light.  It only needs a couple emitters, or if you want something easy to find - a T15 reverse bulb.

I agree that some of Whelen's products are great and their customer support is good - I have a full set of Orions and got to exercise their warranty.  But some of the pricing is nutty.  $270 for a recognition light would be nutty.  Over $2000 for a beacon replacement is nutty.  

I think $270 might be a little too high. I say that because this recognition light in a Mooney is a lot smaller than the lights that have been pictured here. Another aspect is that this will be a very unique light and really only applicable to a Mooney aircraft, so economies of scale say that will drive the price higher. I'm thinking low to mid $200s.