LED Replacement for Whelen Model #70303 Light

Whelen 70303 Halogen Wingtip Forward Recognition Lights - LED replacement  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in purchasing an LED replacement set (qty. 2) for your existing 70303 forward wingtip recognition lights?

• Yes - 14 volt
    • Yes - 28 volt
    • No, not interested
    • Undecided right now

All,

Many of us having the below Whelen Model 70303 recognition lights installed on our airplanes have expressed interest in an LED replacement.  To date, Whelen (nor any other vendor that I’m aware of) has been able to offer such a light.  Although these forward-mounted wingtip lights are not part of an FAA-approved anti-collision system, they do serve a valuable purpose, and admit they look pretty cool too.  The existing lights have a nasty habit of burning holes in the plexiglas covers; which, as we know, aren’t cheap to replace.

Raised a poll above to garner interest in an LED replacement.  Whelen has developed an LED solution for just about every light on every Mooney except for the 70303.  Based on this poll, hopefully we can take a number back to Whelen that they would consider viable to allow engineering to develop it, test it, and bring it to market.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I talked to some Whelen guy at OSH  and he said they were working/planning on something for another supplier, it wouldnt be a retail Whelen customer.  Kinda got the impression it was for the M factory.  Now that the factory is kaput I doubt its going anywhere if it ever was.  Good idea on the poll, thats the highest priority  LED light for me.  Dont use those lights cause of the burn issue. Wonder if Mooney is the only application?

I voted...

I like to leave the recog lights on.

Mostly for the traffic pattern times.

I’m pretty good regarding checklists.

I’d still prefer to not melt the lens because the check list got completed later than usual...

Thanks for the poll, Steven!

Best regards,

-a-

If anyone knows of other groups to which we could get the word out about this, I'm happy for the input and the help.  Looks like we have 13 positive replies so far...26 lights total...and I'm guessing Whelen will want a significantly higher number.

Thanks everyone...

I talked with Whelen today about this light and they are interested in designing an LED version. Over the next couple of weeks I will be developing a spreadsheet/poll that will assess the marketplace for such a light.

The design and manufacturing process is not that easy to just put in an LED light. It will take some work. And for them to do this, they need good data as any prudent business would want.

Stay tuned! 

James

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

I talked with Whelen today about this light and they are interested in designing an LED version. Over the next couple of weeks I will be developing a spreadsheet/poll that will assess the marketplace for such a light.

The design and manufacturing process is not that easy to just put in an LED light. It will take some work. And for them to do this, they need good data as any prudent business would want.

Stay tuned! 

James

Thank you!! And thanks, Whelen. 

• 3 weeks later...

This post has been up for awhile now.  From just this poll, it appears we have 28 interested folks...that's 56 lights.  Not sure that will be enough for Whelen, but is a good start with which to approach them with the basic data.  There may be enough folks interested here that they have an appetite to start down the path of exploring this more actively with Engineering.

@OSUAV8TER, James - thoughts?   :-)

Steve

On 2/5/2020 at 7:59 AM, StevenL757 said:

This post has been up for awhile now.  From just this poll, it appears we have 28 interested folks...that's 56 lights.  Not sure that will be enough for Whelen, but is a good start with which to approach them with the basic data.  There may be enough folks interested here that they have an appetite to start down the path of exploring this more actively with Engineering.

@OSUAV8TER, James - thoughts?   :-)

Steve

@StevenL757 I provided this to Whelen on Friday night so we'll see what they say. 

• 1 month later...