Bladder Tank Life Expectancy

bucko

I have a 1965 M20-E with bladder tanks: 27 gallons each side.

Have been trouble free for over 12 years.  Routinely keep the tanks full after every flight: filled to about 1" down from the tabs.

How long can they last?

(Hope for another 12 years +.)

Bucko Strehlow

Why such a short timeline Bucko?

I have yet to hear any limitations on age...

The hotly debated reseal vs. bladders has gone cold over the last decade...

Expect if there was a 12 more year limitation... the arguments would begin anew...

My 94 tanks are Still the original seal job... I expect another dozen or two years...  :)

Ask @Bob_Belville and @Marauder for their thoughts...

Best regards,

-a-

My 94 tanks are Still the original seal job... I expect another dozen or two years...  :)

Be very careful what you post Anthony  I posted something similar last year about my 97 tanks which thereafter sprung a leak requiring a patch at the MSC in Trou;)tdale 

• Like 1

Alan,

I’m keeping my tank research alive...

I have Carl Sharon’s (Houston Tank Seal?) business card around here on my desk...

I expect... as soon as I stop watching and getting ready... the leaks will spring. :)

I spoke with Carl at the Mooney Summit...

Best regards,

-a-

3 minutes ago, amillet said:

My 94 tanks are Still the original seal job... I expect another dozen or two years...  :)

Be very careful what you post Anthony  I posted something similar last year about my 97 tanks which thereafter sprung a leak requiring a patch at the MSC in Trou;)tdale 

I was still trying to decipher if he was implying two dozen or two years. 

I have a 1965 M20-E with bladder tanks: 27 gallons each side.
Have been trouble free for over 12 years.  Routinely keep the tanks full after every flight: filled to about 1" down from the tabs.
How long can they last?
(Hope for another 12 years +.)
Bucko Strehlow

Mine have been in 29 years. I’m not worried about them. Since they are individual bladders, removal and replacement (repair) if they fail is a lot easier and should be cheaper than installing them from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Mine have been in 29 years. I’m not worried about them. Since they are individual bladders, removal and replacement (repair) if they fail is a lot easier and should be cheaper than installing them from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

54 gallon O&N installed 1997. 

11/2017 added 10 gallon option.

We had the opportunity to examine the original cells during the new install. They look like new. 

I expect the bladders to last as long as the airframe and as Chris says even if a cell had to be replaced that would not be a big deal.

(With 64 gallons = 7+ hour endurance I no longer fill the tanks until I know how much I will need for the next flight. IMO the rubber need not be wet all the time and is fine because of the fumes. Even with "full" tanks the ceiling area of the outer cells are not wetted. 

• Like 1