Landing Mooney at Washington Dulles

201er

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

That is just super cool!

How were the fees? I'm sure there were fees to land, park, fuel, security, etc?

Yeah, whatever they call them... all in was $100 + tips for the shuttle driver and I came out with 10 gallons of fuel and a great time. Museum is free.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Cool stuff @201er!  That $100 is not too bad.   Now that I know that it is possible, I might do that myself some weekend.

Did you have to do anything super-secret to not get shot down by missiles, or is that just DCA?

Just file a DC SFRA VFR flight plan or be on an IFR. Good idea to monitor guard. Daily dose of entertainment and thrilling action about someone else getting nearly shot down.

And the $100 is with 10g of gas for some fees waived. Figure if gas is usually $5/gallon, that's $50 premium for using the airport. Air and space charges $15 for car parking alone.

• Like 1

I took the fam not too long ago - we used jet aviation.  Total came to about $50 and I didn’t take fuel.  Shuttle complementary - great experience.  Busy ramp I was jammed between a Hawker jet and a Challenger.  Taxi to 30 was long but views were fun. 

6 hours ago, steingar said:

Of course, the Air Force Museum doesn't have a Space Shuttle...

It does have an XB-70, which is also big and white.:)  Much rarer than a Space shuttle too!

Both are fantastic museums.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bradp said:

I took the fam not too long ago - we used jet aviation.  Total came to about $50 and I didn’t take fuel.  Shuttle complementary - great experience.  Busy ramp I was jammed between a Hawker jet and a Challenger.  Taxi to 30 was long but views were fun. 

I went in an Archer last year.  Jet Aviation, about $50 total, overnight, no discount for taking fuel.  Decided not to buy any at $9 per gallon.  IMC on departure, gave me a heading to keep me out of the way of the faster departures, and the airliners were nice enough to call out pireps for the tops for me.  My first landing at a class B airport.

• Like 6

On 1/9/2020 at 11:22 PM, jlunseth said:

Did you happen to see the gondola from the Double Eagle II?

Didn't notice that one specifically but we did see the red bull one the guy jumped out from in space and broke the sound barrier in the spacesuit freefall.

Edited by 201er

• 3 weeks later...