M20f 201 cowl manufacturer’s ?

Your current best bet is to search up Sabre Cowl on this site and read up on it. That is likely what you really want, but just don't know it yet. ;)

The only other turn-key choice at great expense is the LoPresti cowl, which should perform better than a factory 201 cowl.

If you're a scrounger/DIY type, you can eventually find and buy enough parts from scrap planes to do a conversion. You'll need the cowl of course, but also engine mount and cowl flap mechanism (or modify your F mount), baffles, induction system, etc. I think you'll also need the interface strips at the fuselage that I believe are different. You might be able to buy this stuff new from Kerrville but the price will surely exceed the LoPresti option. You'll need a 337/field approval or perhaps find an old STC that may or may not be available to make it legal. I'd go for a field approval if using original newer Mooney parts.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I'd argue the lopresti is no faster than a 201 cowl. At least I've never seen anything solid. Sabretech's version is probably the most realistic option currently. It looks modern and seems to provide cooler engine temps.  The  increased speed performance appears to be on par with the others, too. 

• Confused 1

LoPresti gets credit for two cowls...

1) the original 201 cowl while he worked for Mooney... version 1... look for used parts.

2) the aftermarket 201 cowl after he worked for Mooney... version 2... look for the LoPresti website.

3) There are cowl closures that helps some... and may be hard to find... look for used parts.

4) @Sabremech also has a website... has modernized the mid body’s cowl... and is still developing additions to the STC to allow more versions of the Mooney to have the update... price wise is more consumer friendly than the other...

Depending on your project budget... some cars are priced in the ballpark as a LoPresti piece of aero art...

PP summary of stuff I read around here...

Best regards,

-a-

My F is essentially a J with the upgrades that do not come with the J, Johnson Bar and two independent Mags.  Both are truely an upgrade.

(You would thing a J model would come with a Johson Bar now woudn't you - just thought of that)

The original 201 cowling which I have is just as fast as the LoPresti, and quite a bit more durable.

You can buy a used 201 cowling, rebuild it and do the conversion.  You will need pre-existing data for a DER sign-off.  PM me about that.

A J model has a different type panel, but when it is time to upgrade your panel, you will want to start from scratch.  Take a look at my profile

on Mooneyspace.

John Breda

• Like 2

14 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

My F is essentially a J with the upgrades that do not come with the J, Johnson Bar and two independent Mags. 

You can upgrade to the A3B6 engine with dual mags, my 78 was done by PO.  Then there other J features other than windshield and cowling:

Tank selector valve has easy access, no need for special tool that some use.

push/pull controls on 78 models or later.

annunciator panel

modern yokes

1 piece belly panel 

improved air intake, no need for ram air (older Js can remove it)

and I’m probably missing a few others 

BTW, all Fs are not equal, they made changes over time, just like they did on the J. The 77J model was a transitional year.

oh yes, that electric gear you hate so much comes with higher gear speeds. (78 or later)

35 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

You can upgrade to the A3B6 engine with dual mags, my 78 was done by PO.  Then there other J features other than windshield and cowling:

Tank selector valve has easy access, no need for special tool that some use.

push/pull controls on 78 models or later.

annunciator panel

modern yokes

1 piece belly panel 

and I’m probably missing a few others 

BTW, all Fs are not equal, they made changes over time, just like they did on the J. The 77J model was a transitional year.

oh yes, that electric gear you hate so much comes with higher gear speeds. (78 or later).  You are correct, the F's are not all equal.  Mine is one of a kind.

The F model was available to me as a clean, non-flying airplane.  I took the opportunity to build a one of a kind F.   I sought to build a relatively simple, stable instrument airplane that would not be a maintenance hog.  

I have all of the above in my plane, without the need for limit switches, unavailable gear springs, electric motors, etc...  

No need for tank selector tools as the selector valve is nor within reach,  have push/pull controls, annunciator panel customized by me, Ovation style panel, Ovation yokes, bronze bearings on yoke tubes, one piece belly, Ovation interior with folding seats in the rear and fully articulating pilot and copilot seats, long range tanks, on board oxygen system from Ovation,  access to avionics bay and to oxygen system either through left side or through the baggage compartment, Garmin glass avionics (G600, GTN 750, GTN 650, GTX 345, Ryan TCAD, WX500, XM Weather, S-TEC 60-2, Altitude preselector, ADSB In/Out, turbo normalizer, long range tanks, speed brakes, full set of back-up instruments.....I will stop there but many other additions are present beyond.  

All can be done.  It just takes time and money...

John Breda

35 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

• Like 6