We are looking to add GPS to the panel of N3510N.  We didn't think we'd be able to afford this upgrade to our IFR platform this soon, but the release of the GNX 375 is a perfect spatial and cost effective fit for us, given the ADS-B requirement.  We will pull the KT-76A transponder and fill that spot with the GNX 375.  The question becomes how to display this information on indicators.  Currently, we have a KX-155 w/glideslope driving a KI-209 (pilot's-side panel), and another KX-155 (no glideslope) driving a KI-208 (pax-side panel).  Note that within the year, we intend to do a panel reorg bringing the #1 and #2 indicators both to the far right side of the pilot's-side panel.  As we see it there are two options:

1)  Leave Nav#2 (KX-155 no glideslope) and the KI-208 alone.  Replace the KI-209 with a KI-209A and a remote switch, displaying both the GPS and Nav#1 (KX-155 w/glidslope) on the KI-209A.

2) Get rid of the KI-208 (or pull but save for later pax-side panel reorg) leaving no indication for the 2nd KX-155.  Leave the Nav#1 (KX-155 w/glideslope) driving the KI-209 as is.  Buy a new indicator (KI-209A or GI-106B) to display the GPS (GNX 375).

So questions are:

1) On option 2, is there a reason to pick the KI-209A vs GI-106B?
2) Option 1 vs. Option 2: Unique indicators for GPS and Nav#1, vs driving a single switched indicator.
3) Any issues with driving our Brittain AccuTrak II with either of these setups
4) Anything else we are missing here (...besides a 10" G3X Touch)?

N3510N_Panel.png

Option #1 seems a lot more comforting than only getting half the functionality out of your #2 NAV/COM.

You can probably sell your KI-209 and get part of that KI-209A cost back.  Or move the KI-209 to the co-pilot side and sell the KI-208 to keep your future options more open.

Wish I could speak to the Brittain question.  I don't see it listed on Garmin's list of interfaces for the GNX 375.  But let's try @Baker Avionics for a professional opinion.

Best to stay with one manufacturer if you can...

Mixing BK with Garmin can be a crummy experience if things don’t work as expected...

Your interfaces are basic standards, so not proprietary...

Are used devices in consideration...?

There is an MSer dealing in the art of bringing used Garmin devices (and others) to MS...

Curation of used devices isn’t all that easy or fun... but it is effective for that guy and his customers...  :)

PP thoughts only, my panel is full of aging BK devices...

Best regards,

-a-

So if I understand what you are saying you are going to have 3 transmitters in the airplane.....  You might find that the Audio Panel really can only support 2 transmitters.    Also If I remember correctly, the Garmin really needs a Garmin Indicator.  Which of course are pretty pricey.

As far as the Accutrack II it should be able to to support the Left and Right input from a 430/430W.    so then the question does the 375 have the same output format as the 430.

Option 1. Replace the KI-209 with a KI-209A and have a switch so you can have either the KX-155 with glideslope or the GNC-375 coupled to the KI-209A. Have the KI-209A Drive the Accutrak this way the Accutrack will follow whatever is coupled to the KI-209A at the time. Alternatively you can have the KX-155 and GNC-375 wired directly to Nav1 and nav2 in the Accutrak. My KI-209A is wired to the Accutrack (nav1) in a setup very similar to yours with a king radio and GPS Coupled to the KI-209A via a selector switch. Nav2 in the Accutrack is actually open so I could add a third navigator to the mix if I wanted. In your case you could wire your second KX-155 to nav2 directly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What people are trying to say is there is value in a Double Pole Double throw switch.    For an input to the Accutrack it just uses a right and left 2 wire input.    You can multiply the A and B input on the AccuTrak by putting a DPDT switch inline to the A and B course input.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:12 PM, ZuluZulu said:

Option #1 seems a lot more comforting than only getting half the functionality out of your #2 NAV/COM.

You can probably sell your KI-209 and get part of that KI-209A cost back.  Or move the KI-209 to the co-pilot side and sell the KI-208 to keep your future options more open.

Wish I could speak to the Brittain question.  I don't see it listed on Garmin's list of interfaces for the GNX 375.  But let's try @Baker Avionics for a professional opinion.

TOTALLY agree!  The reason why the 209 is not listed is because it take a VOR Composite signal versus a 209A that takes the garden variety U/D, L/R wires.  The composite signal is basically a receiver internally.  Now I am sure other here are going to bicker about what I just said, but BASICALLY it is it's own receiver not quite literally!  LOL.