Southeast Avionics Shops

I have used Southern Sky Aviation at BHM for my last panel work (Avidyne 540/AXP 322/ Freeflight installation/reconfiguration). Have had no rework, they were on time, and charged the price they quoted. They are also my RMA shop-of-record for doing my Aspen MAX upgrades and MFD install this year.

It took a little work to get a quote from them as they were slammed with ADS-B work in Q3, but if you deal with Gary McCall, he will treat you right. They do anything from large Gulfstreams to smaller than us GA planes. Feel free to use my name if you want.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, moontownMooney said:

Anyone have any recommendations (for or against) for avionics shops in the Southeast? I'm in North Alabama, so closer to there the better.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Deep South Aerospace in Okolona, MS, has done some fine work on my a/c.   They installed a 430W, Appareo ADS-B transponder, and a Brittain Accutrak II, and it all works!    Very nice folks to work with.  

On 1/2/2020 at 11:14 PM, Baker Avionics said:

Precision Avionics in Perry GA. Call Scotty. He is wonderful!

And his rates are very competitive. My only complaint is that he's so slammed with work right now, but that's not really a bad thing. :lol:

• Haha 1

I would not use Oasis Avionics in GA. They have a few shops. Their quotes were way out of line of others and my hangar mate used them for a TXi. He did not go into deep details, but he was not happy with them at all. He though top dollar meant white glove service, and learned a hard lesson. 

I spent quite a bit of time obtaining quotes for an avionics project that I had completed last year. The first challenge was that more than half the shops I contacted either failed to respond or failed to provide a quote after promising to do so. Eventually I obtained two quotes.

The first quote was less expensive but did not include all of the items I had requested be addressed. The quote was incomplete and seemed to gloss over some aspects of the job. The second quote was complete, thorough and even addressed some items that I had not considered that needed to be done but obviously would be necessary for the job to be done right. The guy that put together the second quote clearly put a lot of thought into his quote. I decided that is the guy who I wanted working on my airplane. Additionally, shop number 2 matched the equipment prices that shop number 1 quoted. 

The winning bidder was Haydn Hardwick at St. Pete Air Avionics at Albert Whitted Airport (KSPG). The project included installation of new Garmin Audio Panel, GTN 650 and GI 106B indicator. Additionally they needed remove the ADF, the remote 3LMB, relocate the #1 NAV/COM and Indicator to the #2 location, wire the plane for four seat intercom access, test two COM antennas that were recently installed, complete the IFR Certification, update my Lynx 9000 NGT to correct the GPS rollover issue and remove old wiring. 

While their work was not fast, in fairness, I did not hire them to do a “fast” job. I hired them to do the job right and told them so. Their work was impeccable. Everything worked properly without exception and I could not be happier with their work. They have earned my business for life.

• Like 3