Explore St Maarten

Vlakvark

Epic Mooney trip in the making!

Flight planning crowd sourced by MS...

Would it make any sense to extend the route over Cuba and the DR? (Dad type questions)

It may add some additional NMs, but put more sand under your wings if needed... (dad shows concern, offers some unneeded help...) :)

What altitudes will you be flying?

What camera will you be filming with?

Hope you have good internet speeds in St. Maarten!

Its cold here... we’re going to need some pictures... :)

GO MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I have flown in that Caribbean lots of times.  I would not stop in at MBPV for gas.  Is reported often on Airnav and Foreflight as excessively expensive.  Fuel stop in MYES or MYLS is still expensive but lots less than the Turks.  You might also consider the DR.  Usually slow service from ATC for flight plan filing.  Best to plan to arrive at destination well before dark.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

José - @Gagarin- has flown extensively in that area and along that route.  I'll bet he has a lot of good advice on the matter.

It has been a long time (over 20 years) since I flew in the area but I remember taking fuel at either TJBQ or TJIG.  The prices at other places can vary unannounced because every day you land in there is a holiday and prices may double. Avoid weekends and holidays. You are lucky if there is electricity for the pump or the certified pump operator is not at  his siesta. Good luck

I have thought about doing a trip like that.   I've done a lot of work in the Caribbean and have friends I could visit.   But- when I trained in Australia we flew to Tasmania from Melbourne in a Cherokee, and we had a life raft on board.   Looking back on that experience, flying over the open ocean was a lot like instrument flight.

You must agree that getting anything out of a Mooney in a hurry is problematic.   We've learned from MS that when our airframes go in water, they leak like sieves.   Floating time is negligible.   There was a recent thread here on a water landing in a wetland and the plane filled with water immediately.

I'm curious - are you taking a raft?   How do you plan to get it and you out of the aircraft in the unlikely event of a water landing?   Please don't think that I'm throwin' cold water on your plans, the decision is yours.   But that thought keeps me from making a long leg over water.  Not sure what the odds are of an engine failure during that particular multi-hour round trip, but they aren't zero.

• Like 1

I've not done this, but considered it a few times.  I'd probable go from KFXE to MDPP, which should be very doable in a K.  On the other hand, I might consider TJIG if the winds are favorable.  Lastly, don't forget about APIS

Looks like fun. The Bahamas mean you’ll be within glide distance of land or shallow water for a lot of this flight. Provo was a good fuel stop for me 14 years ago. 

Have you considered doing some island hopping after St. Maarten? There are some fun places to explore.

I made a similar trip to the Bahamas in April 2019.  KFPR is a great place to rent a raft and life vests if you haven't already taken care of that.  APP JetCenter is a great resource on the field and were helpful arranging a local hotel for overnight.

Awesome! We are planning the same trip in March except landing Grand Case(TFFG) on French side of St. Martin. Final destination is St. Barth’s! Contemplating getting training with local instructor to fly into St. Barth vs. leaving plane at TFFG and taking charter or ferry.  

I was also planning fuel stop at Provo. I will be very interested to hear your experience!

Safe travels! 

Edited by mooneyman

On 1/2/2020 at 10:37 PM, carusoam said:

Epic Mooney trip in the making!

Flight planning crowd sourced by MS...

Would it make any sense to extend the route over Cuba and the DR? (Dad type questions)

It may add some additional NMs, but put more sand under your wings if needed... (dad shows concern, offers some unneeded help...) :)

What altitudes will you be flying?

What camera will you be filming with?

Hope you have good internet speeds in St. Maarten!

Its cold here... we’re going to need some pictures... :)

GO MS!

Best regards,

-a-

We will come back via Cuba and Jamaica.

Keeping it mid 15’s

Have to go pro’s. Gotta learn how they work plus a canon with a photo lense.  

• Like 1

Planning this flight next week. 
2E369479-4309-471C-A877-BA8BAF0F468E.thumb.png.27d9918efb17dfe644c62f9c5f3a5e36.png

bd34c38e4e67d05d7437826f78573d38.png

I do this route a couple of times a month. I do 26 LOP until I’m confident I’ll land with :90 minutes of fuel, I criss cross PR and Bahamas, the longest leg is obviously after Turks, they don’t let you fly closer to the DR, I’ve filed several times and always get it rejected.

Due to customs and hassle, suggest to go to Miami area for refuel and go 24 lean - I’m thinking if winds ok you’ll make it.

I go as high as practicable for engine out.

Get an emergency beacon and wear it.

Get a GARMIN global text device and wear it.

Raft next to you.

Wear the life jacket.

Relief bags work best.

I do it in 4-5 hours depending on winds.

Beats AA

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

A few thoughts:

1. You need to call APP Jet at KFPR and reserve vests and life raft.  During peak times they run out and you can't just show up and expect one.

2.  Bahamas customs closes early in the winter, depending on where you go it is around 4:30-5 pm, and no night flight, so it is generally best to overnight in Ft. Pierce and fly out to the islands in the a.m.  I don't know how things work at St. Maarten, but everything is slower in the Caribbean.  Can't expect they will just be open when you want them to.

3.  Always good to call your destination FBO and make sure they actually have avgas, don't rely on what the books and charts say.  The books and charts mean they have a tank and a pump, whether there is any gas in them is a day to day thing.

4. When I go, I endeavor to create a course that overflies islands as often as possible, and the islands generally orient in the direction you are going.  Its just a good idea.

5. Make sure ahead of time that there will be Internet access and a phone to file your eAPIS manifest and make the phone call to customs about when you will be arriving.  Don't just assume.  Communications are not the same in the Caribbean and your cell phone might or might not work.

6. You will experience the autoroughs, it is nothing to worry about.

7.  Always bring portable chocks and tie down rope.

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I can add is , have a safe flight, have fun and I tend to like Marigot on the French side a bit more than Philipsburg, of course you need to go to the Maho Reef beach and see the big iron approaching over the beachgoers. BTW the beaches are tops optional, always a good thought until you're actually on one, while shaking off a few late night rums, I noticed some women on the beach in the AM,  looked like a couples of bananas that went bad. :unsure: