OSUAV8TER

New Whelen Aviation Lighting Dealer!

Greetings Mooney drivers! I'm happy to announce that I am Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) newest aviation lighting dealer! I now have a variety of products stocked in my online store with more on the way. I have landing lights, taxi lights, wingtip position/strobe lights, and beacon lights in 14V and 28V ready for immediate shipping. Orders over $500 ship for free. If you need help figuring out how you want to outfit your airplane with LED lighting, you can email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com.

You can check out my online store and order here at https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/wh ... hting.html

650EC_720x.png

2585E302-9729-48F6-80A9-E9AEA083A0CB.thumb.jpeg.3472455c4eed869a4b356afee5c29637.jpeg

Orion600.jpeg

ParmetheusPlus_PAR36.jpg

ParmetheusPro_PAR36_Landing.jpg

ParmetheusPro_PAR46.jpg

• Like 2

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

@ZuluZulu

That’s a 650E. Model numbers are:

6501RE - Red 14V

6501GE - Green 14V

6502RE - Red 28V

6502GE - Green 28V

I have them on my Bonanza and they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here is what I currently have available:

1. Whelen PAR36 P36P1L Landing Light - $255
2. Whelen PAR36 P36P1T Taxi Light - $255
3. Whelen PAR36 P36P2L Landing Light  - $255
4. Whelen PAR36 P36P2T Taxi Light  - $255
5. Whelen PAR46 14V P46P1L Landing Light - $300
6. Whelen PAR46 28V P46P2L Landing Light - $300
7. Whelen PAR36 Parmetheus Pro Landing Light - $499.99
8. Whelen PAR46 Parmetheus Pro Landing Light - $599.99
9. Whelen 14V Green 6501G Wingtip Light - $535 - Add to cart for current price
10. Whelen 14V Red 6501R Wingtip Light - $535 - Add to cart for current price
11. Whelen 28V Green 6502G Wingtip Light - $535 - Add to cart for current price
12. Whelen 28V Red 6502R Wingtip Light - $535 - Add to cart for current price
13. Whelen 14V Green 6501GE Wingtip Light - $565 - Add to cart for current price
14. Whelen 14V Red 6501RE Wingtip Light - $565 - Add to cart for current price
15. Whelen 28V Green 6502GE Wingtip Lig - $565 - Add to cart for current price
16. Whelen 28V Red 6502RE Wingtip Light - $565 - Add to cart for current price
17. Whelen 14V Green 6001G Wingtip Light - $652 - Add to cart for current price
18. Whelen 14V Red 6001R Wingtip Light - $652 - Add to cart for current price
19. Whelen 28V Green 6002G Wingtip Light - $652 - Add to cart for current price
20. Whelen 28V Red 6002R Wingtip Light - $652 - Add to cart for current price
21. Whelen 28V Red Beacon Light 7108001 - $695 - Add to cart for current price 
22. Whelen 14V Red Beacon Light 7018051  - $695 - Add to cart for current price
23. Whelen 28V Red Beacon Light 7108005  - $761 - Add to cart for current price
24. Whelen 14V Red Beacon Light 7108055 - $761 - Add to cart for current price

All overs over $500 receive free shipping, which I will adjust after a purchase is made.
Order here -----> https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

Got another question for you @OSUAV8TER - does Whelen have a solution for the wingtip lens fairing-mounted, forward-facing recognition lights yet? And if not, are they working on one? Ditto the wingtip trailing edge aft-facing white lights. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Got another question for you @OSUAV8TER - does Whelen have a solution for the wingtip lens fairing-mounted, forward-facing recognition lights yet? And if not, are they working on one? Ditto the wingtip trailing edge aft-facing white lights. 

@ZuluZulu can you show me a picture? I'm not sure if I understand what you are describing.

2 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

@ZuluZulu can you show me a picture? I'm not sure if I understand what you are describing.

You need a spreadsheet showing approved bolt in models for each year and model Mooney.  Cant tell what fits what.

3 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Sure, see attached.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.45.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.47.57 PM.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

Which model is this one, inside the lens fairing?

That's the OR-650e.  That's actually my airplane.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

Sure, see attached.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.45.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.47.57 PM.png

I'm interested in the recognition and rear wingtip lights as well.

• Like 1

My rear wingtip lights are the following...

https://www.aero-lites.com/product-page/led-rear-position-light-wedge-base

Speak with Jeremy Rabuck at 800-638-7914, Opt. 1.  If he isn't there, anyone in Sales should be able to help.  This is a fairly-new bulb for them.  I had the earlier model; and although I thought that one was bright at the time, they came out with this one.  Very impressive.  Order the A508-14 or A508-28, based on your voltage.

I have them in my Ovation, and they work incredibly well.  They complement the Whelen/WAT OR500 tail Nav/ACL nicely.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

@ZuluZulu Whelen does not have any LED solutions for that nor are they looking to do that anytime soon. 

Well I wish they would. :D

If you get to speak with the Whelen folks about new products... (off the shelf for them, but selecting it for M20 use...)

They have some lights like our recognition lights in the pics above...

Our recog lights are sawed off reflectors with very bright / hot bulbs... with a fair amount of space to work with...

The challenge with the recog lights... leave them on accidentally and they melt an expensive acrylic lens out front...

Let me know if you need pics for product development...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

If you get to speak with the Whelen folks about new products... (off the shelf for them, but selecting it for M20 use...)

They have some lights like our recognition lights in the pics above...

Our recog lights are sawed off reflectors with very bright / hot bulbs... with a fair amount of space to work with...

The challenge with the recog lights... leave them on accidentally and they melt an expensive acrylic lens out front...

Let me know if you need pics for product development...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I speak with them all the time.

Let's talk numbers. I used to work for Johnson and Johnson doing financial analysis work for new product development. If there isn't a financial case, I don't blame Whelen for not doing it. There has to be a positive Net Present Value for them to even consider it, then it has to beat out other projects that have a positive NPV.

How many Mooneys have these little recognition lights? We need to get a good idea of how many would convert? 

If I can take data back to Whelen, they might do it. I'm willing to do that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

My rear wingtip lights are the following...

https://www.aero-lites.com/product-page/led-rear-position-light-wedge-base

Speak with Jeremy Rabuck at 800-638-7914, Opt. 1.  If he isn't there, anyone in Sales should be able to help.  This is a fairly-new bulb for them.  I had the earlier model; and although I thought that one was bright at the time, they came out with this one.  Very impressive.  Order the A508-14 or A508-28, based on your voltage.

I have them in my Ovation, and they work incredibly well.  They complement the Whelen/WAT OR500 tail Nav/ACL nicely.

Steve

Do these bulbs fit the existing socket?

3 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Let's talk numbers. I used to work for Johnson and Johnson doing financial analysis work for new product development. If there isn't a financial case, I don't blame Whelen for not doing it. There has to be a positive Net Present Value for them to even consider it, then it has to beat out other projects that have a positive NPV.

How many Mooneys have these little recognition lights? We need to get a good idea of how many would convert? 

Hopefully it wouldn't cost much to stick an LED light into these...

https://www.whelen.com/aviation/product.php?head_id=13&prod_id=125

33 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Hopefully it wouldn't cost much to stick an LED light into these...

https://www.whelen.com/aviation/product.php?head_id=13&prod_id=125

Right, we just have to figure out how many Mooneys are out there that use this light and how many Whelen would need to commit to design and produce such a light. 

17 minutes ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Right, we just have to figure out how many Mooneys are out there that use this light and how many Whelen would need to commit to design and produce such a light. 

I don't know exact numbers, but from what I've seen it looks like every mid and long body with factory wingtip fairings has them, from the mid-1980s on.  N87PM up there is a 1983 M20J.  No doubt some earlier retrofits in the bunch too.  These lights are some of the last remaining non-LED holdouts so it'd be great to have a modern solution.

If I'm wrong about any of that, I'm sure I'll be reading why shortly.

5 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

most of the Mooneys from 90s forwards... it’s sort of an unmet need... recog lights are great to leave on all the time... very easy to see a plane on final approach from the ground...

Anything that got the shaped wing tip that aerodynamically hid the lights...

The space available essentially is a large cube... the amount of development from Whelen probably amounts to going down a list to see what they currently have fits the space and spec.

The bulb that is in there presently is a sawed down reflector version of another light off the shelf...

The cool thing about the LED lights... they are often cooler, and may not need a reflector...

One of our MSers built his own version from parts, then did the proper documents to cover it... (Bennet, an electrical engineer)

I used to work for two small pharma companies as well... you may have heard of them... PFE, and MRK... the art of getting engineering projects successfully completed... having a good finance person to support your team...

Want to work together on this?  Select the MSer recog light for Mooneys and see how many other planes could enjoy the benefits... add a wig-wag option for high notice-ability...

I’m not sure exactly why the current landing lights and taxi lights don’t work as recog lights... but, they are essentially designed to do a different task... aim at specific locations in front of the plane... stay on all the time...

Expect that Whelen already has this, just the end users can’t find it... and the proper paperwork may need to be filled in... all steps Whelen knows really well...

It would make a great line extension for the things they have now... 

We probably would have to start with what bulb is in there now, and what specs does it have?  (Looks like ZZ did that piece of homework, yay! )

In the end... my plane still needs the entire suite of LED lights... they are still all incandescent ...

• Three white tail lights
  • two landing lights
  • two taxi lights
  • two recog lights
  • red nav
  • green nav
  • strobes all around...

We could make an interesting case study... Whelen is a brief flight from NJ to CT...

PP thoughts only, not an electrical engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:46 PM, OSUAV8TER said:

I’ve had this conversation with Jeff at Whelen a few times over a several years.  My understanding is that the number would have to be extremely high for Engineering to engage and build the thing in order for it to be cost-efficient.  Maybe the conversation needs to be revisited yet again, as it’s been over a year since we’ve discussed it. 

14 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

I’ve had this conversation with Jeff at Whelen a few times over a several years.  My understanding is that the number would have to be extremely high for Engineering to engage and build the thing in order for it to be cost-efficient.  Maybe the conversation needs to be revisited yet again, as it’s been over a year since we’ve discussed it. 

I'm willing to have that conversation with Jeff but I'm not going to do that without data. I'm not going to collect that data alone.

If there are some enterprising Mooney owners here that want to help me put together a plan to collect that data, I'm all for it.

I'm sure some of you have heard about the Bonanza V tail problems, well I setup a Google Drive document for anyone with a V tail to provide their name, model Bonanza, model year, etc. I then took that information to a VP at Textron aviation and that data was enough for them to motivate them to find a way to produce more magnesium skins for the V tail ruddervators.

DATA TALKS.

Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com if you want to help. I prefer folks who have these recognition lights in their wings. 

James

• Like 3