Tablet Mount options

PJClark

Hey gang,

Posting my new panel here again for reference...I need some advice on where/how it is "legal" to mount an iPad or in my case an Android Tablet:

The big, blank, Black space on the copilot side is the target.  I have a Galaxy Tab S2 that will just fit there in Portrait configuration (but it will cover up the Avionics master and the ELT switch if it does go there).  in Landscape it will cover up the left-most column of circuit breakers.  The avionics shop sort of "forgot" I wanted to put a tablet there so they rather dorked the plan all up by putting the Av Master, prop deice guage, and ELT back where they originaly were, thus consuming about 2.5" of precious space in that location. Too late to re-do by the time I got there and could see it.  GRRR....

Thus, I probably need the thing to be able to move a little bit whichever way I go with this. Question is:  can I just drill 4 holes in that blank panel and screw a RAM base and ball to it? Or would that require some FAA paperwork and an approval etc?  thinking of using something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-RAM-B-101U-1-Inch-Diameter-2-5-Inch/dp/B001QD8PUM/ref=pd_sim_263_1/141-6468295-5332613?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001QD8PUM&pd_rd_r=c36f5d1c-a4fd-4530-a310-444363a99c81&pd_rd_w=I8m2I&pd_rd_wg=3PTjB&pf_rd_p=04d27813-a1f2-4e7b-a32b-b5ab374ce3f9&pf_rd_r=G8HSA2AYR9J7KS6MKHNZ&psc=1&refRID=G8HSA2AYR9J7KS6MKHNZ

and I already have a RAM 9.7 inch tab-tite cradle that fits the S2 perfectly. Don't really want to put it on the yoke...

any suggestions appreciated especially on "legality" question

thx

PJ

IMG_20191022_135717.jpg

I bought a clamp on the table with a flexible arm.  The clamp went on the copilot side and clamped to the welded pieces that have the throttle cable.   It kept the tablet handy and brought it away from the panel.   It would cover up the radios, but you could look over or under just move out of the way.   

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gooseneck-360-Flexible-Lazy-Bed-Desk-Stand-Holder-Mount-Clip-For-iPad-Tablet-iPhone-Sumsung-Phones-Long-Arm-White/941600276

28 minutes ago, PJClark said:

Aha!  Then:  it is no issue/nobody at the FAA or an IA at annual will care that I've drilled and bolted that mount to the blank panel????

I don't think anyone will care, but some velcro from Home Depot/Lowes will do the trick and not leave holes if you want to move it. If you put double thickness of it over on the right side of the tablet it will tilt it towards the pilot a little. I've had a 8" Asus tablet there and have a case with the velcro on it that stays on the panel and I pop the tablet in and out. I could just pull the case off each time too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-4-in-x-2-in-Industrial-Strength-Strips-2-Pack-90199/202261921

20200101_132455.thumb.jpg.2eef26c4724e627a256d0f448ff118cd.jpg20191116_114754.thumb.jpg.feb01c073e98af9f2ddc3cca55aae247.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I bought a clamp on the table with a flexible arm.  The clamp went on the copilot side and clamped to the welded pieces that have the throttle cable.   It kept the tablet handy and brought it away from the panel.   It would cover up the radios, but you could look over or under just move out of the way.   

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gooseneck-360-Flexible-Lazy-Bed-Desk-Stand-Holder-Mount-Clip-For-iPad-Tablet-iPhone-Sumsung-Phones-Long-Arm-White/941600276

I thought about this option but was worried it would bounce around too much in turbulence.  No issues with that?

My $1.99 Goodwill mount was suctioned to the window right next to the center post, which I really liked.  However, after 3 years of use it finally broke, so I am now looking for another option.

11 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I thought about this option but was worried it would bounce around too much in turbulence.  No issues with that?

My $1.99 Goodwill mount was suctioned to the window right next to the center post, which I really liked.  However, after 3 years of use it finally broke, so I am now looking for another option.

Yes it bounces in rough air.  But you are not staring at it so no biggy.   I have a two device method.   Look stuff up on the phone.   Tablet for navigation.   With the Dynon questions remains if the tablet will return or just as a back up to all other back ups.

3 hours ago, PJClark said:

Hey gang,

Posting my new panel here again for reference...I need some advice on where/how it is "legal" to mount an iPad or in my case an Android Tablet:

The big, blank, Black space on the copilot side is the target.  I have a Galaxy Tab S2 that will just fit there in Portrait configuration (but it will cover up the Avionics master and the ELT switch if it does go there).  in Landscape it will cover up the left-most column of circuit breakers.  The avionics shop sort of "forgot" I wanted to put a tablet there so they rather dorked the plan all up by putting the Av Master, prop deice guage, and ELT back where they originaly were, thus consuming about 2.5" of precious space in that location. Too late to re-do by the time I got there and could see it.  GRRR....

Thus, I probably need the thing to be able to move a little bit whichever way I go with this. Question is:  can I just drill 4 holes in that blank panel and screw a RAM base and ball to it? Or would that require some FAA paperwork and an approval etc?  thinking of using something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-RAM-B-101U-1-Inch-Diameter-2-5-Inch/dp/B001QD8PUM/ref=pd_sim_263_1/141-6468295-5332613?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001QD8PUM&pd_rd_r=c36f5d1c-a4fd-4530-a310-444363a99c81&pd_rd_w=I8m2I&pd_rd_wg=3PTjB&pf_rd_p=04d27813-a1f2-4e7b-a32b-b5ab374ce3f9&pf_rd_r=G8HSA2AYR9J7KS6MKHNZ&psc=1&refRID=G8HSA2AYR9J7KS6MKHNZ

and I already have a RAM 9.7 inch tab-tite cradle that fits the S2 perfectly. Don't really want to put it on the yoke...

any suggestions appreciated especially on "legality" question

thx

PJ

IMG_20191022_135717.jpg

I have a ram ball mount screwed into my right side panel.  It’s real nice.  You can angle the tablet toward yourself to see it better since it’s a ball mount.  I didn’t do it, but I don’t see it documented and nobody has cared for the last 6 years I’ve had it...

1 hour ago, PJClark said:

sweet.  Can you send me a picture of that ball mount?

You a Strike guy?

Yep. Retired a couple years ago.  You?

These pictures aren’t perfectly of the “ball”, but the mount attaches to the ball, you can point it wherever you want and tighten.  It sticks out maybe 2” from the panel.  From the pictures, you can see it’s screwed into the panel.

B80731D1-1420-4407-A4C7-166A86C4B539.jpeg

11A58DB1-6872-48C5-BBCC-99BEC8049ADD.jpeg

E4107D20-5650-4706-8B20-F552245A8085.jpeg

For the annual thread where somebody inevitably asks this question....

Ram mounts makes so many varieties, an options... makes an easy way to see what people were thinking over the years...

There are plenty of other mounts too... just this one comes along with every search...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q="Ram mount"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

The average MSer probably has two portable screens in the plane at all times... a phone and a tablet...

An interesting stat is the color screen count... it is getting higher every year...

Best regards,

-a-