What sunglasses do you use during flight?

I don’t intend this to be a thread talking about polarized vs non-polarized but more so the type of frames you may use. I’ve been flying with my Oakley half jacket sunglasses for a couple years but have found the noise leakage they cause of my DC H10-13.4 headset to be less than comfortable. I have wondered about purchasing some of the aviator style frames since they have a more slim earpiece that may not leak as much but don’t think they’ll be a good style for me. What do some people here use in terms of brand and style that they’re pleased with? As a precursor to the conversation , if you fly with really expensive frame models ($300+), I can’t go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Hank said:

Check this out:  https://www.zennioptical.com/ And yes, you can get "no prescription" lenses. Tints come in a  variety of colors, too. I prefer brown lenses myself.

I'm a Zenni customer too.

I have two pair of glasses I use for flying. One is one of my two pair of regular daily glasses. Thin framed with progressive lenses and photochromic. Unlike cars, plexiglass aircraft windows don't block UV, so photochromic works.

The other pair are progressive non-polarized sunglasses with brown tinted lenses which I keep in my flight  bag. They have more substantial plastic frames.

The frame+headset interface has not been a problem with any of my headsets except a pair of David Clark I tried many years ago.

Needing readers, I get mine from av-sun.com and go with the AV-Sun Readers. They are clear on the bottom of the lens, where the magnification is, and tinted on the top two-thirds of the lens. Allows me to see the panel inside without having to adjust when it is sunny outside. Good for those of us who need magnification to see up close but do not need any help to see distance.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Huitt3106 It would be worth taking a look at these.  https://flyingeyesoptics.com

They were invented by a local pilot in the Austin area and a friend of mine. They are an excellent product and created specifically to solve the problem you're having.

+1 for flying eyes. I've a big head and these are the only frames I've had that a) do not break the seal on my a20s, and b) don't hurt like crazy after 3 hours of pressing against my big bald head

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ricky_231 said:

+1 for flying eyes. I've a big head and these are the only frames I've had that a) do not break the seal on my a20s, and b) don't hurt like crazy after 3 hours of pressing against my big bald head

I wear a 7-1/2 size hat, and only some "one size fits most" hats fit me. Always had trouble with sunglasses from my eye doc being loud, but only noticed it when changing glasses and the headser sealed so nice without them. Even m regular glasses were louder than without them. But I dislike the runway being blurry on final, so I put up with it.

Then I got a set of QT Halos and all of my glasses are equally quiet when I'm flying.  :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Huitt3106 It would be worth taking a look at these.  https://flyingeyesoptics.com

They were invented by a local pilot in the Austin area and a friend of mine. They are an excellent product and created specifically to solve the problem you're having.

Those do look quite nice!  Definitely at the top of my budget for this but its a consideration for sure.  I'd much rather get either an ANR headset but can't bring myself to pay that out right now.  I can't remember the cost of the QT halos but do remember seeing them on MS a while back. 

Just now, Ricky_231 said:

quieter than the A20s?

No question. 

Contrary to Phil's recommendation, I got custom ear molds made at OSH last year. Now they're even quieter and more comfortable. But they are quieter than the Bose right out of the box.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huitt3106 said:

Those do look quite nice!  Definitely at the top of my budget for this but its a consideration for sure.  I'd much rather get either an ANR headset but can't bring myself to pay that out right now.  I can't remember the cost of the QT halos but do remember seeing them on MS a while back. 

$360

2 minutes ago, Huitt3106 said:

That's not bad.  It seems like people on here are usually quite satisfied with them.  Do they seem durable and would last several years?

I got mine in Feb 2014. 

The design is specifically durable in that the speaker is wrapped up securely in the headband. The ear pieces are on the ends of hollow tubes. Since the ear pieces are what get constantly moved around, flexed, etc. very fine wires would tend to fatigue and break. But the rubber tubes don't. It's a really good design.

1 hour ago, Huitt3106 said:

That's not bad.  It seems like people on here are usually quite satisfied with them.  Do they seem durable and would last several years?

I got mine in time to fly from WV to S. Fla. for tank reseal in 2010. Also used them plugged into a handheld radio while mowing alongside the runway. Lightweight but durable! Even tried getting out of the plane several times without removing them first . . . . Forgot they were on!

• Like 1

I have ray ban caravan sunglasses. If you have a jpi 830, 730, 900 or and type of screen youll need non polarized. At ceetain angles the sceen turns completely dark purple with the polarized. All that ray ban stuff goes for like 250 to 300, but if you buy it off ebay theyre usually between 80 and 120. Mine are a square profile aviator since the teardrop style doesnt fit my facial features.

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yes, flyingeyes!  Owned mine for many years and enjoyed fit and visual aspects.

Unfortunately, a friends doggie decided he needed a chew toy ! :(

I have been flying with https://www.dualeyewear.com/

They give me the bifocal reader on the bottom and they fit well under my headset.  I think I may check out some of these others that have been mentioned though just for grins.  I have never been too loyal with sunglass companies.  Give me something functional that doesn't break the bank. :)

• Like 2

I had a nice set of Ray Bans until I left them in an FBO bathroom on my way back from Oshkosh.  They were awesome, but pricey, but I bought them at a charity auction, so it went to a good cause.

One word of caution with Ray Bans... once you've held a REAL pair of Ray Bans, you will be amazed how many retailers sell fake ones.  The lenses in the real thing are quite heavy and they feel very sturdy.  Most retailers sell knock-offs with lightweight lenses that just feel flimsy.

With the QT Halos, everyone either loves them or hates them.  I didn't find them as quiet as others, but my main issue was the mic.  It wouldn't pick up my voice without screaming or cranking the squelch up to the point the audio panel was picking up static from all the other headsets.  That said, if you buy them and don't like them, you can return them (I think it was 90 days) or resell them to someone else easily.

Bolle Flip or Grunt depending on which pair that happens to be closer. Glasses tend to be very personal choices; a reflection of who who think we are and what we want to look like to others. I prefer polarized but wear non for flying because I black out my screens. 

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

No question. 

Contrary to Phil's recommendation, I got custom ear molds made at OSH last year. Now they're even quieter and more comfortable. But they are quieter than the Bose right out of the box.

+1 on the ear moulds and got a set for my girl who flies with me too.  Mine are ugly yellow.  Hers are cute pink.

• Like 1