Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

2 hours ago, M20S Driver said:

Looks so peaceful and beautiful. 

I used to travel to Burlington and this reminds me of those beautiful fall colors in Vermont.

It is super beautiful this time of year.  All times of year in different ways.  First hints of autumn color today with a chill the last two nights.  Its interesting how those trees right t the waters edge a few are the first to show some color and some of them go from all green to vivid reds and oranges literally over a single night and you wake up to mist on the river and a bit of color.

I love Burlington!  Its the big city for us - actually I go to Burlington a week from Tuesday for my bi-annual flight review.

E

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great pirep MCM...

What was your plane for MSFS2020..?

Did you get the realism turned up high?

Best regards,

-a-

I tend to fly the Diamond DA62 or the Bonanza but every so often i'll pull out the non g1000 172,  really wish there was a Mooney 8).

realism is on high,  graphics are mostly high but i only run at a 2560 x 1440 resolution.  Framerates tend to run between 20 and 35 fps.  Hoping to build a new rig soon, would really like 2560x1440 at a consistent 40 or 50 fps

What also really helped, I hacked together some software which allows the msfs2020 to work with Garmin Pilot, allowing me to simulate most of what happens in the real plane.

Edited by McMooney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, toto said:

It's Ron - he's the local DPE for folks in KC.  Looks like gsxr got his ticket signed a few hundred feet from my hangar :)

Correct. Ron's a great guy with about 8000 hours in Mooneys, or so he said. I think I might have passed solely because he really liked my 252. ;) 

He told me a story about the old days at King developing their autopilots. Evidently Mooney hadn't paid their bill for several shipments of autopilots. So Ron and a couple of other officials from the company, flew to Kerrville and wound up taking a few new Mooneys back to Kansas as collateral. Mooney never paid the bill, went bankrupt, and King kept the Mooneys. Ron told me they had nine Mooneys. 

On 9/20/2020 at 6:54 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I figured I'd just put this in Todays Flight... actually it was Friday's flight. It's good to have this one behind me.

Now that you're a commercial pilot in CO you can get one of the fun flying jobs!

• Like 1

Autumn colors come on quick up here in Arctic USA.  You see my picture from Sunday with just a hint of colors.

Just flew at lunch time - and from about the same altitude but this time approaching RWY24 instead of the Sunday pic was approaching RWY06.  Lots more color!  I give it 2 weeks to peak color.  

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

• Like 6

Yesterday I flew our C from AL to CO.  Across AR through the remnants of TS Beta, experienced a 72 kt crosswind perpendicular to my route of flight.   Flew right through the center of circulation.  Net effect was an apparent 4 kt headwind.  I also dIscovered that the drain tube on the overhead air scoop in my aircraft is flow limited.   It was raining in the cabin from the aft air vents.   Scoop was closed, but significant water was getting in and the drain couldn't handle it all.  I've flown though rain before and didn't experience that in the past.  At least my radios didn't seem to get wet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Autumn colors come on quick up here in Arctic USA.  You see my picture from Sunday with just a hint of colors.

Just flew at lunch time - and from about the same altitude but this time approaching RWY24 instead of the Sunday pic was approaching RWY06.  Lots more color!  I give it 2 weeks to peak color.  

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

That’s gorgeous!  

I’ve been on a two wheeler on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the peak day of the fall colors.  Magnificent!

• Like 1

I was all set to finally solo today and my airport is socked in with ceilings at 006......  I’m going to try again tomorrow but the weather doesn’t look like it will be improving that quickly. 

Congratulations @gsxrpilot   That’s quite the accomplishment!  

• Thanks 1

Ahhh...

The lesson of patience has been given to you, Nick.

So far, you are handling it well...

Keep it up, there will be a great reward for those who properly wait...

I think this is called the get-there-itis lesson...

First, you recognize the challenge...

:)

Keep up the good work!

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

This is 'Yesterdays' flight and my official goodbye to Mooney ownership (but I will always love Mooney's). Taxiing to the hangar after an 8.5h flight (SRQ➞03NC) with three stops--and his is where I will really miss The Mistress, she would have done it in half the time. I knew that tree was going to get me at some point, but after 6.75h in the air, fatigue sets in :P The photo illustrates why I won't miss The Mistress, that hangar rash will buff out, it would have been an expensive A&P only repair on the E. 

...and I really need to paint a centerline on the taxiway...and no, I am not cutting down the tree.

726053973_Topazhangarrash.thumb.JPG.de719b26cb5d30c19694b64cdf056854.JPG

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, HRM said:

This is 'Yesterdays' flight and my official goodbye to Mooney ownership (but I will always love Mooney's). Taxiing to the hangar after an 8.5h flight (SRQ➞03NC) with three stops--and his is where I will really miss The Mistress, she would have done it in half the time. I knew that tree was going to get me at some point, but after 6.75h in the air, fatigue sets in :P The photo illustrates why I won't miss The Mistress, that hangar rash will buff out, it would have been an expensive A&P only repair on the E. 

...and I really need to paint a centerline on the taxiway...and no, I am not cutting down the tree.

726053973_Topazhangarrash.thumb.JPG.de719b26cb5d30c19694b64cdf056854.JPG

When you paint the line, just put a little jog to the right, or left...... depending on which way yer a goin’

Congratulations on continuing to fly.  

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

When you paint the line, just put a little jog to the right, or left...... depending on which way yer a goin’

Congratulations on continuing to fly.  

I am going to paint a line there. Of course, I could blame wifey for filming the event instead of paying attention to the wing clearance like a good line girl should! I need to get her a pair of lineman wands. On second thought, I guess I better not.

strobelight.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The filming was spectacular!

Not a Waver from impending doom at all... :)

The Mooney would have cut the tree down near the roots... sort of eliminating one of the next highly recommended steps....

Wait.... this just in....

It is possible to relocate this tree... fall is a good time for this...

PP thoughts only, not an arborist...

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

We were going to finally visit my parents this weekend. I haven't seen them since Thanksgiving even though they are only about 2 1/2 hours away by Mooney. Instead we ended up just flying to Phoenix and back without seeing them. We did get to give two sweet dogs a new lease on life. What derailed our plans? My wife's sweet, very well meaning daughter. If you want to know "the rest of the story" it's all in the blog post. Here's a couple pics from the trip.

20200926_110625.thumb.jpg.90974e2287baf02d876eb69e405a6135.jpg20200926_132358.thumb.jpg.e137b75c771dcd336e6468e400858a74.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/26/2020 at 9:44 PM, xcrmckenna said:

Flew down to Truckee for the night. Had dinner with@Thinwing. f0dc1ca781cd4ba6bdc3fed1bd587fa0.jpg
99245b0eee378e63c1db420cf84038e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While waiting for Charles to land ,I bopped over to the glider port on far end of runway.it turned out to be their last day of flying for the season.Chief pilot offered me a refresher flight to get me current...even launched a second glider for my wife.Charles photo show clouds right over the “house” thermal and it didn’t take long to find it..6/7 Kt climb to cloud base at 14 k.A little rusty on tow but quickly came back.Once instructor saw I could fly tow ok ,he relaxed and let me fly the rest.

5D5F71DC-43FA-4F10-84CB-B09388192613.jpeg

2EE47956-7126-4E0E-9DEC-465284F2AAE0.jpeg

7401D267-7F7D-4EA5-8925-9DA2FF7103DA.jpeg

• Like 6