Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

We continued our winter safari departing Flores Guatemala back to Mexico via Cozumel. Mexico only allows two ports of entry, excluding from the US border, which are Tapachula on the west and Cozumel on the east. We went into Cozumel so it would be easy to make additional stops in the Yucatan and Palenque. But the only real concern on this flight was realizing despite that we were going by a couple good alternate airports along the way we only had permission to land at our destination. Although if we needed too we would have declared and landed wherever, yet likely with considerable delay and added expense.67cca2c12aa91b33aca4bccd7b9cb5d7.jpg661052fb8bd9f96a769db05000154628.jpgf7ef2c985a372f87797bd19a1fae260b.jpg
We had pretty nice wx departing Flores and once again climbed on top of three different layers for a smooth ride north east to Cozumel in VMC. As we arrived and began our descent we saw we would find the forecasted 40% chance of rain in the TAF and stiffer than forecasted winds. But luckily we just went through the rain on the approach mostly over the water east of the field. The field was dry. But we encountered a very stiff direct cross wind gusting to 20 kts. Note in the picture on final, we're centered and tracking right down final, but see how crabbed we are into the wind! (At this point winds were over 30).
In fairness, I should point out that I did not have to land on this runway with a direct cross wind, I could have circled to a more favorable runway - they have 4 afterall. But I always enjoy getting some good cross-wind landing practice in when opportunity presents.
Being an international flight we were greeted by over a dozen officials before we finished shutting down.
f698e7f57d6040b8c1650cc4bd5191ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, kortopates said:

f7ef2c985a372f87797bd19a1fae260b.jpg
............and stiffer than forecasted winds. But luckily we just went through the rain on the approach mostly over the water east of the field. The field was dry. But we encountered a very stiff direct cross wind gusting to 20 kts. Note in the picture on final, we're centered and tracking right down final, but see how crabbed we are into the wind! (At this point winds were over 30).
In fairness, I should point out that I did not have to land on this runway with a direct cross wind, I could have circled to a more favorable runway - they have 4 afterall. But I always enjoy getting some good cross-wind landing practice in when opportunity presents.

Ah Paul, that's not much crosswind.  You're still looking out the windshield, not the side window.  :lol:

Nice updates on one of my bucket list trips!!

Tom

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kortopates said:

We continued our winter safari departing Flores Guatemala back to Mexico via Cozumel. Mexico only allows two ports of entry, excluding from the US border, which are Tapachula on the west and Cozumel on the east. We went into Cozumel so it would be easy to make additional stops in the Yucatan and Palenque. But the only real concern on this flight was realizing despite that we were going by a couple good alternate airports along the way we only had permission to land at our destination. Although if we needed too we would have declared and landed wherever, yet likely with considerable delay and added expense.67cca2c12aa91b33aca4bccd7b9cb5d7.jpg661052fb8bd9f96a769db05000154628.jpgf7ef2c985a372f87797bd19a1fae260b.jpg
We had pretty nice wx departing Flores and once again climbed on top of three different layers for a smooth ride north east to Cozumel in VMC. As we arrived and began our descent we saw we would find the forecasted 40% chance of rain in the TAF and stiffer than forecasted winds. But luckily we just went through the rain on the approach mostly over the water east of the field. The field was dry. But we encountered a very stiff direct cross wind gusting to 20 kts. Note in the picture on final, we're centered and tracking right down final, but see how crabbed we are into the wind! (At this point winds were over 30).
Being an international flight we were greeted by over a dozen officials before we finished shutting down.
f698e7f57d6040b8c1650cc4bd5191ee.jpg

Beautiful!  Great memories of Cozumel! Enjoy your continued adventures. 

• Like 2

The fountain at Fountain Hills, AZ is a landmark that can be seen from a long ways away, but usually defies capturing in a pic.   I took this today.   The little white thing in front of the wingtip is the fountain.   It is twenty miles away.   It's big, and very cool to see.   It makes an interesting landmark from the air when it's going, which is fifteen minutes every hour.

The pic still doesn't do it justice.

20200112_140930.thumb.jpg.8e4682a8f3786cf84bfa7428b4235d84.jpg

• Like 5

Headed back to snow country after almost 2 weeks at our Florida Spruce Creek home today.  Got a call Friday morning for a Med flight from ARB to CMX.  Decided it was more efficient for us to pick her up on our way back than someone fly from the U.P. to get her.  Headed to Ann Arbor this morning and when I picked up ATIS 15 minutes out, found the airport WAS CLOSED!   Ice on the runway.  

Luckily Willow Run (Yipsilanti) was open.  After some logistics getting my patient from Ann Arbor to KYIP,  we headed north with serious headwinds and got her home.  Although my wife wasn’t impressed about adding two more legs to a non-stop Florida to the U.P. trip, her enthusiasm changed when the patient literally lost it emotionally thanking us for the impact we made on her life today.  

And why don’t more pilots do these trips?????

Tom

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20200112/1330Z/7FL6/KYIP

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20200112/1645Z/KYIP/KCMX

• Like 9

On 1/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

Headed back to snow country after almost 2 weeks at our Florida Spruce Creek home today.  Got a call Friday morning for a Med flight from ARB to CMX.  Decided it was more efficient for us to pick her up on our way back than someone fly from the U.P. to get her.  Headed to Ann Arbor this morning and when I picked up ATIS 15 minutes out, found the airport WAS CLOSED!   Ice on the runway.  

Luckily Willow Run (Yipsilanti) was open.  After some logistics getting my patient from Ann Arbor to KYIP,  we headed north with serious headwinds and got her home.  Although my wife wasn’t impressed about adding two more legs to a non-stop Florida to the U.P. trip, her enthusiasm changed when the patient literally lost it emotionally thanking us for the impact we made on her life today.  

And why don’t more pilots do these trips?????

Tom

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20200112/1330Z/7FL6/KYIP

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20200112/1645Z/KYIP/KCMX

Most rewarding of flights!   Congrats.   I never tell the patients that i fly on these flights that I am also a physician.    I like listening to the stories from their side.   It adds the needed perspective adjustment for me.   

+1 Tom.  

Bradb

Meridian N951TB

former acclaim 

• Like 3

I am usually a day late on my Pics.    Today is the preflight from the hanger.   It is windy and snowing outside.    I’m doing the database updates and preflight in the warm hanger.    Tomorrow morning is a 9am pullout and departure.    First is Erie (KERI) to Charleston (KCHS) for fuel and a couple hours in the city with lunch.   Then off to Miami (KOPF) for some phototherapy for the weekend.   

Bradb

Meridian 951TB

former acclaim 

28998784-ECB6-40DE-B1D4-ED9007189A12.thumb.jpeg.370876ca2a30d46bc73d94a7d52fb131.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, BradB said:

I am usually a day late on my Pics.    Today is the preflight from the hanger.   It is windy and snowing outside.    I’m doing the database updates and preflight in the warm hanger.    Tomorrow morning is a 9am pullout and departure.    First is Erie (KERI) to Charleston (KCHS) for fuel and a couple hours in the city with lunch.   Then off to Miami (KOPF) for some phototherapy for the weekend.   

Bradb

Meridian 951TB

former acclaim 

28998784-ECB6-40DE-B1D4-ED9007189A12.thumb.jpeg.370876ca2a30d46bc73d94a7d52fb131.jpeg

You headed down alone?  My wife, despite just 3.5 hours from the U.P. to our Spruce Creek, FL home, will not do a short trip.  If it's not at least 10-14 days, don't bother asking her to go.  In the back of my mind, I'm wondering how many U.P. (snowbound) "available" woman might LOVE to go to Florida for a 3-4 day weekend?

I regress..........

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

So if you have an airfield thats underthreat where you are ask Foreflight or whomever to get you one of these maps, they are easy to do technologically, but may help you with the defence with the council, developers etc as it shows it is a big source of revenue for the town.  

The wag in me would also use it to show where the airways are getting worn out and will soon need money for maintenance, and that I have a company that can do it.  ;)

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 8:13 AM, Yooper Rocketman said:

You headed down alone?  My wife, despite just 3.5 hours from the U.P. to our Spruce Creek, FL home, will not do a short trip.  If it's not at least 10-14 days, don't bother asking her to go.  In the back of my mind, I'm wondering how many U.P. (snowbound) "available" woman might LOVE to go to Florida for a 3-4 day weekend?

I regress..........

Tom

Not alone on this one.   Bringing a “friend.” ;-)

Today was my first Mooney flight of 2020. I took my son on a flight from BJC to MTJ,  I was really a nice day to fly, even though it may not look like in some of the photos.  For those of you with young kids, they grow up so fast! 

E67DBDF1-E4AD-462A-B693-85A5FFAD5424.jpeg

53DABDDB-782E-4B79-B062-61770E96803A.jpeg

46F1BD82-E6A6-45D1-89D2-21A9D87823F1.jpeg

01566BBE-C3E4-4D28-AD68-1B8EAD7DE290.jpeg

15002A5E-1AB3-44E0-B04E-E70D0FABC99E.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

There are two types of people, those who look up every time they hear a plane and look to try and find it, and those that don’t even notice. My granddaughter Hazel, every time she hears a plane, is looking and pointing to the sky saying “Bampa!” My wife and I took Hazel and her mom for a short little flight yesterday. I only had to flip off the intercom a couple of times when she kept chatting and I was trying to hear ATC. After landing I got a "All done" and "Thank you Bampa" over the intercom. More pictures and a couple short videos on my blog.

https://intothesky.us/2020/01/19/hazels-flight/

IMG_3070.thumb.jpg.c6f10f62313513228215226e2638f63a.jpgIMG_3072.thumb.jpg.1ecf84893facc64fa38d62c5d31feea8.jpgIMG_3106.thumb.jpg.c91fb3019260924055dfc24d2c5fe5e5.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

My granddaughter Hazel, every time she hears a plane, is looking and pointing to the sky saying “Bampa!” My wife and I took Hazel and her mom for a short little flight yesterday.

Too cute!

• Like 1

No pictures from this morning's flight, and it was all of .1 or .2 on the tach:  LL10 to KARR to get a COM antenna replaced.  310HP Acclaim with only 30 gallons on board, on a windless, bright 12* morning.  Climbed out like a homesick angel, traversed the snow-covered landscape,  and touched down with barely a bump.  What a way to start the day: a memorable 6 minute flight.

-dan

• Like 2

Had my first flight of the decade today. Started terribly on this beautiful clear day. I had to fly down to Rockford IL (via Iron Mountain) to look at a E-LSA taildragger for sale. Of course, my GSM switch to my engine heater worked great BUT I didn’t have it plugged in! So I fired up the diesel tube heater after replacing the clogged nozzle (just happened to bring the new part with me) and pointed it at the engine from under the wing toward the cowl flaps. While that was going on I realized I didn’t install the tire chain set on the PowerTow. No problem — I’ll use my ice cleats to pull it out as there is an inch of solid ice with loose dry slippery snow blowing around. The rubber portion of the ice cleats were so bad they both ripped. I finally took the time to install the chains; took a solid 40 min after deflating the Powertow’s tire. Of course I was breathing in unburnt diesel fumes. I hook up the PowerTow and crap! The tire comes off the rim because I didn’t inflate it back up! Took me about 20 min to get it to seal on the bead. Oh man what a day! The flight South was extremely smooth. The airmet Tango didn’t have us experience any turbulence at all. The most disappointing part was that we left very late and couldn’t stop in Janesville for lunch at the on-site diner there. Everything else went smooth after such a rotten start. Logged 5.6 hours!

950b13f428e50ad7367f5235f0ffae92.plist

Recognize this airport?

• Like 7