Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

On 9/4/2020 at 8:53 PM, McMooney said:

More stories please, my girl is in for annual.

Think i'm going thru withdrawal

Survived the weekend without Birdie by fling kdwh-kord-kind-kdtw-cycz-kiag-kpwm-kbos-kjfk in MSFS2020.  Not even a pale substitute but man it has potentional.  Hope the MS team  continues to flesh it out.

I flew yesterday from Don Maxwell at GGG to Rusk County for fuel and then back to FXE.  RFI is a great little airport with a nice runway and well priced fuel. At only 15 miles away, it’s the perfect complement to the excellent service by Don, Paul, and their team.  While I was hoping for a tailwind at FL210 since I got one going there at 220, I of course ended up with about a 5 knot headwind most of the way.  The weather that I thought would dissipate into the evening hours on the west coast of Florida stuck around which made for some modifications to the plan.  ATC was great in helping me avoid it all. 

483DB9D3-1387-4741-85EE-89D2E52C9122.png

61336407-E260-46FE-858B-D404532421A9.png

9666F71C-D36A-4727-BC40-47A7A118E5E0.png

2EF2E6D7-C03E-4521-A099-63F4FB97E869.png

76CBE9CF-CF5D-4736-92C2-3B74E9FFDB53.png

E032EC0A-3407-441B-84EA-C9508762E5ED.png

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Davidv said:

I flew yesterday from Don Maxwell at GGG to Rusk County for fuel and then back to FXE.  RFI is a great little airport with a nice runway and well priced fuel. At only 15 miles away, it’s the perfect complement to the excellent service by Don, Paul, and their team.

I had a chance to meet the airport manager at RFI. He told me he checks fuel prices around the area every morning and tries to make sure he's the cheapest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I had a chance to meet the airport manager at RFI. He told me he checks fuel prices around the area every morning and tries to make sure he's the cheapest.

If it’s the same guy who I’ve met a few times he’s great.  Always thanks for coming on CTAF and his honor snack bar proved to be a good dinner or nutter butters and oreos for my 5 hr flight.

• Like 1

Nice calm evening flight, a CCW loop around Lake Martin. This is southbound on the west side  

20200913_175028.thumb.jpg.bdf146985656ff4c1d9b7e0be8058d64.jpg

winds were 050@5 at KALX, but my groundspeed varied from 149 knots headed south (above) and bottomed out at 109 knots going NE. The homeward leg was 124 . . . .

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Murder Creek out of its banks, flooding Brewton, AL, Thursday 17, 2020.

brewton2_al_2053Z17Sep2020.jpg

Has anyone heard from Operation Airdrop about supply runs to Southern Alabama / Florida Panhandle? I usually do, but they've been silent about Sally, haven't heard anything from them since the other one hit Louisiana far too recently.

46 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Operation Airdrop has a FB page...

Not too late to sign up... (FB)

That is where the above post originated...

:)

-a-

Can't join the FB page unless I first join FB.

Not gonna happen . . . .  Are my Airdrop flights finished?  :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Can't join the FB page unless I first join FB.

Not gonna happen . . . .  Are my Airdrop flights finished?  :(

All I got was the page with the hurricane weather graphic above...

It looks like some organizing is happening related to Thursday’s storm...

But I didn’t see anything more than that...

I joined FB to get Mooney related videos and things...

If you go to FB, let me know if you find me...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Today was my post annual checkout flight, learned a few things.

1.  check everything after the annual, mx are people too.

found a lot of missing interior panel screws, looks like they just missed putting them back in.

2.  new Tires make all the difference.  its amazing how much less power it takes to taxi or even move the plane about by hand, also my landing shimmy is gone.  glad mx  pushed me on this one.

3.  check EVERYTHING after annual,  sat for 5 mins at the edge of the runway trying to get clearance to take off, only after tower "suggested" I switch radios did i figure out that maybe turning up the radio would help.  note the tower suggestion was in that "omg you're an idiot tone".

By chance, msfs 2020 was released as my plane went to annual.  with nothing  better to do, i spent approx 15-20 hrs flying ifr to my planned real life destinations. Just gonna say wow,  It was amazing how much better I performed in the real plane, scan was improved,  stayed further ahead of the plane, barely any deviance from alt/heading.  just wow.

also thanks to @MBDiagMan,  my Brittain is back to 100% and tracking like it was on rails.

• Like 1

Here's a picture of my house!  First hints of autumn color.  Well I can see it and you can to if you know where to look - I better not point out where my house is exactly on the internet but I will say it is one of those very lovely houses on the river with a beautiful view.  This picture was taken yesterday during the last 90 seconds of my flight - I am lined up and landing on RWY 24 at Potsdam, so as you can tell I see all the traffic coming and going which I enjoy and I have a hand held radio and sometimes I listen to the traffic although its a quiet rural airport so even on a weekend often an hour or two go by and no traffic.

IMG_1117.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Here's a picture of my house!  First hints of autumn color.  Well I can see it and you can to if you know where to look - I better not point out where my house is exactly on the internet but I will say it is one of those very lovely houses on the river with a beautiful view.  This picture was taken yesterday during the last 90 seconds of my flight - I am lined up and landing on RWY 24 at Potsdam, so as you can tell I see all the traffic coming and going which I enjoy and I have a hand held radio and sometimes I listen to the traffic although its a quiet rural airport so even on a weekend often an hour or two go by and no traffic.

Looks so peaceful and beautiful. 

I used to travel to Burlington and this reminds me of those beautiful fall colors in Vermont.