Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

On 8/12/2020 at 7:44 AM, Ibra said:

Nice and scary sight Tom !

We got his young brother around west London, UK yesterday, all pictures from the ground, no flying options but it was visible from 200nm away :D

FB_IMG_1597235639013.jpg

Ok, wait.  Are you a farmer?  I grew up with views like that.  And an 1800’ grass strip we kept the Cherokee at.  But our tractors were/are green.   In fact, Dad’s retirement sale is this coming weekend.  

6 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Ok, wait.  Are you a farmer?  I grew up with views like that.  And an 1800’ grass strip we kept the Cherokee at.  But our tractors were/are green.   In fact, Dad’s retirement sale is this coming weekend.  

Lucky you ! no just various sights near my gliding airfield 

17 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Have you been here before?  Your dead reckoning from a photograph is fantastic!

Yes, Professor, I lived there for 4 years.   I was looking for the Pit.   :)     CCT ECE '82    (...and took canoeing for gym credits).   Took Ground School sponsored by a local CFI and passed my written (for the first time) during that stretch, but never flew up there.    It took a couple more decades to get my ticket. 

Last summer, a local pilot was looking for someone to fly right seat in his M20J to KOSH.    During the long flight, he mentioned that he lived WAY upstate NY for a spell; turns out he was there the same time as me.    It makes me wonder how many old Techers are also Mooney drivers. 

KPTD is on my short list of places to visit; I'll look you up!

Dave

1 hour ago, Seymour said:

Yes, Professor, I lived there for 4 years.   I was looking for the Pit.   :)     CCT ECE '82    (...and took canoeing for gym credits).   Took Ground School sponsored by a local CFI and passed my written (for the first time) during that stretch, but never flew up there.    It took a couple more decades to get my ticket. 

Last summer, a local pilot was looking for someone to fly right seat in his M20J to KOSH.    During the long flight, he mentioned that he lived WAY upstate NY for a spell; turns out he was there the same time as me.    It makes me wonder how many old Techers are also Mooney drivers. 

KPTD is on my short list of places to visit; I'll look you up!

Dave

No WAY!  Go Tech!  Yup - I am IN the ECE dept here at CU.   Canoeing for gym credit - don't you love it?  We have canoes and kayaks in our backyard.

I bet you would find it not quite as cold in the heart of winter these days compared to when you were here.  I have "only been here" for 18 years but it is warming noticeably.

You will need to come by some day and tell me all about what you did when you grew up - assuming you grew up yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I have "only been here" for 18 years but it is warming noticeably.

Judging from your winter posts, WAY upstate NY must have "warmed up" all the way to Sub-Arctic climate conditions! Bbbbrrrrrrrr-r-r-r-r-r!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Judging from your winter posts, WAY upstate NY must have "warmed up" all the way to Sub-Arctic climate conditions! Bbbbrrrrrrrr-r-r-r-r-r!!!!

It's true - all the old timers say ... it used to be waaaay colder.  And its true - I have seen data.  Sub-arctic is nice.  Arctic is for the birds (penguins) (well that would be Antarctic - you get the point).

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

The wierd thing about that day was the CBs built and then dissipated.

Yes a weird one: no rain, no strike and highly localised with clear weather around
That shape is too interesting to be flyable :lol:

I had a nice flight on Sunday night from X60 (Williston FL) to KGGG for some maintenance at Don Maxwell.  I’m always reminded how great it is to fly at night when conditions are good.  I was cleared direct on takeoff to destination and flew at FL200 initially and then climbed to FL220 to avoid all clouds.  Just me and the airliners up there. 

034E1DF5-CCB8-4B0F-B07B-BEDA8E3AF7ED.png

801998E7-CC85-4D91-AD11-2FE3D22760B3.png

ACBE81EC-EDAE-4D76-B6CC-868CADAECE8B.png

Edited by Davidv
  • Like 12

Sorry if this is more of a trip report than a flight! Wife and I were looking for a Covid escape and had planned a trip out west for our 28th anniversary. However, a business opportunity came up in the Great Lakes area. So we changed plans and flew from Pell City Alabama to Mackinac Island. I stopped in Fort Wayne to check the weather and took off after a short stop. We arrived in Mackinac Island with ceilings reported at 700' following a King Air on Approach. Had to throttle back for spacing (hehe) and broke out about 1000'. Short 3500' runway, but pulled off mid way. Took a horse and buggy taxi to the airport (called ahead in Ft Wayne). Then spent 2 days on the island at a lovely hotel and biked and hiked around the island. No cars allowed, just airplanes! This is a very doable stop in a Mooney - highly recommend a weekend end trip if able. There was one other Acclaim on the tarmac. 

Then flew down to Traverse City to spend some time with a friend at his house on Lake Michigan, played some golf and had a nice dinner. The next day, we did a scenic tour over his house then dropped him off in Toledo on the way to Cleveland. Great business meetings in Cleveland area then flew home this morning, leaving early to avoid possible storms along the route. The flight home was about 4 hours - the longest ever for my wife, and IMC much of the way.  6 days - 6 flights a lot of fun. 

IMG_9200.jpeg

IMG_9202.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_9221.jpeg

IMG_9245.jpeg

IMG_9263.jpeg

IMG_9297.jpeg

IMG_9320.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 2.02.19 PM.png

IMG_9303.jpeg

• Like 11

I went to Lake Placid, NY today (15 min away) fly fishing with my son.  There's the ski jumps.  It's a very interesting pattern - you fly just a few hundred feet directly over the ski jump where you make downwind the downwind to base turn.

There was an Acclaim there today - also with a four blade! First other Mooney besides mine with a four blade I have seen.  It looked great on the Acclaim!

It was so clear and low humid and beautiful today!

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

Flew into Blairsville, Ga. Nice airport, but my first experience flying somewhere where radar and radio coverage disappears. Couldn't get my return instrument flight plan started until I reached 6400 feet.  

Blairsville is great. My grandparents retired on a hilltop out from town.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rbridges said:

Flew into Blairsville, Ga. Nice airport, but my first experience flying somewhere where radar and radio coverage disappears. Couldn't get my return instrument flight plan started until I reached 6400 feet.  

A few months back a few of us met up at Lake Havasu (KHII) for lunch. @xcrmckenna left just before me. As I was climbing out I tried calling up approach for flight following. The only thing I heard back was from Charles saying "If you can get them I need a new radio." :lol: It was a few thousand feet higher before they could hear me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2