Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

5 minutes ago, thinwing said:

While waiting for Charles to land ,I bopped over to the glider port on far end of runway.it turned out to be their last day of flying for the season.Chief pilot offered me a refresher flight to get me current...even launched a second glider for my wife.Charles photo show clouds right over the “house” thermal and it didn’t take long to find it..6/7 Kt climb to cloud base at 14 k.A little rusty on tow but quickly came back.Once instructor saw I could fly tow ok ,he relaxed and let me fly the rest.

5D5F71DC-43FA-4F10-84CB-B09388192613.jpeg

2EE47956-7126-4E0E-9DEC-465284F2AAE0.jpeg

7401D267-7F7D-4EA5-8925-9DA2FF7103DA.jpeg

One more

E4839696-C0D1-44B1-8BD4-7EC49CCEE308.jpeg

B82A3D5C-EBE9-4EF8-BA0B-F4E65C49538C.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 6:35 AM, HRM said:

This is 'Yesterdays' flight and my official goodbye to Mooney ownership (but I will always love Mooney's). Taxiing to the hangar after an 8.5h flight (SRQ➞03NC) with three stops--and his is where I will really miss The Mistress, she would have done it in half the time. I knew that tree was going to get me at some point, but after 6.75h in the air, fatigue sets in :P The photo illustrates why I won't miss The Mistress, that hangar rash will buff out, it would have been an expensive A&P only repair on the E. 

...and I really need to paint a centerline on the taxiway...and no, I am not cutting down the tree.

726053973_Topazhangarrash.thumb.JPG.de719b26cb5d30c19694b64cdf056854.JPG

IMG_1812.MOV 17.98 MB · 9 downloads

Perhaps you can move the tree to a new location. win/win. 

Made it to fields station oregon yesterday. What a cool destination. Making the final turn to only see a highway instead of a road is quite weird, but there +3000 ft of useable road without signs in the way so it works just fine for any mooney.

The look of the bystanders watching a plane taxiing into a car parking spot = priceless.

20200928_234948.jpg

20200928_234931.jpg

20200928_234909.jpg

• Like 4

Made it to fields station oregon yesterday. What a cool destination. Making the final turn to only see a highway instead of a road is quite weird, but there +3000 ft of useable road without signs in the way so it works just fine for any mooney.

The look of the bystanders watching a plane taxiing into a car parking spot = priceless.
20200928_234948.thumb.jpg.366565a5956b4863416f894c864d0709.jpg
20200928_234931.thumb.jpg.1cf995fc181c927dea4ab161472c3125.jpg
20200928_234909.thumb.jpg.ed83cf36111f6b3896cc7d9faf95be39.jpg

Awesome! Next time you fly in there let me know. Short hop from John Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally took off the training wheels and used my instrument rating without an instructor to bust through a small layer and head to Colorado for some mountain flying training. I had a great instructor and due to the cold front moving through an intense first experience with flying in the mountains. I’ll be back for sure, and me and the wife are already day dreaming about a house in CO...

45A8EC5C-9E05-4C34-9EA0-300A444E45CF.jpeg

A8995965-6531-4916-83D3-45EB5E610D90.jpeg

79A98FEC-326A-418F-8565-1B4FE39BB9C5.jpeg

7905531B-E830-49ED-A606-CCFBF223A872.jpeg

3A1C839A-E35F-4EBC-8A2B-2305C85D9CBF.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

Awesome! Next time you fly in there let me know. Short hop from John Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill be back in bend in a couple months and will probably fly back to fields. Im in oregon for 4 more days and will probably spend tomorrow either in smiley creek or johnson creek if thats something youre keen on. Most Mooney ownera however dont like flying on grass. Ill be camping over there.

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

Niko has some of the most interesting landing locations on MS record... :)

I kind of expected to see a red Mooney. The description is reminiscent of piperpainter, although he seemed to eschew both asphalt and smooth, flat areas . . . .

Good job, Niko!

• Like 1

Piperpainter Preferred the unimproved surfaces... the more unimproved the better...

Here’s my plane in the back country...

Here’s my plane on my Uncle’s Ranch... including the steer in the pic...

Here’s my video Of the trees looming large in the windshield...

PP really knew his plane...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Piperpainter Preferred the unimproved surfaces... the more unimproved the better...

Here’s my plane in the back country...

Here’s my plane on my Uncle’s Ranch... including the steer in the pic...

Here’s my video Of the trees looming large in the windshield...

PP really knew his plane...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

"Here's a video of me landing my Mooney on an eastern Oregon goat track right after my buddy in the tundra-tired Super Cub did a go around . . . . " His Mooney is still around here with a new owner, but he's in a tail wheel somewhere.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, Hank said:

"Here's a video of me landing my Mooney on an eastern Oregon goat track right after my buddy in the tundra-tired Super Cub did a go around . . . . " His Mooney is still around here with a new owner, but he's in a tail wheel somewhere.

I’m possibly mistaken, but my somewhat fuzzy memory recalls seeing the little red Mooney as salvage on eBay a few years ago. 

I do recall Bryan as he had the Mooney painted red with the black tail at ArtCraft several years ago.  Had it touched up there too after a very large bird strike repair was completed.

Tropical storm penetration in a Mooney C!   Just looked at my photos and FlightAware data from last week's flight from AL to CO.  I flew right through the eye of decaying TS Beta over Arkansas.  Check this out- central pressure was 28.85".  I had a 72 kt crosswind going in from the left and the same coming out from the right.   Here's what's cool-  even though the wind was 100-degrees to the left off my course, which would ordinarily give a slight tailwind component, the crab angle was so large that it resulted in an effective 6 kt headwind!   Couldn't see the crab angle as I was in IMC at 8000 ft.  It must have been impressive.

TS_penetration_24Sep2020.jpg

• Like 2

I've been running low on altitude recently, and went out for another fix today. This is climb out, with KALX visible behind me. 

20201003_115053.thumb.jpg.56fbbdd592f63466bc8218c9aa475b36.jpg

And this is the sadness of an away game . . . .

20201003_121328.thumb.jpg.81db7182449fae179591054e18a8229a.jpg

As long as we beat the bulldogs, I'll be happy! :P

It was quite bumpy above 2000msl, not near as smooth as this makes it look. Not bad, but I'd rather not have a first time passenger today.

20201003_123135.thumb.jpg.3254a19315f0470adff0861415dc7a7e.jpg

While I didn't overfly the neighborhood today, it wasn't far. That's home in the circle.

20201003_130102.thumb.jpg.f8d531391ae4e93742ead0987265eb7c.jpg

Any excuse to fly is a good one!

Edited by Hank
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

There’s a lotta Canadians out there today that always make me worry about low altitude this time of year.

Canadian Geese that is.

Yes.

While flying from Fort Collins/Loveland, Colorado, (FNL) to the southeast around the DIA class bravo last week at 9500 I saw something ahead that looked like a hang glider in a descent straight ahead of me.  

???

A few seconds later I recognized it as a flight of Canadian Geese.    A few seconds later my inner Sully said "keep looking".   They were everywhere at my altitude.  Proof:

geese_at_9500_NE_DIA.JPEG

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Yes.

While flying from Fort Collins/Loveland, Colorado, (FNL) to the southeast around the DIA class bravo last week at 9500 I saw something ahead that looked like a hang glider in a descent straight ahead of me.  

???

A few seconds later I recognized it as a flight of Canadian Geese.    A few seconds later my inner Sully said "keep looking".   They were everywhere at my altitude.   Flying north?

We almost smacked something big coming back from Leadville...an eagle maybe? We were somewhere around 13.5k.  Thought he was going to get out of the way but he made a big circle and put on his air brakes like he was wanting to hang out with us.  If my arm could fit through the storm door I could have touched him.  Way too close for comfort. 

19 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Big and adept at climbing... expect vultures to be on the list...

Like Eagles they like to eat meat... Slow meat is OK with them... :)

Best regards,

-a-

You know I only saw him close for about a millisecond but a turkey vulture looks a lot like that Sunday driver I almost rear ended...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is no justice in this picture. The moonrise was simply AMAZING! The moon was super bright orange and I could make out surface details like never before. The sunset was equally stunning. P.S. Ignore the dirty wing...

57557_Moon_OCT2020.thumb.jpg.1ad47f71568a9e5312e93b459652a7de.jpg

Edited by jonhop
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, The Other Red Baron said:

We almost smacked something big coming back from Leadville...an eagle maybe? We were somewhere around 13.5k.  Thought he was going to get out of the way but he made a big circle and put on his air brakes like he was wanting to hang out with us.  If my arm could fit through the storm door I could have touched him.  Way too close for comfort. 

I hit a small sparrow about a year ago on short final into KFDK but luckily it was very small.  It hit the windscreen like right in front of my face and a big bird would have come straight through to my head.  But luckily a tiny bird it bounce off and left an ugly blood stain like a big big bug splat.  Yuk.  The line guys helped me clean that off but no damage at all.

A few years ago an eagle swooped pretty darned close past my and really surprised me and was past me before I could react.  A but a wings width distance away.  Those are very large birds.

No pics from my own flight this weekend but I had my oral and practical phase check (pushed back a week due to weather 2 weeks ago).  Was timing limited and got back to the airport a bit late so I’d have had to change planes to solo so I just pushed that to next weekend.  Sunday, my friend asked if I could ride right seat with him as he took someone back to KADS.  We left Chicago from KPWK in the morning and filed 330kts at FL350.  This was our route coming through AR into TX. Kind of funny hearing ATC read that route off.image.thumb.jpeg.1aaea7f1e91fc60e91c23a738df2edb6.jpeg  

We picked up some BBQ and a gluten free pie to bring back to the family for dinner.  On the way back, pireps indicated rough rides above FL350, so we were assigned 330.  We got dropped to FL190 in MO, and down to 9k’ over southern IL.  Fuel burn skyrocketed and we ended up landing with just under 500lbs remaining. 
here we were 50 miles from home at 4k’ after spending the last 50 miles there.

image.thumb.jpeg.fc72dc1354306542056a586009959f00.jpeg

Lessons learned on this trip? I need to work on my system for copying long clearances and the handoffs to different controllers. That happens a lot quicker when cruising at 330kts. 

Proof I brought food back for the family after a long day of flying.  image.thumb.jpeg.0e5ec419146f095fbd57fb4e3ec142ab.jpeg

And I think I deserve some kudos from @carusoam for getting my pics oriented correctly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1