Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

@Scott Dennstaedt

Scott is our weather guy... he might like to see Tom’s weather pics...

Great out the window shot of very interesting vertical development and the associated red radar image...

Looks like a mushroom cloud...   signs of a lot of power?

Thanks for sharing the details, Tom!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 10:15 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

Flew back from MSP area to KIMT this morning.  Had some weather pop up during my flight home.

Nice and scary sight Tom !

We got his young brother around west London, UK yesterday, all pictures from the ground, no flying options but it was visible from 200nm away :D

FB_IMG_1597235639013.jpg

FB_IMG_1597235684167.jpg

FB_IMG_1597235694898.jpg

FB_IMG_1597235701655.jpg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 6

@Ibra, on my first IFR flight (VMC all the way), I had just leveled off at 9000 msl and saw two anvil thunderheads in front of me. Turned out they were 300nm away . . . I was over WV, the storms were in SC . . . . . Distance can be difficult to judge, don't get too close. 

• Like 4

On 8/12/2020 at 4:32 AM, rainman said:

Saturday morning sunrise flight to join nine other gyroplanes for some formation flying and BBQ in the Texas Hill Country. I know it was not in my Mooney, but it was awfully pretty. Ray

B505D28F-E64C-462B-B2BE-930754BAB29B.jpeg

Very fun!  My hangar neighbor is a gyroplane CFI.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:44 AM, Ibra said:

Nice and scary sight Tom !

We got his young brother around west London, UK yesterday, all pictures from the ground, no flying options but it was visible from 200nm away :D

FB_IMG_1597235639013.jpg

Scary stuff.  That cloud looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Mike

I always enjoy seeing that farming is farming, pretty much wherever you are.  Cheers.

• Like 2

Flew home from Chicago yesterday and was amazed by the smoke in the Denver area.

First picture is from FL240 approaching Denver.  Clear above, cloud/smoke tops were about 21000.

Second picture is flying the IFR approach to KBJC.  At 8000 (2300 agl) the ground was barely visible over the nose.  Looking straight down was a little better.

Also had one of the worst slam dunk ATC approaches ever.  At approx. FL220 they told me I had to be at 10000 in less than 8 minutes.  Almost said unable but the air was smooth and I was able to make it pulling back power and descending at yellow line.

DE052C8F-A44D-4CEF-9347-1EAAEF77C41C.jpeg

762183F4-9422-4C8B-9086-DBEDDF1D9146.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Not going anywhere these days as state rules here would require me to quarantine.

But I am still flying - enough to keep the old bird happy.

Lovely summer's day a a few days ago this picture.  Puttering around clouds.  Shiny clouds on the wing.

If you have good eyes, you can see my point of departure, my home drone at the upper left of the scene and my house is 2 miles or so from there.

IMG_1035.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

When the paint is sooo shiny, you can’t see the color!  :)

Go ceramics!

Best regards,

-a-

:-)  Ceramics still holding up!

Here's another picture from the same day 2 min later and here you can better see the true color.

IMG_1036.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 6:09 PM, aviatoreb said:

Not going anywhere these days as state rules here would require me to quarantine.

But I am still flying - enough to keep the old bird happy.

Lovely summer's day a a few days ago this picture.  Puttering around clouds.  Shiny clouds on the wing.

If you have good eyes, you can see my point of departure, my home drone at the upper left of the scene and my house is 2 miles or so from there.

IMG_1035.jpg

I love flying in awesome weather conditions like this!  The color contrasts are absolutely breathtaking! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seymour said:

....and the Raquette?     (Trying to orient and identify some landmarks)

WOW!  You are good!  Have you been here before?  Your dead reckoning from a photograph is fantastic!

The second picture I posted with the level wing you see a river running right along the wing and that is indeed the Raquette.  The house I live in is immediately on the Racquette with a beautiful sunset view.  I paddle in the mornings behind the house.

The first picture I posted with wing dipping and more cloud color reflecting on the wing - you see a U shape lake in the distance in the middle of the scene - that is "Norwood Pond" but that pond is actually also the racquette river slowed and widened between two damns but it is still a slowly moving river.  Some seasons I row on that water with the crew coach in a 2x.

In the map scene here of this flight I was just north of the field looking south to the racquette - KPTD is in Potsdam where I live and also the airport I keep the plane.  The other two airports are KMSS to the north (two runways) and KOGS to the south west and that's Canada just to the north.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 8.46.10 PM.png

Edited by aviatoreb