Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

40 minutes ago, bonal said:

Why so many FedX jets sitting idle. I would think with all the online shoppers they would be much in need.

Fedex air cargo volume is strong.  The aircraft at Victorville have been mothballed there for several years or more, and are planes retired due to obsolescence.  There's a large number of 727s, which Fedex hasn't flown since 2002/3.  They retired their last A310 this past January.  Nothing to do with cargo volumes.

They currently have >70 B767/777s on order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahh, that picture is kind of misleading 

Ahh, that picture is kind of misleading 

8f852306938ee3951a722e0454925ade.jpg

Curses! My ploy to deceive everyone by sharing my obviously fake still photos of 350 airframes has been foiled.

For most people, this would be a wake-up to decency, a call to reform heretofore evil ways, and devote oneself evermore to good and decent pursuits.

But, like any self-respecting supervillain, I shall simply up my game, as it were...I shall release is an even better (photoshopped) video of said 350+ airframes, all part of my sinister plan, which I shall reveal in hideous detail to the hero even as I condemn him/her to a gruesome, yet painstakingly slow, demise.

I shall release the video ... for the payment of ONE MILLION DOLLARS...or a pm with your email and I will share it with you.

In the video, please note the detail, the sunlight and shadowing, even the accurate (per FAA registry) N numbers depicted on the hundreds of idle aircraft ... or are they? Bwahahahahaha!!!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Delaware to Bossier City, miles of farm land in Tn, Ms La , typical LD flight instrument take off, calm mild for 4-5 hours then all hell breaks out, shot RNAV12, 120/ 15 g25, great to get out for first time due to covid. Remember during these long boring flights in unstable air thunderstorms abound to brief and rebrief the approach’s. Don’t let complacency step in, the only job will be to put it on the ground in one piece, pay for a hanger and put it to bed. Got hit with big gust and went upside down

Happy Memorial Day

DCC2AF38-0B5C-4219-B4FE-4808D67DD440.jpeg

98898235-5C02-46A1-96F3-974F55057CEC.jpeg

C7F12B3D-9ADA-4A83-BB5F-FE9FB4AC9D10.jpeg

• Like 5

Wow think there’s enough planes on the ground 

Believe it or not, there is also KMHV (Mohave), which also has many as well, though not as many. And some were there before COVID. Nevertheless, there is a lot of lift just sitting.
  • Like 1

Did several approaches today on a flight plan and I did this one for the first time even though it is only 28 miles away.  Rnav23 into Kmss massena right on the border sends you about 5 miles into Canada so I think you need to actually be commanded to do it.  I’ve never done it.  Seems the dozen or so times I’ve diverted to massena over the years for their lower iLs it’s been to ils 5.  And in vfr practice I wouldn’t try rnav 23. It’s so close but forbidden... You can see the runway from the Canadian side and that river is the st Lawrence seaway which is the border.  Runs from the Hudson Bay through Montreal to Lake Ontario so it’s a big shipping route / eg from the ocean to Chicago.

the other picture is right over our little town Potsdam and I can see our house!

A54F9ACC-2186-4C48-B644-57B352FBA718.jpeg

1A7D50DB-70DB-41ED-A452-66C954D0D062.jpeg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

I had a pretty rough day today flying.  Since I’m still a student I’m renting.  Preflight this morning went ok except the last renter left the key in the ignition (off thankfully).   Got the weather and taxi clearance to the runway, and started my run up.  After the run up, I turned on the lights to enter the runway and heard a popping noise through the headset.  Ammeter showed negative charge too.  Well that wasn’t going to work.  Tower told me to taxi back via the runway all the way to the hangar.  CFI booked another plane on the way back.  By the time I was taxiing out with the new plane, they had the cowling off and were troubleshooting. I took off and we decided to just do some short and soft field take offs and landings for a little bit.  First trip around the pattern and dropped flaps, soft field So full flaps.  It was a nice landing, and on roll out, pull flaps up, full throttle, started my climb, hit 1700, and smoke in the cockpit.  Not a lot, but enough.  And a popped breaker for Comm 2.   So my next landing was a full stop.  Got back to the hangar and the tach time was 666.4.  I called it a day.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

It was a beautiful day today and I had my first x-country since getting the plane back from the shop.  Flew KMYF to KHMT and had lunch at  Bambi’s Hangar One Restaurant (well worth a stop - they make the best fresh pies!!).  Afterward, I filed an IFR flight plan to KOKB to try the hold with the GPSS functionality added by the Aspen EA100 - was pretty cool.  The autopilot did a beautiful teardrop hold entry and entered the hold without any input - makes it effortless and too easy.  Flew back to KMYF happy for such a great flight.  The sky was busy, the restaurant was full and there was skydiving activity at KOKB.  It almost felt like the good old days...

9A57B8E4-5956-448D-AF4E-5A369C7EE036.jpeg

• Like 6

Decided to come home from my trip to NW Louisiana to Delaware, varying conditions. Started out with a 25 knot headwind ended up with a 30 knot tailwind. Experiencing a 60 knot change in winds is a first for me. Typical storm avoidance was necessary 

E349FA98-C334-40FB-AF0E-D0E90575C868.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Danb said:

How the heck do you flip the pictures upside 

My pictures are upside down about half the time. But I don't post them if they're that way. Just delete the picture out of the post. Then I'll rotate it on my lap top a couple of times and re-add it to the post. If it's right then I'll post it. If not, delete it and try again. It usually doesn't take me more than one time to get it right.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Danb said:

How the heck do you flip the pictures upside 

Easiest way is to take a screen shot of each picture on your phone.  For whatever reason the screen shot is right side up on MS.

Had KSAT all to myself today.  seriously, i was the only plane moving on the whole field.  

Tower and I had a whole conversation about how i had the International airport all to myself.

They didn't even bother to switch frequencies from clearance delivery, ground or tower.

sad seeing dozens of aircraft just sitting around rusting.   was like a dozen a380s  stuck in some corner.

• Like 1

The important thing is to post the pic...

Somebody else will come along and straighten it up...   :) (don’t feel bad, it happens to everybody...)

The magic is hidden... but even idevices can edit, rotate, and save... (it is that simple)

It has improved with time... just not perfect yet...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I’ve been doing more night flights lately and as a bonus the sunsets have been really nice.  Benefiting from shooting approaches every time (suggested a few months ago on MS) because of the dark surroundings...farm land on all sides.BC92F51D-60CB-4BA1-8FA0-5792486AD045.thumb.jpeg.1ebac3900c7ad2477b0a5e414e219562.jpeg

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

You got IV ports in the plane too (just like at work)?  :lol:

No, but when I was a paramedic and we went to Vegas for St. Patrick’s Day we did bring some supplies...

It’s oxygen tubing. We all like oxygen. O2D2 up front and O2D1 in the back set to go on at 5000’. Kept it below 8000’ for the puppy.

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

No, but when I was a paramedic and we went to Vegas for St. Patrick’s Day we did bring some supplies...

It’s oxygen tubing. We all like oxygen. O2D2 up front and O2D1 in the back set to go on at 5000’. Kept it below 8000’ for the puppy.

Ya,  I used a lot of O2 over the years in my Rocket.  Don't need it much anymore with the IVPT.  I DO hang the mask around my neck and require all passengers to do the same anytime above FL-240 though.  Too long to get to a breathable altitude from there.  I also have an Icarus altitude alert that my headset cord plugs through (6 pin) that works amazingly well for cabin altitude deviations.  There would be many more pilots alive had they been using this valuable tool.

Tom

• Like 3

There’s a free iPhone app that can provide cabin altitude alerts as well. It’s called “Pressurization.”  The screen shot shows it set up for the 5.5 psi differential of the P46T.  It sounds a loud annoying tone and blinking light if the cabin pressure drops below a present limit.  

58264052-6C4B-415B-BEDB-2B8CED18ECD5.thumb.png.ff44b3531eeac40228013be241fed338.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Ya,  I used a lot of O2 over the years in my Rocket.  Don't need it much anymore with the IVPT.  I DO hang the mask around my neck and require all passengers to do the same anytime above FL-240 though.  Too long to get to a breathable altitude from there.  I also have an Icarus altitude alert that my headset cord plugs through (6 pin) that works amazingly well for cabin altitude deviations.  There would be many more pilots alive had they been using this valuable tool.

Tom

54 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

There’s a free iPhone app that can provide cabin altitude alerts as well. It’s called “Pressurization.”  The screen shot shows it set up for the 5.5 psi differential of the P46T.  It sounds a loud annoying tone and blinking light if the cabin pressure drops below a present limit.

Yeah, I would never get a turboprop because it would be SO ANNOYING to have to deal with all those pressurization issues. I think I’d probably fall asleep behind a reliable smooth engine with no vibration effortlessly taking me into the flight levels.

I’m much more comfortable with a maze of tubes dangling from the cabin and the reassuring feel of the cannula shoved up my nose.

On a serious note, I actually didn’t mind the oxygen until I got the dog and am now really jealous of those with pressurized airplanes. Definitely the way to go. Although if I had a pressurized plane I wouldn’t have been able to ask NorCal for a gradual descent “because I have a puppy”— which they actually gave me.

Controller was in a great mood and even made a self-deprecating reference to a Kinky Friedman song to a plane headed to El Paso.

• Like 2