Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

Taxing out at ICT today for my first flight in nearly 8 weeks, got a treat with "Doc" , actually taxied behind me on Alpha. 

They were doing a tribute flight with three tankers out of McConnell for first responder's/medical folks around the Wichita area. I was due back about the time they were scheduled to finish, was hoping to hear "69Q, cleared #2 behind the B29. Didn't work out though.....

image.png.ca2ed03c80d8d4eb821b1baf984ce8b7.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldguyscanfly said:

Taxing out at ICT today for my first flight in nearly 8 weeks, got a treat with "Doc" , actually taxied behind me on Alpha. 

They were doing a tribute flight with three tankers out of McConnell for first responder's/medical folks around the Wichita area. I was due back about the time they were scheduled to finish, was hoping to hear "69Q, cleared #2 behind the B29. Didn't work out though.....

image.png.ca2ed03c80d8d4eb821b1baf984ce8b7.png

Wow!  That's cool.................you've got a vent window on the passenger glass? 

With "some" things loosening up my wife left Tuesday for UT to visit some of the grand kids. I took my first day off work this year on Friday and flew up to spend the weekend there. The flight there was a nice smooth one with favorable winds. The flight back today, a very different story, very bumpy and working around some buildups. There was a nice little one over Henderson that kicked up some dust. I almost never make long flights solo so took advantage of the flight back stopping in Delta for cheap fuel and then Riverside for cheap fuel and to check off the Solo Cross Country flight requirement for the Commercial Ticket. All the flights to Utah, Arizona, the coast to coast, and this was only the second time I've done one of them solo.

Flight there Friday
20200508_104425.thumb.jpg.f9a4d276141db915c187a6f39049a0de.jpg

Storms on the way back
20200510_130606.thumb.jpg.26d76c604cff07e7d089546b97c8e8ad.jpg

Vegas
20200510_133742.thumb.jpg.3c819498a4bd837bd2b11f4c29966cfe.jpg

Planes parked at San Bernardino
20200510_145855.thumb.jpg.daa6c1eb012bcf32ffe971bf78861f57.jpg

• Like 10

Made a flight to LVK yesterday to visit Mom for Mother's Day was almost eerie how little traffic was apparent. Monitoring different frequencies and not a peep. LVK tower is only open from 9 to 5 when we were about 15 miles out I made our first call after listening to the ATIS and first response was your cleared to land 25 right.  As we were rolling out tower asked where do you want to park.

Marine layer was way inland and we flew VFR on top. 

image.jpeg

Edited by bonal
  • Like 6

Fear not as the view to the east had ground in site but to be honest all the airports that would provide a safe out in the event of an emergency were under the layer so some increased risk was being taken. 

image.jpeg

A few days ago my friend had to drop off his Bonanza in New Smyrna Beach for a new engine and turbo (he will be able to out run me under 20K when it’s done!) so I offered to give him a ride.  I followed him and there in formation and and he also got some good shots of my plane. Rather than bore people with 30 different angles of my plane I just included one!

76EBDA98-C92B-4EFF-A4CA-7C960EEA2B55.png

14E86437-7283-4459-87F0-C1A04C9AEF60.png

• Like 9

Scott @Denver98, and I flew a load of PPE's, and Respirator parts to a remote hospital in Eastern Colorado today. Although there's nothing to see out on the prairie, we didn't mind the smooth as we flew east of the mountains. This stuff was heading to the Regional hospital in Wray, CO.

Note the flat floor in the back of the Mooney with the back seats removed. It makes for plenty of room for the 10 boxes of supplies.

IMG_0481.thumb.jpeg.cc3a548420910820fb7301ce12763d64.jpegIMG_0480.thumb.jpeg.e52b696f717d6a66b47995567a15aba9.jpeg

IMG_0484.thumb.jpeg.f3e6372bbf8614a11809010f7883a960.jpeg

• Like 10

I went to KRME today for cheap fuel.  It was 3.11/gal when I departed and it was $2.74 by the time I got there 30 min later!  That is officially the cheapest fuel I ever got!  I took on 76gal. I wish I had a tanker.

There was some kind of UAS there talking to the tower but the airplane was unmanned and doing touch and goes.  It was tiny like half the size of a normal 2 seater airplane, and shaped roughly like a forward canard LongEZ.  You can sort of see it in on the runway behind my plane.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Canard-ly see it behind your plane!  

It was tiny. Like half the size of a two seater for humans and had an engine that sounded like a lawn mower. It was funny hearing the “pilot” talking with tower / probably sitting in some other city.

Great time today. Met @Paulyslug and his wife to show them a short body after they got to see @MikeOH's F. Took them up for a short flight and let her fly to see how a Mooney handles. The air was pretty smooth, I did not have the best of landings, bounced it once on the mains before settling down. I've had better, but then definitely had worse.

• Like 3

Needed to stock up on supplies and as always Snoopy aka moms grocery getter fit the mission.  We headed out towards WLW where there is a super Walmart, our local WM has very little on their shelves.  As we crossed over our eastern hills (mountains) to those of you east of the Rocky Mountains we flew under the convective building  clouds encountering  some pretty serious bumps likely nothing compared to the turbulence those of you with thousands of IMC flying have encountered .  It takes a long time to drive anywhere from Lake county but Snoopy solves that so perfectly.  Got a bit behind the airplane as we approached home but just pulled the slip on final from the tool box and took the elevator down to pick up the one white one red and made a nice landing with some pretty challenging winds on the ground.  The second picture is of an old Mercury mine that has some history behind it. During the Second World War it was one of the biggest supplier of mercury for the war effort. Obviously now it is a environmental hazard maintenance site. But sure is a pretty color of turquoise.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by bonal
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

went there again today, a lot easier, even though the wind was 60 degrees off the runway blowing at 27 knots.  

Not sure why you have a 20/02 runways in a place where the wind always blows 09/27 :D?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

“AL go around for the police helicopter”

“AL don’t move & raise your wings” :lol: 

Hopefully, the other side of the coin is that the airfield will get lights and stay open during the night now that ambulance & police are based on the cross runway !

cc72e7f87fa47624581b4959c8edc964.jpg
359f89e0f8cf1a8e4c848eb7aed79c6c.jpg

Parked airframes at Victorville (KVCV). Controller approved a low pass (apparently it’s a common request recently) and told us 350+ aircraft parked there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2