Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

It is a Flightworks Capella XS. Whoever had it prior to Jan 31, 2008 filed the proper paperwork to "sneak" it pass the LSA deadline. I was in Louisville, KY over the weekend and attended the "Light Sport Repairman Inspection - Airplane" class. That will allow me to apply for a repairman certificate for this aircraft even though I didn't build it. I definitely learned a lot at this class regarding the LSA formalities. I question whether or not I would have bought my Mooney knowing what I know now ;) . I wish the FAA would mimic Transport Canada's Owner Maintenance category. But still, their formal list of supported aircraft only shows the M18C, M20, M20A, and M20B as being eligible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ohdub said:

I "saved" some money today by flying to an airport a half hour away that has less expensive gas.

20200224_172829.jpg

I just about broke even on a similar flight. $1.00 cheaper than my home airport. 55.6 gallons 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I flew to Aircraft Spruce East at FFC to buy some oil.  I took this appropriately weird photo for Feb. 29, 2020, while waiting to depart FFC in our M20C.  Lots of warbirds at that drome.  I suppose in support of the film industry around Atlanta.  This one seems to be a North American dressed up to look like a Japanese Kate torpedo bomber.

Japanese_Kate_29Feb2020.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

This one seems to be a North American dressed up to look like a Japanese Kate torpedo bomber.

There were a bunch of T-6s and Vultees that were modified for the movie Tora! Tora! Tora! that are still out flying around with various museums and groups.   I'd wager that's one of them.

Meanwhile, Sedona was its usual photogenic self today.

20200229_150434.jpg

• Like 5

I know this isn't a "flight of 2020" exactly, but it is sort of ... so I am not sure where I should put it but I wanted to put it somewhere - it brought a smile to my face for sure.

I'm not sure if this little guy ever got off the ground.  It was a local cardboard box slide a few days ago.  This guy has the best card board box I have ever seen!  

screenshot_346.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Welllll

probably the last photos I ever took inside 49Q

managed to get to 208kts GS ROP

and to 26.4MPG LOP. Mooney’s are amazing, great landings on both flights, all ya gotta do is fly the numbers!

DD560AB7-F3F2-4748-8FF4-71C88B5ECCA5.jpeg

0222C249-5F5F-48E4-9963-7F12DE835B0A.jpeg

E3F1D3BA-6BF9-4DFA-A609-1AFB7133C746.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On our way to pick up son in Terre Haute and on to New Orleans.  WW2 Museum is amazing, weather and food was top notch, and the wonderful restoration of the Lakefront Airport  terminal (plus a great restaurant) was a welcome success story for general aviation.

3.5 down and 3.5 back in the awesome Acclaim.

-dan

F73E0650-0B73-40C3-A834-B0C01D1C9347.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, bill98 said:

Welllll

probably the last photos I ever took inside 49Q

managed to get to 208kts GS ROP

and to 26.4MPG LOP. Mooney’s are amazing, great landings on both flights, all ya gotta do is fly the numbers!

DD560AB7-F3F2-4748-8FF4-71C88B5ECCA5.jpeg

0222C249-5F5F-48E4-9963-7F12DE835B0A.jpeg

E3F1D3BA-6BF9-4DFA-A609-1AFB7133C746.jpeg

I think I saw your plane at Flightline First when we were at KNEW last weekend.  Really sorry for your loss.  KJWN looks like a mess, but stuff can be replaced, and I hope your last trip in49Q was as great as ours.

-dan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, exM20K said:

On our way to pick up son in Terre Haute and on to New Orleans.  WW2 Museum is amazing, weather and food was top notch, and the wonderful restoration of the Lakefront Airport  terminal (plus a great restaurant) was a welcome success story for general aviation.

-dan

Lake front is amazing. I always used Flightline. Even tried to convince one of the girls at the FBO to attend the wedding I was in town for over the weekend. Tried Over an 8 month period. Their employees are simply awesome. 

On 3/3/2020 at 10:31 PM, exM20K said:

-dan

If you ever come down to the SDF area, let me know. I’d love to check out an Acclaim. 

55 minutes ago, daytonabch04 said:

If you ever come down to the SDF area, let me know. I’d love to check out an Acclaim. 

Wilco.  I have a Louisville-based software vendor to visit this spring..... if anyone is still doing F2F meetings with the current panic.

-dan

Flew out to a nearby pancake breakfast today. Good food (Conecah sausage!), a little bumpy up to 2500 then smooth as glass. A quick glance showed 164 k kts ground speed . . . . Descending through 2500, almost at yellow line, I had to reduce power it was so rough.

Went home at 2000, bouncing for 30 slow nm (~120 knots). I had thought that I could get some nice pictures, but it was way to bouncy and twitchy.  Climbout was interesting, 110-115 mph, 1500 fpm. Pretty good for a C!

Did meet a local MSer. Hey, @351rocketpilot! Cool plane!

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

Did two round trips to KOSU this weekend, picking up and returning my good friend Joe so we could review progress on his Lancair IVPT in my hangar.  Did the 1,000 mile round trip this afternoon in under 4 hours with a 40+ minute fuel top off at OSU.  

What an amazing home built airplane.  

Got to see a pretty sunset flying northbound through Lower Michigan, looking out at the shore of Lake Michigan.  

Tom

BEF99759-93FF-4962-929B-7D7EEB526B6E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My baby sitter had an out of town doctors appointment so I got to stay home to watch the little one. We made good use of the good weather to meet up with some friends for lunch in Hood River.

194cb182c6f4c5d9a69d28a2208425db.jpg
1fe7827d25039ea69de3c5e594740c54.jpg
1b0f23f029e62d55d315d759392e5491.jpg
446bb98fc4873b1112d57e306c3c72de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

This morning, my wife and I flew to Lake Placid, NY (KLKP) to see our middle son who is competing there in the Nordic events, collegiate nationals.  Its a 1:45 drive from here into the mountains but only 15 min to fly.  And the nordic events were literally across the street from the airport, in the ski jumping center (but cross country races - not jumping).  How convenient is that?  So much time saved that we saw our son and I am still at most of a normal length day at work if I stay a little late.

I almost bought a t-shirt at the jumping center that said, I'd rather be flying and it had a picture of a ski jumper.  Now I regret I didn't- I need to go back Saturday to see him compete again...

Its a cool airport because you make the downwind to base turn literally over the topic of the 90m hill ski jump - which by the way if you have never seen one in person - looks a lot bigger and crazier than it does in on tv.

E

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 4