Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

I got a flash flood outlook warning earlier today...

Some of us are sharing the same weather pattern.   :)

I’m the blue dot. And the weather is moving in my direction...   :)

Scott D. Our weather guru is going to laugh at my weather description skills...

Best regards,

-a-

77957055-CB79-48B5-B5F3-D42C967FE047.png

Don't worry - @Hank and I are sitting in the yellow splotch west and southwest of Atlanta and feel your pain. According to the forecast, we should have a nice day tomorrow, possibly Sunday, and then rain for the foreseeable future. Like a week or more. Already drained 3" out of the pool and likely doing it again before dark. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My wonderful co-pilot this morning was Chuck Gary [90 years young].  Chuck got his Single Engine Sea rating in May of 1957, out of Commodore Aviation based at Sausalito, California seaplane base, in Luscombe 8E, 2805K, s/n 5532.  Chuck soloed at 11.50 hours.  Over the next several months, Chuck accumulated a total of 60 hours in the Luscombe and a Piper Super Crusier PA-12S. 

Chuck began his short flying career at the suggestion of his brother, George Gary, who was Eastern Regional Director of the FAA during the 1960's.   Upon Chuck's marriage, he and his bride made a decision whether it would be airplanes or horses..............they chose horses and lived happily ever after !

I will say, based on today's experience with Chuck at the controls once airborne, one never forgets the feel for flight, even after 63 years!  A great time today with a fine gentleman! 

Chuck 2_crop.jpg

Chuck.JPG

Chuck 1_crop.jpg

• Like 12

Flew with a friend to lunch at the new Bar& Grill at KPLU (replaced long time cafe).
Mt Rainier from table.  Sorry about the Cessna. It was there
9E786432-F32C-4472-BA43-D45C9AC09E0C.jpeg.eb7526834664a6dd540b0093b362c9cf.jpeg

Toyota’s in the picture last week and Cessnas this week...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

Yesterday morning heading back to Alabama from Colorado at 9000 ft, I spied a portion of the Cimarron cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail in southwestern Kansas that has not been obliterated by posterity or the railroad.    When I was in line with it, it really jumped out at me as a really long two-rut wagon trail.   Then I grabbed my phone and took this photo a bit after the fact.   The Santa Fe Trail was active from about 1812-1880, linking Jefferson City, Missouri, to Santa Fe, Mexico, then New Mexico after 1848.  Photo looking NE.

Santa_Fe_Trail_Cimmaron_Cutoff_W_Kansas.jpg

• Like 14

Monday Shareena, Emmalyn, and I flew back from Roseburg. Sadly we were there seeing family in the hospital. There was an over cast layer of about 1000’. It was the first actual I’ve had in months. Maybe spring is coming.
40956d4cdafcc262ac827ed6337dbe7e.jpg88cc98365c02cc9ec2648de747d7e972.jpg4363e40efe7270684bb85aab5f4a171d.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

There was an over cast layer of about 1000’. It was the first actual I’ve had in months.

You should come over here! We've had very little blue sky and an awful lot of rain since just after Thanksgiving . . . . .

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:31 AM, aviatoreb said:

Beautiful evening and I was up with a mission to test a replacement VOR radio unit - ops check good.

There's Lake Placid in the distance - site of the 1932 and 1980 winter olympics, as seen from 7500 ft almost right over my house.  Its winter as you see by the white stuff everywhere.  And lovely evening light.  Severe clear today, still winds and bluebird gorgeous.  We have 18-24'' of new snow coming during the next 48 hrs starting tonight.  Good thing I like snow!

IMG_0267.jpg

Hello everyone.  I just sent Erik a PM about his start ignition that I notice is the original OEM type.  I wasn't going to post publicly as this is not really the correct forum to discuss this issue but after further consideration, I thought I would anyway given its importance and is something I was not aware of before it happened to me.  I am sharing the PM for the benefit of those who may not be aware of a problem associated with the original type. I have previously mentioned this in at least one thread some time ago, so for MSers who may not have been around or remember and still have the original, I hope this post benefits you. 

Years ago, Mooney moved away from the original and installed into their production models the new type that uses the Medeco key. Needless to say, I also had the new type fitted post accident, as did many other Mooney owners in Australia as a result of what happened to me. I don't remember the upgrade as being overly expensive at that time.

Please don't ask me how this could suddenly stop an engine as I cannot remember in technical terms plus I am electrically illiterate. There was no ATSB investigation, however my mechanic and some highly regarded electrical engineers did their own investigation and arrived at the conclusion the old ignition was the most likely cause.

The New Zealand authority must have been onto something.

Mods - Please feel free to move this to another forum if desired.

The PM -

Hello Erik.

I notice in your beautiful photo in the Today's flight in the year 2020 thread that your Mooney has the old style ignition and key.  The reason I brought this up with you is 12 years ago my J suffered a sudden engine failure and although the investigation was inconclusive, the smoking gun culprit was thought to be this type of ignition, which was the original OEM fitted system such as yours.  No other fault was found.  I and a lot of other Mooney owners here in Australia had the latest ignition system fitted, which includes the Medeco key that you may have noticed some forum threads and discussed occasionally.  Mooney changed to the new style some years before my issue and therefore all new Mooneys have that type.  

In my case there was evidence of much carbon built up through arcing behind the ignition switch.  It is interesting that neither Mooney or the FAA have mandated any type of inspection or replacement of the ignition switch whereas the New Zealand and another country's authority (I can't remember the country) have a 500 hour inspection mandate.  Australia's CASA could not care less.

It might be worthwhile talking to your aircraft mechanic about this.

Victor 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Hello everyone.  I just sent Erik a PM about his start ignition that I notice is the original OEM type.  I wasn't going to post publicly as this is not really the correct forum to discuss this issue but after further consideration, I thought I would anyway given its importance and is something I was not aware of before it happened to me.  I am sharing the PM for the benefit of those who may not be aware of a problem associated with the original type. I have previously mentioned this in at least one thread some time ago, so for MSers who may not have been around or remember and still have the original, I hope this post benefits you. 

Years ago, Mooney moved away from the original and installed into their production models the new type that uses the Medeco key. Needless to say, I also had the new type fitted post accident, as did many other Mooney owners in Australia as a result of what happened to me. I don't remember the upgrade as being overly expensive at that time.

Please don't ask me how this could suddenly stop an engine as I cannot remember in technical terms plus I am electrically illiterate. There was no ATSB investigation, however my mechanic and some highly regarded electrical engineers did their own investigation and arrived at the conclusion the old ignition was the most likely cause.

The New Zealand authority must have been onto something.

Mods - Please feel free to move this to another forum if desired.

The PM -

Hello Erik.

I notice in your beautiful photo in the Today's flight in the year 2020 thread that your Mooney has the old style ignition and key.  The reason I brought this up with you is 12 years ago my J suffered a sudden engine failure and although the investigation was inconclusive, the smoking gun culprit was thought to be this type of ignition, which was the original OEM fitted system such as yours.  No other fault was found.  I and a lot of other Mooney owners here in Australia had the latest ignition system fitted, which includes the Medeco key that you may have noticed some forum threads and discussed occasionally.  Mooney changed to the new style some years before my issue and therefore all new Mooneys have that type.  

In my case there was evidence of much carbon built up through arcing behind the ignition switch.  It is interesting that neither Mooney or the FAA have mandated any type of inspection or replacement of the ignition switch whereas the New Zealand and another country's authority (I can't remember the country) have a 500 hour inspection mandate.  Australia's CASA could not care less.

It might be worthwhile talking to your aircraft mechanic about this.

Victor 

•  
  •  

Thank you Oz for your concern.  I am replying here for everyone instead of to the PM and I think you have the right idea to make this bit public.

So trying to understand what happened and what you are saying.  It is the actual key switch device that is the issue?  Did you change it to a different unit from a different company.  If yes, what is the replacement.  Do you have a picture please?

Otherwise can you say what the inspection consists of?  In fact my airplane is in the shop this week getting its mags done on schedule.  Actually I am having one make IRAN inspection for its 500hr and the other mag I am having replaced with the surefly electronic mag as the turbo mooneys were just added into their STC list a few weeks ago and the timing is perfect for me!  I am looking forward to trying that out!

But back to this discussion - since it is in the shop I would appreciate more info what is involved in either replacing the Medco key or otherwise what its inspection consists of.

So this is not an FAA-SB but let us consider it advise from fellow pilots as a AFP-SB.  I am one to learn from the experience of others and I will comply with this AFP-SB if I can understand further what to do.

E

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Thank you Oz for your concern.  I am replying here for everyone instead of to the PM and I think you have the right idea to make this bit public.

So trying to understand what happened and what you are saying.  It is the actual key switch device that is the issue?  The device and associated wiring. Did you change it to a different unit from a different company.  Yes. I cannot remember the name of the original, but the change was to Medeco..  Do you have a picture please? Not at this time as all my panel pics have the yoke blocking the ignition switch.  I will have one later today as I will be going out to the airport.

Otherwise can you say what the inspection consists of?  I wasn't present but I believe it is the internals and associated wiring searching for evidence of carbon resulting from arcing and shorting out. In fact my airplane is in the shop this week getting its mags done on schedule.  Actually I am having one make IRAN inspection for its 500hr and the other mag I am having replaced with the surefly electronic mag as the turbo mooneys were just added into their STC list a few weeks ago and the timing is perfect for me!  I am looking forward to trying that out!

But back to this discussion - since it is in the shop I would appreciate more info what is involved in either replacing the Medco key I don't think that replacement was too onerous but as you known, hands the size of finch's feet are needed for work under the panel. Perhaps @M20Doc can chime in. or otherwise what its inspection consists of. See previous paragraph.

So this is not an FAA-SB but let us consider it advise from fellow pilots as a AFP-SB.  I am one to learn from the experience of others and I will comply with this AFP-SB if I can understand further what to do.  I totally agree.  Let me know if I can help further.

E

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbridges said:

Thank goodness for an instrument rating and a dependable plane.  Great weekend in sunny Orlando with friends and family only to return to crappy, cold wet Georgia.  

IMG_20200216_104851.jpg

151kts. TAS? That's moving along in your C!

• Like 3

I know, not a Mooney  but hey I'm current till September 8).  

was actually quite fun, I was surprised how hard it is to hold GS in one of these things.

Also Garmin PIlot updated to version 10, adding graphical Arrival/Departures.

Today's been a good day.

fmx1.jpg

• Like 4

Few Monday’s ago flying home from Las Vegas headwinds we’re terrible!!! Made the usual 5 hour flight home 6.5 plus a fuel stop in Derby. Never saw anything faster than double digit ground speed. The up and down drafts were 1,500ft per/minute consistently. My auto pilot was having fits. I stayed VFR and pretty much let the winds have their way with us.
ddd39d67d0fd39f7eff046889f4105f5.jpgba605735d879df190039d5468bd7f50e.jpge4c657fda7b48dd81bfa1665cdb1c32f.jpg41edb24e5767555e8a0e646c1e4d0a71.jpg

• Like 7