Today's flight in the year 2020

bonal

Took my wife flying for the first time in 252AD, finally.  We did a rescue flight for Pilot N Paws yesterday (1/24/202).  Two Rottie “puppies” were rescued from a facility in Amarillo, TX and are in Denver to be placed with new families.  Bruce and Mila are two very sweet pups and they were a delight to have along.  Bruce was in a harness and got to be in all the photos.  

352A6242-4196-42A7-B027-EE639CFE9DEC.jpeg

A4B6866E-5A0A-46AB-B856-3091A712F211.jpeg

D00B5964-78DC-41D2-BE5A-23BB90230440.jpeg

• Like 15

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

ILC,

Did Captain Benny turn 10?

Or did his lesson funding dry up?

:)

-a-

He’s turning 10 next month. I told him to get a job at the FBO since that would get him a discount on lessons (they subsidize the Cessna so it only costs $50/hr for employees) but he said no. I guess Gen Z is the laziest generation so far!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

201QH got to visit @jetdriven and @Beccas 201EQ Sunday.  Went up to pick up a tug I bought from Byron but missed its owners, unfortunately.   Great flight up and back.  I did pick up some light icing on the decent to the east of Dulles.  There was an airmet over the mountains but no reports for the Dulles arrivals (total air temp differences between me at 150kts and the jets at 230-250).  Picked up probably 1/8 in in 1000 ft of cloud in a few minutes. Outs were stay above the layer or descend below, just don’t hang out in it.  Wouldn’t have been able to turn East (FRZ) if another exit was required, however.  Reported to ATC.  Airmet Zulu addended and a couple of other light GA reported as the soggy airmass moved East.  

201EQ is absolutely gorgeous.  Hopefully next time I’ll get to meet it’s caretakers.  

D1463A6E-D64B-475D-AD79-875E521CEF64.jpeg

164FCC6F-087B-412E-A3F3-894EE136B8BB.jpeg

634F8C6C-7202-476C-978A-C1141A34E618.jpeg

C5E5CB97-CDBD-4BEC-96BD-03B5E4A9B125.jpeg

... which brings up a good learning point - I turned pitot heat off after exiting clouds.  Might have been a better idea to leave it on if any moisture had the potential to Re freeze.  

• Like 6

I had an interesting spook yesterday. I flew to Burlington, VT on an absolutely gorgeous bluebird-cold-crisp day for a work meeting.  ~5F on departure.  Maybe 12kts of wind.  I put on the cowl covers hoping to hold in the heat for my departure in about 3 hrs but it ended up being closer to 5 hours and the engine was stone cold soaked when I took of the covers, considering it was maybe 20F not to mention wind.  So I called for the line guys with the pre-heater thing which blows hot air into the cowl nose holes.  Its pretty effective.  In 10 min it was reasonably toasty in the engine area - climbed in - and oil was about 60F as I fired up.  But then while I was getting weather on the ATIS I heard alarms and looked up and saw my CO monitor was alarming already at 60ppm, and climbing to 80ppm, and I figured uh-oh-problem houston.  So I opened the door (on the ground remember) opened the window and about to shut down when I saw it was already decreasing quickly.  Within 2 min it was down to 10.  Before I taxied it was down to 5 and it was 2 by the time I was on take off roll.  And back to the usual 0 during cruise. (Oh and I had closed the door by the time it was down to 10 - remember its cold too).

So you see what happened - that heater had been blowing some heavy duty CO hot air into the engine area and since I started up almost immediately before it dissipated on its own, it came right into the cabin.  

Anyone ever have that?

• Like 3

Roundtrip flight from home to KFSO,  Swanton, VT (where an extended downwind yields a "Welcome to Canada" Verizon text) to retrieve Moondance from the paint shop on Wednesday.   Then flew to Bar Harbor, ME on Thursday before dropping it off for its Annual just before sundown.   Two absolutely spectacular days of flying sandwiched between months of downtime.    

Mt. Mansfield area - Very appreciative for the flight up in a friend's SR22.

image.png.37f9ba5558bb32d69f8d726b6223699b.png

...and even happier when I arrived...

image.png.0507cddb829dc403befff38526db40bf.png

....and ecstatic to have a gorgeous second day to fly up the Maine coast and back.   

image.png.864ce8de02e79fb8d9c2587b5a250f9f.png

Now back to flying the simulator for another month or two while waiting again.  

Dave

• Like 5

Friday I had my first cross country of the year and only second flight of 2020. Two friends and I flew down to Las Vegas for some playing and working on my house. All week it was forecasted to have 30+kt tailwinds but that didn’t happen. It was still a good flight.

As always on my cross country flights I fly for max endurance and run a tank dry. I brief the passengers of the engine sputter to come. And show them it’s a non event and we keep flying onward. The three of us, 30lbs in baggage and 50lbs of flying equipment I only put on 50 gallons of fuel. It was a four hour flight down and still had almost 2 hours of fuel left in the plane after touch down. God I do love my Mooney!!!!!

40af2517ef87f62828e99f4dd8dce350.jpg33a3eaad91ff8a5f4c56cc09dc4f699e.jpgdf80c1954ca067bbc3e8b1c2a128a7b8.jpge96a4b8495d74314c46a7f6bc2cc7ff5.jpgf059de4110a39be3e1e8e5e970e29d74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Saturday I had my second cross country of the year. I made plans to meet some Mooney pilots in Lake Havasu for lunch. Sorry @EricJ for the poor situational awareness..... I flew down to Vegas with two buddy’s but one of them was a little to hungover to be in a plane. So Wayne and I met up with @MrRodgers and @Skates97 there was three other Mooney’s tied down but didn’t get to meet their pilots. The food is always good at Hangar 24 and highly recommend it.

It’s an easy airport to get into and cheap fuel. As I was entering the downwind on the 45 a LSA  was landing straight in on 32. He called a “short” 4 mile final. I was looking at his ground speed of 40 knots. I thought about cutting in front of him but I was the bigger pilot and extended, and extended, oh an extended my downwind to accommodate him:)  

The flight back to KVGT I was hoping to get the transition from Henderson straight north to VGT. It’s cool to fly right over the strip and McCarran but they routes us to the west  after Vegas approach handed me off to tower they said I would be number two for 12R I was given vectors for base. About that time tower came back and said 1NU we are going to change things up, you are number 1 go straight to the numbers.

I was about 4500msl so I pulled the throttle back to slow down, dropped the gear and slipped her down. The ForeFlight track looks like a perfect extended final into runway 07. But about 10 feet north of RWY 12R I snapped it around and made a perfect landing. I thanked the controller for the fun approach, in a very sexy voice she said you’re welcome:)

Sorry for the upside down pictures, hopefully  Marauder or Carusoam fix them...

13684347-5941-4A6B-828F-02D48B413943.jpeg

C22CE98B-8FD3-4105-A6B4-346714CB37E2.jpeg

318324CA-EEF6-486E-B630-99EF2BC62670.jpeg

3AF267A5-3440-4E86-AF1E-EB9B3D9DA52B.jpeg

3BF5BB83-031D-4516-825B-AB209C677762.png

• Like 4

Today was a beautiful day for flying, I didn't have anywhere to go but I couldn't pass up such a nice winter day with a bunch of snowy days in the forecast. I flew over Stratford Ontario (I lived there for a couple of years) as I meandered around enjoying flying for the sake of flying. It wasn't as busy as I was expecting it to be, but there were a bunch of targets on the screen

.20200205_102046.thumb.jpg.bd4312ec83fc4147880d4e1baebbdd43.jpg

20200205_100541.jpg

• Like 6

Beautiful evening and I was up with a mission to test a replacement VOR radio unit - ops check good.

There's Lake Placid in the distance - site of the 1932 and 1980 winter olympics, as seen from 7500 ft almost right over my house.  Its winter as you see by the white stuff everywhere.  And lovely evening light.  Severe clear today, still winds and bluebird gorgeous.  We have 18-24'' of new snow coming during the next 48 hrs starting tonight.  Good thing I like snow!

IMG_0267.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Beautiful evening and I was up with a mission to test a replacement VOR radio unit - ops check good.

There's Lake Placid in the distance - site of the 1932 and 1980 winter olympics, as seen from 7500 ft almost right over my house.  Its winter as you see by the white stuff everywhere.  And lovely evening light.  Severe clear today, still wings and bluebird gorgeous.  We have 18-24'' of new snow coming during the next 48 hrs starting tonight.  Good thing I like snow!

Glad to see that someone is out flying. Been raining for 2 days, with at least one more to go. We're down tonthe last 24 hours of Flash Flood Watch, too!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hank said:

Glad to see that someone is out flying. Been raining for 2 days, with at least one more to go. We're down tonthe last 24 hours of Flash Flood Watch, too!

This time of year - when the weather's good - gotta go - get while the gettin's good! - to keep the engine happy.

I should send a picture tomorrow - its going to be a blizzard!

E

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hank said:

We took Snoopy out a few days ago, weather has been not so hot for most of a month. Was just a milk run but a perfect flight except for one little mistake.

I got a flash flood outlook warning earlier today...

Some of us are sharing the same weather pattern.   :)

I’m the blue dot. And the weather is moving in my direction...   :)

Scott D. Our weather guru is going to laugh at my weather description skills...

Best regards,

-a-

77957055-CB79-48B5-B5F3-D42C967FE047.png

• Like 3