Zion and Bryce canyon

skyking1

No personal GA experience flying that area, but been looking at potential retirement locations and I love that area.  For convenience, KSGU is the sure bet, in fact I’d almost venture to say they have more GA operations than commercial there.  The runway is 7500 feet or so and brand new.  Bryce Canyon is a nice runway but it’s kind of on the edge of an RV park so there’s transients there.  Not much else there convenience wise.  Cedar City is pretty nice too but I don’t know much about the FBO there.  If you need a car, go to KSGU.  Vegas is a couple-three hour drive if that’s more your speed. 

I forgot, I spent the month of August out there for work a couple years ago.  It’s hot, so pick an airport you are comfortable with the density altitude of. 

Edited by Nick Pilotte
  • Like 1

If you’re at KSGU anyway, try to do the Grand Canyon flyover.  It’s awesome.  Theres a special chart (it can be downloaded in foreflight) that shows the vfr corridors, altitudes and frequency.  Its easy to do and an awesome flight.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The wife and I went to Zion/Brice/etc a year ago in our Mooney. We landed in Kanab (KKNB). It's a longer runway and a nice little airport. Call ahead to get a rental car and they'll pick you up at the airport. 

I totally skipped over KKNB.  I’ll look into that one too.  For Bryce Canyon, I guess I didn’t mention the elevation along, but I agree with being very cautious. 

Another cool site in the area is the Hurricane Mesa airfield up above Hurricane and Virgin. It’s closed but there is a rail system there that they test ejection seats on sleds.  You can see it on satellite views.  

• Like 1

I live in St. George, SGU would be your best bet for a rental car,  a lot of the tour companies for Zions are in Hurricane. You can land at Bryce Canyon and have Ruby inn come pick you up. You can also fly over Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon in a couple of hours. I take friends and family on that loop often.

• Like 1

In the summer of 2018 we landed in Cedar City, rented a car, and toured all around southern Utah and northern Arizona.   We did a lot of driving but we saw a bunch of national monuments: Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon, Escalante Staircase, Capitol Reef,  Moki-Dugway, Monument Valley, and Glen Canyon.  That took 4 days.   Overflew the Grand Canyon on the way out.

• Like 1