How to reattach flap springs?

ELT

Hi

During annual found a crack requiring the doubler at the flap attachment and the hole for the flap retract spring on the right side of the flap jack shaft was elongated.  We are reinstalling flap jack shaft but the springs seem impossible to stretch for reattachment.

Has anyone reinstalled these springs and how did you do it if you are not Superman.  

thanks for any help as my AI has the goal of flying the plane today,

Eddie

I did mine so long ago that I don’t recall.  However, when I more recently did the huge gear springs, someone suggested using washers between the coils to pre stretch the spring.  As I recall, bend the spring and insert washers of appropriate size to help get some length.  Install spring in the more contracted flap position and when the spring is stretched further the washers should fall out.  Not sure this will work in this application, but worth exploring.  Keep count of the number of washers, don’t want to FOD out the controls.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 8:40 AM, ELT said:

Hi

During annual found a crack requiring the doubler at the flap attachment and the hole for the flap retract spring on the right side of the flap jack shaft was elongated.  We are reinstalling flap jack shaft but the springs seem impossible to stretch for reattachment.

Has anyone reinstalled these springs and how did you do it if you are not Superman.  

thanks for any help as my AI has the goal of flying the plane today,

Eddie

my Mechanic did this SB for me in Van Nuys....I have no idea how it was done but it brings back memories....replaced the springs as well...that was difficult being that mooney did not have anymore and they recommended a spring that I though was way to small and strong but it works great.

1317269668_IMG_5724copy.thumb.JPG.12da5808160975ea6d11e2df53f988b5.JPGIMG_5778.thumb.JPG.39f0b6bad88c2dd391d8fe00a55fe8c8.JPGIMG_5780.thumb.JPG.29c6c494a97cfb33889b56b72825e947.JPG