Lets clearly establish the used 430W market

Lets clearly establish the used 430W market  

64 members have voted

1. 1. You have either a bad 430, or no GPS whatsoever. Which of the below do you chose?

• A used 430W ebay special for $6500
    • GTN650 for 10500(Average street price a little on the high side)
    • Avidyne 440 (slide in replacement, current product. Advertised price of 10,900 (I don't have street prices for this))
    • Do nothing. My airplane hasn't had a gps for 40 years and it doesn't need one now!

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

So what’s the next technology innovation that will drive the avionics market?  AI boxes that handle radio calls,  navigation, and autopilot functions? If I can’t get to the airport, will I just call my plane and have itself fly around;-)

Not AI, just digital comms, where your clearance comes directly into your nav system and programs your route and sets your transponder code and appch freq for you.   

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

So what’s the next technology innovation that will drive the avionics market?  AI boxes that handle radio calls,  navigation, and autopilot functions? If I can’t get to the airport, will I just call my plane and have itself fly around;-)

Um the drones have been doing that for 5 years.

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I don't think the 155 and 375 are going to help Garmin at all. The trend has been towards integrating pieces into single units, i.e. the larger glass systems that include PFD/MFD/Engine monitor/gauges, etc. I like having Com/Nav/Transponder/XM Radio/etc... all in my GPS navigator. The 155 and 375 are going the wrong direction there. 

Just my amateur opinion...

Paul, I get what you're saying but don't agree- although I'd love to see the sales numbers for the GPS-175 and GNC-355.

In my $40,000 M20C, I have a rock solid NAVCOM/ILS (KX-155) and a solid #2 COM.  All I really need is a WAAS GPS.  So my options are:

-new GPS-175: $4300

-20 year old GNS-430W: $6500

-new GTN-650/Avidyne-440: $11,000

That's a no-brainer: new GPS-175 stand alone WAAS GPS.  The kicker is, I can install the 175 myself and save an additional $2000.

For your 252, I get it-  I'd install 2 Aspens and 2 Avidyne GPS/NAV/COMs.  And then I'd post pictures constantly just to piss off Peter Garmin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Paul, I get what you're saying but don't agree- although I'd love to see the sales numbers for the GPS-175 and GNC-355.

In my $40,000 M20C, I have a rock solid NAVCOM/ILS (KX-155) and a solid #2 COM.  All I really need is a WAAS GPS.  So my options are:

That's a no-brainer: new GPS-175 stand alone WAAS GPS.  The kicker is, I can install the 175 myself and save an additional $2000.

For your 252, I get it-  I'd install 2 Aspens and 2 Avidyne GPS/NAV/COMs.  And then I'd post pictures constantly just to piss off Peter Garmin.

Wait. WHAT? Am I missing something on the self install of the 175? 

It's STC'ed and sold over the counter (unlike the GTN series).  But I'm an A&P/IA so i can do it myself.

But with that said, if your mechanic is comfortable with avionics, they can do it.  And since it's STCed, should be acceptable for Canada.

18 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Very good points and well put.

4 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

these regularly enter the market via salvage. I wouldn’t expect anyone to be trading their GTN for the GTNxi....

I don’t agree. Just as many 750’s have been listed in the past week on BT as in the past two years. The xi sales will help depress the gtn and gns market which will also pull down the ifd market slightly. Not because they are old, slow, dirty, clunky, blurry, dangerous, or stale. The only reason is supply and demand.  Proof? I personally am not lookin to sell my 430w...but strongly considering putting up a 750 for sale depending on current market value in a month.