Tach timer

Derek

Embarrassing question....

I went looking for the tach timr gauge last week in the 201 I bought in October. Couldn't find one.

Seems like I wrongfully assumed it was a standard piece of kit. How are the engine times calculated for annual/maintenance then? Are the numbers just provided as an estimate by the pilot?

Pic attached.

Also, not sure how I overlooked this for so long... Even more embarrassing...

IMG_1833.JPG

Looks like a mid 90s M20J.... (helps to know what year)

Oportunity lost!  You could have negotiated a huge reduction in the sales cost... unknown hours on the plane... :)

The POH magically describes all of the instruments, their functions and even their locations... (have a good read of that document... it has a ton of answers to questions you haven’t thought of yet...)

Oddly enough... look on the back wall of the baggage compartment... if it looks like an odometer back there.... that’s your hour meter...

The POH will also mention what sensor starts and stops the timer... some run based on an oil pressure switch...

Somebody in engineering probably thought it best to hide that thing from everyday use...

Time = money.  That thing only burns time...
:)

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Most of them are located just to the left of the co-pilot's left knee.

You aren't expected to know everything to start.

That's where mine is. The POH refers to it as an "hour meter" which I equate to tach time. I use my watch for flight time. 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:40 PM, carusoam said:

The POH magically describes all of the instruments, their functions and even their locations... (have a good read of that document... it has a ton of answers to questions you haven’t thought of yet...)

I did go looking for this in the poh... Didn't see it... I'll have a closer look.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:40 PM, carusoam said:

Looks like a mid 90s M20J

Yep, a 1995 MSE

Thanks all. I'll check these spots next time I'm with the plane 

Expect that the 94 J and O1 have the same timer mounted on the back wall... 

Give it a gander each time you get the fuel sample cup off the back shelf...

It isn’t very convenient for record keeping...

It is great if you don’t want to be constantly reminded of impending maintenance... TBO is always getting closer...

Perfect if you intend to fly past TBO... hours on that device aren’t very meaningful when your other maintenance skills are top notch.

Best regards,

-a-

My ‘94 J has it mounted on the right side of the center console by copilot’s left knee. It’s driven by the electronic tach. Believe (but haven’t verified) it’s calibrated at 2500 rpm. Good for maintenance and I just use it for flight time. If you are trying to build time, it will underestimate flight time which is defined in FAR Part 1 from the time the airplane starts moving for the purpose of flight until it stops moving. 

Skip

On 12/31/2019 at 4:04 PM, larrynimmo said:

For flight time, you should be using the fore flight app...set it for automatic and it records from start to stop 

That's exactly what I do. Much simpler and easier then using my watch!