I took my M20F to FL220 (naturally aspirated)

FloridaMan

11 minutes ago, SantosDumont said:

Yeah I’m ready to be done with using random mechanics. Fedex is bringing my RV-14 kit tomorrow.  Then I will only have myself to blame. 

Climbed to 15k on the way home today just to try it. Climbed at 120IAS / 500fpm until about 12k, then I had to pitch up to maintain 500fpm. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7411e7229a692b100fe7869a691b34e9.jpeg

Cool!  Please send a Picture of the box.

... you should be up and flying by Saturday!

For anyone that may be interested, “zack” listed in the article is based at my airport. He recently retired from United and is a former F16 jockey. He is their sales rep on the east coast. Great guy and has built at least 3 RVs himself.

They have an RV parked here for demo rides. You should take him up on a ride if you have an interest in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marauder said:

If near Phoenix, I built and fly an RV-10 to replace my old M20E. Same wt airplane with 60 more hp, about same drag, as I often fly at 201 speeds(155-160kts) burning around 11-11.3 gph. Same approach and landing speeds. If in a hurry I can boost up to 75% at around 165-170kts, and burn 2-3 gph more. Have full Dynon Skyview system including 3 axis AP.

Be happy to show and or demonstrate it.

Kelly

For anyone that may be interested, “zack” listed in the article is based at my airport. He recently retired from United and is a former F16 jockey. He is their sales rep on the east coast. Great guy and has built at least 3 RVs himself.

They have an RV parked here for demo rides. You should take him up on a ride if you have an interest in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 1/3/2020 at 2:55 PM, SantosDumont said:

Wow.  How were you getting 500fpm up there?  Over 10k and I get like 200fpm.

That’s odd. Lightly loaded I’m typically still ~ 500fpm at 10K sometimes better save for the doggiest days of summer. I’ve always thought the biggest performance advantage of the 200hp Mooney is its climb/high altitude performance. Nothing else in its class really compares.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadrach said:

That’s odd. Lightly loaded I’m typically still ~ 500fpm at 10K sometimes better save for the doggiest days of summer. I’ve always thought the biggest performance advantage of the 200hp Mooney is its climb/high altitude performance. Nothing else in its class really compares.

I agree. I used to fly my little M20C at 12,500 or 13,500 all the time. It flew great up there and wasn't difficult to get there. That's why the second Mooney was a turbo. I like flying high.

• Like 1

What I’ve noticed with a J model and McCauley  prop is that about 12 or 13,000 feet and heavy, you have to run at 2700 RPM all the time, elsewise just  a little bit of a downdraft it slows down 20 mph and then just sits there,  just can’t accelerate. 2700 RPM Greatly helps at maintain speed

On 1/13/2020 at 10:12 PM, SantosDumont said:

Yeah I’m ready to be done with using random mechanics. Fedex is bringing my RV-14 kit tomorrow.  Then I will only have myself to blame. 

Climbed to 15k on the way home today just to try it. Climbed at 120IAS / 500fpm until about 12k, then I had to pitch up to maintain 500fpm. 

2700 RPM and Vy is 113 minus 1mph per thousand feet. 

22 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

My new ride.  Some assembly required. 

94C04716-2D33-4FBE-8FAD-3F39C7E85CA5.jpeg

You won't regret it. RV-14 is a great kit, Van's most refined. I've been advising on one for 3 yrs.  I really enjoy my RV-10, but RV-14 will out perform it on less gas.

Just remember that sticking to the plans and not modifying will get you finished a LOT quicker. Same for building at home as much as you can.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:12 PM, SantosDumont said:

That’s a quite interesting panel. I think I have seen it before. Would like more information...

Santos’ plane is an interesting survivor...

It is a modified wonder of its day...

MooneyMart was modifying planes... this one got an IO360 from Continental and the fancy digital engine instruments...

See if Santos will be by to fill in the details...

Best regards,

-a-

53 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

What is the max operating altitude?  Seems to me like my Ovation is only good to 20k legally. Highest i have ever taken it is 19k.  I was also heavy and think it was summertime.

An ovation can go as high as it wants. Its service ceiling is fl200, meaning at that altitude itll get 100ft per minute at max gross weight and that was at 280hp. Im sure at 310 hp and a lower gross you could get it to fl220 to fl230 without any major issues. Might just need time. I heard on beechtalk that a NA 260hp 182 made it to fl240. I wouldnt doubt the ovation could go higher.

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

An ovation can go as high as it wants. Its service ceiling is fl200, meaning at that altitude itll get 100ft per minute at max gross weight and that was at 280hp. Im sure at 310 hp and a lower gross you could get it to fl220 to fl230 without any major issues. Might just need time. I heard on beechtalk that a NA 260hp 182 made it to fl240. I wouldnt doubt the ovation could go higher.

Depends on how patient you are. I've had my C to 15,000, with DA = 18,800. We were very patient going up, practiced emergency descents coming down. 

I dont have the POH in front of me, but i have some type of recollection that maximum operating altitude is 20k, reagrdless of how much higher it physically can go.  Curious if the F was legally allowed?  I personally dont care, just a curiosity thing.

3 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Unless it is listed in the limitations section, you are free to take your plane as high as you like. 

If you are taking it into Class A airspace, you need to meet those requirements.

I was under the impression that the Operating Manual says service ceiling of 17,000.   But it is not near me at the moment.  Is Service Ceiling a legal thing?

If you look at the acclaim, bravo, encore, 252, and 231, they all have certified ceilings in the limitations section, those fl240 for the 231, fl250 for the acclaim and bravo, and for the encore and 252, fl280. all the naturally aspirated Mooneys don't have certified ceilings. they just have service ceilings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I was under the impression that the Operating Manual says service ceiling of 17,000.   But it is not near me at the moment.  Is Service Ceiling a legal thing?

Not unless it is in the limitations section. 

Service ceiling is a measured value just like maximum crosswind component. It is advisory only. For single engine airplanes, service ceiling is the density altitude where the climb rate is 100 ft/min.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:59 PM, carusoam said:

Santos’ plane is an interesting survivor...

It is a modified wonder of its day...

MooneyMart was modifying planes... this one got an IO360 from Continental and the fancy digital engine instruments...

See if Santos will be buy to fill in the details...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm sure it was state of the art in 1998, but for now, it's going to remain in 1998.  I priced out upgrading it with a GNX 375, but by the time I added a GPSS module, Flight Stream, dual G5s and labor I was getting up to $25k.  I figured that money would be better used putting it towards the RV.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SantosDumont said:

I'm sure it was state of the art in 1998, but for now, it's going to remain in 1998.  I priced out upgrading it with a GNX 375, but by the time I added a GPSS module, Flight Stream, dual G5s and labor I was getting up to $25k.  I figured that money would be better used putting it towards the RV.

Rv14 is faster too? Isnt it.