I took my M20F to FL220 (naturally aspirated)

FloridaMan

I didn’t level off to see where I’d cruise because I was over sitting there in the climb and it was getting kindof cool. I think I still had another 1000ft or more available to me. 

temperature on the ground was in the mid 60s and up high it was in the teens. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. 

Edited by FloridaMan
  • Like 10

14 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

I didn’t level off to see where I’d cruise because I was over sitting there in the climb and it was getting kindof cool. I think I still had another 1000ft or more available to me. 

temperature on the ground was in the mid 60s and up high it was in the teens. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. 

Wow I’m impressed/ I wouldn’t have guessed it was possible.

Well, I guess I can go to 17,500 and get the numbers for there with 978UAT. FL220 is somewhat impractical unless you’ve got some rippin tailwinds or want to put a lot of distance between you and weather below you or the ground, or if you have to go over a TFR that’s boxed in by weather, but it’s nice to know that it’s an option if you really need it. It took 20 minutes to get from 17,500 to 220, though I wasn’t as aggressive in the climb as I could’ve been. 

51 minutes ago, kortopates said:

What was the total climb time? Do you recall how many inches of MP you had at the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think around14”. I could have climbed more aggressively and I should’ve leveled off for a bit at the top. I regret not doing it now and collecting data, but it was uncomfortable. 

1B6E6E7F-AEEC-49D8-8C7A-84CBB3D78DAE.png

Edited by FloridaMan

5 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

I think around14”. I could have climbed more aggressively and I should’ve leveled off for a bit at the top. I regret not doing it now and collecting data, but it was uncomfortable. 

1B6E6E7F-AEEC-49D8-8C7A-84CBB3D78DAE.png

What was uncomfortable?  Was it the way the plane handled?

19 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Were you over FL? What area? ATC gets real quirky at the low FL's in Florida.

On an IR flight plan... as covered early... airport, point in space, returned to airport... if I have that correctly, in my fuzzy memory...

Best regards,

-a-