New pilot looking at a '75 M20F

On 1/5/2020 at 11:01 PM, Yetti said:

If you are serious about a plane spend $15.00 and get the CD from the FAA on that particular plane.

I've heard that an AP/IA can download all that data without waiting for the CD to arrive.  I'm still waiting on mine, but I am on the wrong side of the pond.

Huh, out of likes for the day I am.

Edited by tmo

3 hours ago, tmo said:

I've heard that an AP/IA can download all that data without waiting for the CD to arrive.  I'm still waiting on mine, but I am on the wrong side of the pond.

Huh, out of likes for the day I am.

Thanks - helpful. Is it usual to ask for this to be done as part of prebuy, or should I ask them to pull it before getting to that point?

24 minutes ago, PhateX1337 said:

Thanks - helpful. Is it usual to ask for this to be done as part of prebuy, or should I ask them to pull it before getting to that point?

People have different views.   The FAA CD has the ownership history and the 337s for the plane which is kind of a check and balance for what the seller is telling you.    So the seller says "No Damage History"    The CD says that the belly panels and a couple of flap hinges were replaced.

Which brings us to the AD list.   

Annual and Pre buy should have an updated AD list reviewed and performed and as the owner you are the one responsible that ADs are complied with.    My IA sent me home with homework to do the AD list for the plane.  It took me about 4 hours to complete.  At the end there were several that I needed his experience to figure out.

What's on a pre buy.  What you say is on a pre buy.   There are some good examples to say what should be on a prebuy in the downloads section of this site.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

I thought the CD was $10.....anyways, I bought the CD for my plane then realized I don't have a cd player in my laptop.  duh.

.035AMU and you are in business :) : https://www.amazon.com/Rioddas-External-Portable-Rewriter-Superdrive/dp/B07DLRG9VH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb+dvd+drive&qid=1578415742&sr=8-3 

38 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

I thought the CD was $10.....anyways, I bought the CD for my plane then realized I don't have a cd player in my laptop.  duh.

They could have probably faxed it to you, for $0.25 per page... ;)

Just have the person fax the CD over to your fax machine.         Funny story we had a 3.5 inch floppy we had to walk across the street.    One day I faxed both sides over.   Then when the asked what they were supposed to do with it.   I walked across the street.   Took some scissors cut out both sides.  Taped them together and said "there" and turned and walked away.

Edited by Yetti
  • Haha 1

well, I saw an opportunity to look smart on the internet so I jumped on it.  :lol:

Got news for you smarty pants. SDs, CDs, flash drives, USB drives and all the rest are old news. It’s now all in the cloud baby. Just not sure who’s cloud. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just now, Marauder said:

Got news for you smarty pants. SDs, CDs, flash drives, USB drives and all the rest are old news. It’s now all in the cloud baby. Just not sure who’s cloud. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I caught myself saying Jazz drive the other day.   The cloud only has a 2 nine SLA.   Are you ok with your refinery being down for day?

• Like 1

Just now, Marauder said:

Got news for you smarty pants. SDs, CDs, flash drives, USB drives and all the rest are old news. 

Yep. Can't use any of them at work, even though suppliers still provide CDs witb valuable system information on them . . . . No CS drives on our laptops, and the USB ports are all disabled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Yep. Can't use any of them at work, even though suppliers still provide CDs witb valuable system information on them . . . . No CS drives on our laptops, and the USB ports are all disabled. 

Your employer(s) is sure paranoid. I would be tempted to get some computer genius to help me un-disable one of them or something, just to know that I could foil their system.

Your employer(s) is sure paranoid. I would be tempted to get some computer genius to help me un-disable one of them or something, just to know that I could foil their system.

It’s the norm for many industries not to allow any kind of plug in memory devices. We can use them but they need to have the corporate encryption loaded on them. Other companies, like the bank my wife works for won’t allow them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

You'd lose your job at my company if you tried that stunt.  They are pretty serious about security (DOD contracts)

Edited by MikeOH

5 hours ago, Hank said:

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

It’s the norm for many industries not to allow any kind of plug in memory devices. We can use them but they need to have the corporate encryption loaded on them. Other companies, like the bank my wife works for won’t allow them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We had someone plug a phone in to a usb port to charge it. The phone had a virus on it that didn't affect the phone but when it was plugged in it got into the network. Took down almost all the computers at one of the dealerships and the store was out of business for a little over a full day. The price of the After that event we now have software/hardware that disables the usb ports on almost all the computers at the dealerships, as well as more control over what sites can be browsed and the anti-virus system on each machine. Only a few of us still have full access to everything on our machines.

• Like 1

I've been making my living in the field of cyber security for the last 25 years or so. But I've thrown in the towel so to speak. Industrial systems can be air gapped to provide a certain level of security. But consumers are stuck with the Internet we have. So I've given up on trying to secure data and moved to the issue of data privacy. No one in the general public even believes that their data can be secured or protected. So the new approach is to ask why a company has our data to start with and what exactly does it have. California CPA is just the beginning of a wave of data privacy legislation that will return control of personal data back to the consumer. Because whatever data a company holds, it's sure to lose.

20 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've been making my living in the field of cyber security for the last 25 years or so. But I've thrown in the towel so to speak. Industrial systems can be air gapped to provide a certain level of security. But consumers are stuck with the Internet we have. So I've given up on trying to secure data and moved to the issue of data privacy. No one in the general public even believes that their data can be secured or protected. So the new approach is to ask why a company has our data to start with and what exactly does it have. California CPA is just the beginning of a wave of data privacy legislation that will return control of personal data back to the consumer. Because whatever data a company holds, it's sure to lose.

Complete thread hijack...

Ah, the CCPA. I have a 190 page compliance manual that is just the tip of the iceberg to try and begin to be compliant. Even the lawyers don't quite know everything that needs to be done and the implications of it. 

• Like 1