1961 Mooney M20B -- Mods Begin!

hammdo

Well this saga is coming to an end. She is officially totaled. I was able to get most of the avionics covered so that hurts a bit less. The lien holders we so kind as they worked with me to get a lien release. They reduced the lien low enough so that was especially nice.

Now I’m just waiting on the claims adjuster to finish up and do the settlement.

I’ll be Saving up for my next Mooney. Got news from the FAA on my medical and the board meets end of June. The gentleman from the FAA medical branch said it was a great sign so fingers crossed. Now to do some flying just for fun with my CFI in the F for a bit while the wheels turn...

-Don

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hammdo,

Glad to hear things are going the right direction. I’ll have a pretty solid C model coming up for sale in a couple of months after I finish installing the new cowling and induction system, just in case a C is still on your list.

David

Yeah, there moving along finally. I’m looking at B-Fs. Just seeing what is out there. Once the settlement is done, I’ll see what I have saved and what I can ‘spend’ per the ‘boss’ ;o)

-Don

• Like 2

Finding the a&p that will let me do the work in Caddo Mills is the main problem — that and I run my own business so taking the time is the other. Since I’d rather fly than rebuild ‘another’ plane again (been there done that), I’m going to accept this outcome. Maybe 10 years ago I would for sure but, after all the things I’ve had to deal with recently, I’d rather fly.

Appreciate the input!

-Don

• Like 4

Well, spoke with my aviation lawyer this morning. Was really an eye opener.

If you don’t do a title search and, there is a lien, and you pay cash for a plane, YOU now own that lien in the eyes of the FAA and law. Just an FYI for those out there looking at planes and not financing.

I have an insurance question to resolve with the lawyer (who just happens to be one of my past CFIIs !) but, looks like the settlement will be  what it is.

On the UP SIDE, a very exciting development happened over the weekend on a future Mooney - gonna keep quiet as to not jinx it ;o)

-Don

• Like 3

The hard part is keeping quiet while other people guess about what you are doing...

I have seen a nice M20E for sale... that one?  :)

Just guessing in a really positive way...

Best regards and good luck with the next steps...

-a-

Lol, gotta have some fun ;o)

it will be a couple of months before both of us are ready. That gives me time to get the settlement done and hopefully my medical is issued. Going flying in the F this week and get my ifr training started. It’s been a long month...

-Don

• Like 2

Ok, so the bill of sale for my B is in the works and the settlement should be done this month. Once that is done, N74562 will be parts unless/until someone salvages it.

So, the good news...

I have been having a discussion with David (Sabremech) and the plans are for me to buy his plane (N2652W) and give it a new home! We’re working out the timing and the details but, knowing how David is, she’ll be in great flying shape.

Yes it WILL have the new Sabremech cowling (drool ;o)

I’ll be patiently waiting for David to get his FAA STC paperwork done for his new cowling. Once the stars align, we’ll get the deal done. David and I spent about an hour on the phone tonight going over the details and, needless to say, I’m excited. With all the speed mods, new interior, and all the great work David is doing to her to get it ready for me, I’m expecting an exciting flight back to Texas when the time comes. David and I spoke about him doing the annuals for the next couple of years with me doing an owner assisted so I can get to know the plane.

I’ve always believed things happened for a reason and maybe this was the ‘plan’ all along. It’s going to be fun and I can’t wait to fly her...

-Don

• Like 9

Be assured things do happen for a reason... what that reason is, often is hard to tell... :)

Working on the IR is a blast...  You never work so hard, and run out of brain power at the same time, in an ordinary day...

An ordinary day of IR training... you work hard until you run out of brain power... and practice with the limitations... this is an ordinary day...

It is really cool when you are buying a plane from somebody you already know...

I bought two planes... the owners were gone... nobody to ask... hey what does this button do?

Good luck with then next steps...

Best regards,

-a-

N74562 is no longer ours. Signed it over to the insurance company today. Checks ‘in the mail’ so to speak ;o) Now, for N2652W!

Did restart my IFR training yesterday - 3 hours of flying and wow, that was a workout! Been 22 years since my last IFR flight training but I was surprised how much came back. Still well behind the plane but, had fun. Heat got to me (98° and humid), did take a break but I was pretty gassed by the end. Mental work is something!

May have to do shorter sessions during the summer heat here in Texas...

-Don

• Like 4

It was pretty good yesterday with the thermals, heat and humidity. Did 3 approaches, procedure turn in a holding pattern to lose altitude, parallel entry, it was a workout. Total of 5 hours out including pre-flight planning. IPad use was limited except to brief the approach plates. Used the 430W. VOR tracking I did pretty good on. Lots to go though. Flight Sim work will be part of the training, just to get used to gauges — however, it’s nowhere near like flying in ‘turbulent’, hot, humid, afternoon Texas heat :o)

I was pretty wiped after 5 hours...

While I would rather not have lost the ‘B’ Mooney, I will be back in another Mooney (C) and in reality, looks like a very nice, more useful load one...

-Don

• Like 2

The C is nice for all the small things they learned about on the B...

If you can... get a copy of CloudAhoy for your iPad and record your flights...

You will remember more detail about the five hours after you review the flight...

There was a free pandemic upgrade that went with that too...

Best regards,

-a-

Well the FAA sent me a letter on my Third class medical — one last note from my EP (Electro-Physiologist). I hope that will be all they need. The good news is they were actually reviewing my case so quickly! Keeping my finger’s crossed...

-Don

• Like 4

Spoke with my AME today, he said the letter is great news! I’ve already gave the request to my EP (Electro-Physiologist) and now it’s just hopefully the last step to my medical. Plan on seeing N2652W here soon and once that is done, this thread will be too — as I’ll be starting a new one!

-Don

• Like 1

Folks wanted to give you a heads up. The FAA investigator reviewing the off airport landing (plane of course is now gone to the salvage yard) stated I didn’t make a ‘complete entry’ in the maintenance log. I nicely explained him I complied with the 43.9 reg. He disagreed. He said I must state the certificate type on my maintenance log. Rather than argue I said that I’d look it up. Here it is right off the FAA site in a flyer that I had. I did send this to him so he knows that for the maintenance entry, I only needed my cert # (which I had in the log). For an inspection, a cert ‘type’ is required...

5C5BA3AA-6BB9-4E68-AFAA-5519DDCE13BC.png

note the 4 items it lists on the bottom right...

-Don

• Like 1

Yeah, now the section in the regs are really vague about if a cert type is needed by a private pilot but this flyer released by the committee looks to clarify that.

its the government. I find it really interesting they nit picked the log entry when their own site seems to contradict what’s being said to me...

I did send the inspector the flyer so he knows why...

As I told him, the entry and maintenance items did not cause the plane to stop (battery and attitude indicator) - which he agreed. 

-Don

On 6/10/2020 at 6:24 PM, hammdo said:

Link to the pdf:

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/2019/media/SE_Topic_19-05.pdf

and other fact sheets:

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/fact_sheets/

There are clarifications of the regs so, very useful!

-Don

Unfortunately, what the reg actually says will supercede any AC or informative document.   The reg does require that the kind of certificate be indicated in the log entry:

FAR 43.9(a)4:

(4) If the work performed on the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part has been performed satisfactorily, the signature, certificate number, and kind of certificate held by the person approving the work. The signature constitutes the approval for return to service only for the work performed.

Citation courtesy of Cornell's online law library. 

Most A&Ps do this wrong and put "A&P" followed by their certificate number, but those are ratings, not a kind of certificate.   A&P certificates are "Mechanic" certificates, so, by the reg, A&Ps should sign log entries "Mechanic #.....".

But nobody does that, so that's probably a point in your favor.   If an owner/pilot/operator makes a log entry, then the kind of certificate held is private pilot or commercial pilot, or maybe just "pilot", rather than "mechanic".   My understanding has always been that this is meant to easily distinguish mechanic entries from owner/operator/pilot entries.   That's probably why just putting "A&P" rather than "Mechanic" is widely accepted, since it still distinguishes that a mechanic made the entry.

Regardless, FAR 43.9 does require that the entry include the "kind of certificate held".   Note that the example you cite does have "A&P" in front of the certificate number.

• Like 1