1961 Mooney M20B -- Mods Begin!

hammdo

Don,

Did you consider the Cies digital fuel level gauge to go with that?

They add some additional precision and repeatability... both resistor type, and frequency.... the frequency version has even higher precision...

Best regards,

-a-

I did but for my mission right now, this is what I wanted to stay with.  Only so much funds right now and this will be better than a single gauge.  I gave it a lot of though and decided to just get this and go from there...

-Don

• Like 1

Possible future update....

Leave something for a different day...

:)

I like the number read out on that instrument... even if it is five gallons off, it is better than my analog needle and line technology...

My best precision for fuel amount, comes from the FF instrument...(totalizer for fuel used)

Best regards,

-a-

Yep but, that will probably be an engine analyzer for me with that option installed. Its on a 'future' path for me ;o)  Insight G3 or G4, or EDM 900 -- time will tell...

-Don

Current updates are done! Gonna pick her up Monday. When fuel gauge gets in, I’ll have the AP do that. Can’t wait to fly her!

i have the rudder bell horn so I can do the update to what the C models can do. If anyone knows who to contact about what it takes (paperwork would be awesome), I’d like to show my AP that so we know what to do...

Fun times ahead!

-Don

Going from M20B rudder throw... to M20C rudder throw... (great idea)

Would take proper documentation for the change...

That proper documentation comes in the form of parts manuals and service manuals... they have the tech drawings... and procedures...

Why this is OK...   

I have forgotten...  :)

Stand by for somebody more mechanically inclined than me...

Be on the look out for the extended rudder/tail cone too... more rudder is good for stronger X-winds....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm good, so is my instructor.. Hard to believe but, once it would not restart, we both did our part. He flew, I did the Johnson bar... Landing was great until the little birm. Nose gear went... Engine was out.. 

-Don 

• Like 2

Insurance will let me know... They may but I'm not sure. Right now, just waiting for the FAA folks to get here...

Engine just quit.. Attempted restart.. Picked a field.. Thank God for Texas and all the open fields.. 

Plane is south of here... 

33.138096,-96.201238

-Don 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hammdo said:

I'm good, so is my instructor.. Hard to believe but, once it would not restart, we both did our part. He flew, I did the Johnson bar... Landing was great until the little birm. Nose gear went... Engine was out.. 

-Don 

Sorry to see.   Is there any visible damage to the propeller?   Bends, gouges, etc...?    If you are lucky this may not be too bad.

7 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Sorry to see.   Is there any visible damage to the propeller?   Bends, gouges, etc...?    If you are lucky this may not be too bad.

20200504_152105.jpg

• Sad 3

Such a terrible thing but you and your CFI worked as a good team controlled the outcome and walked away safe. As bad as you must feel right now I agree with the others that looks very fixable.  Good luck to you

Man that sucks.  I just spoke with an A&P that came to look at my Cherokee with a client a week ago and she lost her plane today in a tornado.  Sad day.

On a brighter note, that sir, is what we call a good landing.  It doesn't look too terrible.  Be glad y'all didn't cartwheel or endo

• Like 1

Fweeew....

Don,

I am so Glad you handled it so well...

Super glad you are writing the pirep....

There are a few people around here that are familiar with the recovery process...

• Stiffening the legs.
  • Determine what stopped running.
  • Dialing the flange.
  • Prop swap.

And the insurance process...

All Things to figure out after a good dinner, a nice rest, and a beverage for...

Congratulations... I think you have just reached the level of Established Aviation Gentleman! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Lol.. Yep, never had a doubt we'd land and be ok - was concerned about the ruts in the empty corn field. Those were crazy. The one that collapsed the nose gear was deep. If that was not there...

Hine-sight is 20/20...

-Don 

• Like 1