1961 Mooney M20B -- Mods Begin!

hammdo

Went out to the plane today to get a start on the breakers -- found out they were not the right ones so, added the No Step decals and AV Gas 100LL stickers, swept it out, added toggle switch covers, then took better pics of the panel:

20200328_121608.jpg

20200328_121716.jpg

20200328_121641.jpg

Toggle Switch Covers on the left side:

20200328_121649.jpg

The toggle switch covers are to help me locate the correct switch so I don't switch the fuel gauges vs boost pump -- not a fan of the single gauge so when I update to a monitor system, that will be gone but for now, this will give me what I need.  The 2 that are in the middle are for strobes (which I don't have now) and the pitot heat -- which I do have -- go figure ;o)

Johnson bar was a bit funky as it would kinda catch in the hook. I'm having the AP look @ that -- worked great on the ground.  Also, found a knuckle buster on the after maintenance fight -- really took some skin -- bleed all over my hand -- was fun to fly with my hand like that for 30 minutes.  Found the offender -- bolt on the passenger's seat. Seems if the co-pilot pulls the seat up close, the bolt is right there.  I'll make sure that is covered -- you can bet on that.  Outside of the down lock block (which will get replaced as soon as the group buy get's done), she flew great.  Flys very different than the F -- that is for sure!

Can't wait to put more time on her -- really sucks waiting for the medical ;o(

-Don

great update -Don...

If you have accidentally unlatched the SIC’s seat belt in the traffic pattern...

You have reached another level!

There are seatbelts with a more normal click, and push button release... To help with that.

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks, actually it’s a bolt on the seat - left above the up lock block:

20191227_133615.jpg

that sucker is sharp. The ‘B’ seems to have the recline latch wider there and when they move the seat close, it’s right in the path. 

Ouch...

-Don

• Like 1

Just find a short piece of rubber tube that is a good friction fit over that bolt head.  Trim to fit.  You might still hit your knuckles, but at least it won't draw blood.

Longer term solution is to shorten the bushing that the arm fits on, so the bolt head is as close as possible to the seat back arm.

While I'm waiting for my 1.5" pedal extensions (ordered from Germany on ebay -- factory originals too!) and my down/up lock blocks, decided to do a run-up on the plane and tests out the radios.  While I was at it, I decided I didn't want any more knuckle busters.

Here they are before:

20200404_102325.jpg

Now with trimmed vacuum caps:

20200405_104003.jpg

Can't pull them off so they'll stay there!

Also during run-up -- the AI was humming and tumbling a bit -- only when cold so its probably the bearings -- will need a repair for sure.  I'll pull it out next week and send it out for repair locally while I'm waiting for the down/up blocks to come in:

Also, while testing out things, my cushions are a bit 'soft' for a heavy guy so added these:

20200405_105556.jpg

Picked these up from Amazon and they did the trick!  I'm now up a bit higher and able to gain some elbow room!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PXFP7FZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title

Many colors to choose from. These did the trick for me. Once I get the pedal extensions, AI fixed, down/up blocks done, she'll be in great shape to fly!  I'll be cleaning the seats and carpets next but after the blocks and AI are fixed. I purchased circuit breakers to replace what I have -- will have the avionics shop do that when I get an AV-30-c and AV-20-s (to replace the clock) - no big rush for those.

-Don

• Like 5

So today, I pulled out the attitude indicator to look into having it repaired.  So a funny thing happened on the way to the...

;o)

Turns out this AI is an IFR-85 (Instrument & Flights Research inc.) model -- yep they only build these for 3 years 1968-1971.  This was probably installed when the did some of the early IFR work in 1968.  Well I 'might' have been able to get it repaired but the facility I contacted AQI (Aircraft Quality Instruments http://www.flyaqi.com/) noted and knew about these but said it would take 2 weeks or more.  They would not take it on exchange since it is an 'odd ball' and if it was not repairable, I'd still have to get a replacement.  They set me up with a RC Allen that will be a drop in replacement.  I gave them aircraft model and described my panel to them so they knew how to setup the AI.  Very knowledgeable folks.

And yes it has a screw loose - I could hear it when I removed it.

Here are some pics of the steps -- very easy to get out with these access panels:

20200410_092053.jpg

20200410_092057.jpg

20200410_093633.jpg

20200410_094002.jpg

20200410_125448.jpg

20200410_125523.jpg

She's bare but, I should have this on 4-11 -- great service from AQI!

20200410_094146.jpg

-Don

New attitude indicator is now installed!

Received the new unit from Aircraft Quality Instruments:

20200415_113923.jpg

Installing OH AI:

20200416_142240.jpg

20200416_144842.jpg

How I setup and leveled the AI based on install docs -- using the level on the 'lower ledge' of the AI (example). This is done with the screws snug enough to allow you to rotate the AI as need to center the bubble (make sure to remove the adjustment knob in order to have an accurate level setup):

20200416_172552.jpg

Ledge used to setup the level point:

20200416_172601.jpg

Installed and ready to test!

20200416_144912.jpg

Test run tomorrow!

-Don

My 'attitude' is now adjusted and working!

20200417_135136.jpg

Did an hour long test and validated it was operating properly -- no noises as today was around 50° (was noisy on a 48° day).

Here it is in action:

She goes in next Friday for the new down/up lock blocks!

Waiting on the windshields to come in -- that will be next.  Still waiting on the pedal extensions (probably delayed due to the Wuhan virus).

-Don

• Like 1

My Blackstone report is in -- about what I expected for a plane that did not fly much in the last 26 years:

74562-3-27-2020-380-TT.jpg

Here is the pdf from Blackstone that tells you what it all means...

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Understanding-Aircraft-combined.pdf

What this needs is to change the oil more often if it sits as well as to run the engine more.  I've also added CamGuard and based on this report, will be changing the oil in 6 months or 15 hrs. When I'm not flying, I go out and run the engine for about 45 minutes until the oil gets hot.  I do the runup in the runup area and get her up to 1700 rpm and do the usual 'run up checks'.  Going to watch the trends for sure -- she's running great though so time to make her happy and run her more often.  The next report will be a bit more interesting since I hope to have more hrs on her.

-Don

On 3/29/2020 at 2:05 AM, hammdo said:

Thanks, actually it’s a bolt on the seat - left above the up lock block:

20191227_133615.jpg

that sucker is sharp. The ‘B’ seems to have the recline latch wider there and when they move the seat close, it’s right in the path. 

Ouch...

-Don

Maybe different because I have a different model, but mine the nut is on the inside of the seat (under cushion) and the outer portion of the seat where your hand passes is a round slot head.  Perhaps yours are turned around, or someone switched your seats at annual?  I know this because the AP/IA had me pull those today so he could inspect as part of the annual.

• Like 1

Just now, hammdo said:

I’m going to pull the seats after I get the blocks installed so I’ll check then — thanks for the tip!

-Don

Usually it's safety wire that causes us to "give blood" to our airplanes.  Regardless of why, it is never fun to do so.  I hope it's a simple and easy fix for you.  Good luck

Took the plane up to Edge Aviation today with my CFI -- fun to fly!

Getting the down/up lock blocks done and while I'm at it, the Windshield:

20200424_124319.jpg

Solar Gray with the UV protection!  Should help a ton!

Since the hole is not in the windshield, I'm going with a Carb/OAT gauge (clock doesn't work and its not 'required' equipment for VFR) so its going there.  Here is the unit:

EI-CA-1.jpg

Comes with everything!

Should really help now on the carb icing side of things...

-Don

• Like 1

Well, they finally got the blocks on and boy they work great!  I have some pics of the old blocks and the Gear Down Block was worn:

20200424_145738.jpg

20200424_145742.jpg

The ridge was preventing the Johnson bar from locking in place properly -- once landed it was fully in -- did not like how it acted for sure.

Up lock was just ovaled:

20200424_145747.jpg

20200424_145754.jpg

One thing we did notice is my B's blocks were about 1/8" wider than the machined blocks -- probably and early design. They had to 'tweak' the spring so it set in all the way.  The pin would normally rest right next to the block when fully engaged however, its just a 'bit' off.  Still works perfectly.  Also the bolts called out for in the manual we're too long for my B -- Edge had the right lengths in stock.

Windshield is moving along already!  

Gonna be a dependable plane...

-Don

• Like 1

Those are great pics, Don...

That edge worn in the hole is a sign of the wear...

Hard to believe the hole gets so worn while the J-bar isn’t moving very much.  An affect of Dissimilar metals rubbing together... the softer one wears rapidly compared to the chromed handle....

I found out about the wear in my 65C by reaching up inside chasing a sensor challenge... and found that same unexpected edge... sense my eyes open wide...  :wacko:

Best regards,

-a-

That ridge made me nervous. I had a heck of a time getting the safety lock set - Only fully set on landing. If you pull the Johnson bar really hard, you could get it to pop out. Basically I grounded the plane until I could get these installed - man the new blocks worked much better,...

Slowly but surely things are getting done - monitor and shoulder belts on the list...

-Don

Well after a month, the pedal kit FINALLY came in from Germany!

New old stock and in excellent shape:

20200425_111016.jpg

Once I get the plane back, this is the next to get installed.  Then a good interior cleanup/shampoo and possibly, new carpet if this one doesn't clean up good,  since this one is showing its age...

I'll be looking into doing the seat belts in the next month or so.  

-Don

Went to Edge today to check on progress— new windshield is fantastic! The icom radio had a setting that needed to be set and its working well. New carb/oat instrument is in their hands and is going in. Should have it all ready by early next week. Pics to follow when everything is done. Having the carb ice detection and new blocks are important for sure. 

Cant wait...

Pedal extensions are next when I get her back...

-Don

• Like 2

Keeping with the theme of safety items, I ordered the Aerospace Fuel Gauge 202 (resistor) version:

202-r.jpg

The 'B' has a single tank gauge with a 'switch' to change from Left to Right tank -- not a fan of that.  This will give me a better idea of fuel and, has pages to let me know fuel flow.

In the next month, seat belts -- talked to my A&P/IA -- suggested I look @ Hookers -- they've installed them and like how they work.

Little by little, getting there...

-Don