1961 Mooney M20B -- Mods Begin!

hammdo

So, picked up the plane on 12/26:

Me-With-Mooney.jpg

Very happy to have her!  She'll be hangered @ Caddo Mills for a few months.  There were a few items that I need to get upgraded.  The first is the panel.

Here is the panel as its sits today:

current-panel.jpg

Not a lot of room for 'gadgets' but overall, the panel is in very good shape:

full-panel.jpg

So, what am I doing first?  These:

PAR200B (Combo Audio Panel, Com, with Bluetooth):

https://www.ps-engineering.com/PAR200B.shtml

par200b_intelliaudio.jpg

This will replace the Bendix/King KA 134 TSO panel (Top).

Next, I have a TSO'd iCom A220 to replace the iCom A200 (non TSO):

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/avionics/panelmount/a220tso/default.aspx

IC-A220-1.jpg

Finally for ADS-B In/out WASS/Transponder, I'm going with the Appareo Stratus ESGi.  This will have both the certified WASS GPS and the Stratus 3i for the ADS-B in:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/appareostratus11-14859.php

stratus-esgi.jpg

This will replace the Bendix/King KT 76C.

Will make a nice start.  Once the avionics market 'settles', Dynon certified may be an option:

https://www.dynoncertified.com/

I have the Knot2U passenger door seal to install,  the LASAR jackpoints/tie down, and the 'minor kit' for the shoulder seat belts so that will come next.  

Should make for a nice start without 'killing' me on the value of the plane.  I got her at a great price so this won't 'price' me out of its value.

The avionics will happen in Feb 2020 -- I am outside of DFW Class B so the 'mandate' won't be affecting me.  Since I want to hanger in Denton, the avionics will have to be done first.

Also, to make it easier for tracking my planes logs etc, I created a website with everything about the M20B I have -- including all logs (Aircraft, Engine, Prop), ADs, POH, Flight Supplement, Maintenance Manual, Avionics Manuals, and 337s:

http://www.accelerationtech.com/photos/mooney/Mooney-Logs.html

Mostly mobile friendly -- menu's are a pain to disappear on iPad/iPhone/Samsung being 'touch' responsive.

Maybe some of the documentation will help someone who has the M20B model.

-Don

Edited by hammdo
  • Like 7

So, picked up the plane on 12/26:
[Me-With-Mooney.jpg
Very happy to have her!  She'll be hangered @ Caddo Mills for a few months.  There were a few items that I need to get upgraded.  The first is the panel.
Here is the panel as its sits today:
current-panel.jpg

Not a lot of room for 'gadgets' but overall, the panel is in very good shape:
full-panel.jpg

So, what am I doing first?  These:
PAR200B (Combo Audio Panel, Com, with Bluetooth):
https://www.ps-engineering.com/PAR200B.shtml
par200b_intelliaudio.jpg
This will replace the Bendix/King KA 134 TSO panel (Top).
Next, I have a TSO'd iCom A220 to replace the iCom A200 (non TSO):
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/avionics/panelmount/a220tso/default.aspx
IC-A220-1.jpg

Finally for ADS-B In/out WASS/Transponder, I'm going with the Appaero Stratus ESGi.  This will have both the certified WASS GPS and the Stratus 3i for the ADS-B in:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/appareostratus11-14859.php
stratus-esgi.jpg
This will replace the Bendix/King KT 76C.
Will make a nice start.  Once the avionics market 'settles', Dynon certified may be an option:
https://www.dynoncertified.com/

I have the Knot2U passenger door seal to install,  the LASAR jackpoints/tie down, and the 'minor kit' for the shoulder seat belts so that will come next.  
Should make for a nice start without 'killing' me on the value of the plane.  I got her at a great price so this won't 'price' me out of its value.
The avionics will happen in Feb 2020 -- I am outside of DFW Class B so the 'mandate' won't be affecting me.  Since I want to hanger in Denton, the avionics will have to be done first.
Also, to make it easier for tracking my planes logs etc, I created a website with everything about the M20B I have -- including all logs (Aircraft, Engine, Prop), ADs, POH, Flight Supplement, Maintenance Manual, Avionics Manuals, and 337s:
http://www.accelerationtech.com/photos/mooney/Mooney-Logs.html
Mostly mobile friendly -- menu's are a pain to disappear on iPad/iPhone/Samsung being 'touch' responsive.
Maybe some of the documentation will help someone who has the M20B model.
-Don

Very nice aircraft! Mooney are a lot of fun.. Don’t know if you are interested on a nav unit as well, but those are very nice units https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/valINS429.php Nav indicator all in one and if down the road you decide to get an GPS for example the Garmin GNC355 you can interface the GPS with indicator and have an IFR Capable panel without having to get another CDI for the GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, pmccand said:

I have a B model, so let me make a suggestion that may be useful. Get yourself a JPI EDM900 and get rid of ALL of those gauges on the right side and free up some room.  AFTER you do that, you can make much better decisions planning for those fancy electronic gizmos such as radios and the like.  I did it the hard way and got the JPI late in the game and now I have to re shuffle all my toys.

On the list as I've reviewed all of Mike Busch's books. I paid for the plane and avionics upgrades so, need to work more jobs before I do the analyzers ;o) 

If you're curious -- I road raced a supercharged 2011 Camaro that I built and then did lots of upgrades -- did the tuning myself lately with HP Tuners...

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385577

-Don 

Edited by hammdo
  • Like 1

Wow!  An F body guy! Is it still called an Fbody after 2008?

I recognize the fuel cap on the Camaro’s water/alcohol injection tank... a Very Mooney part!

Congrats on your M20B... it looks like somebody really liked it before you got it...

+1 on engine instrument upgrades when able...

Things that M20Bs didn’t get from the factory...

• a full set of EGTs and CHTs
  • carb temp
  • Fuel flow/totalizer

We have a few car guys hanging around MS...  there is a thread that covers pics of planes and cars around here somewhere...

Best regards,

-a-

No, it’s a zeta platform (like the Caddy CTSV). She’s 800+ RWHP/RWTQ. Runs E85 and meth. Tons of fun on a road course...

The bird has 4 prob EGT - rotate knob for each cylinder. She has some damage history but, was properly done and, was verified by Mooney after the repairs (‘94 timeframe). Has the Brittain PC wing leveler also — need to try that out — didn’t test it when I flew it.

totally agree on monitors — just have to plan it.

-Don

Edited by hammdo
  • Like 1

Thanks! The interior is very nice — just needs some cleaning. Once transition training is done, I’ll get the avionics upgraded and then will be ADS-B compliant to fly in DFW airspace... closer to home ;o)

-Don

Edited by hammdo

Does any M20b owners have a pic of their fuel selector with the tank decals?

i did a run up today and found what was set as right actually was off (or not far enough right) - engine stopped and I could watch the fuel pressure drop off) verified with the fuel pressure gauge

here is mine:

20191212_101420.jpg

Looking at the parts book, what I see in the pic should be 90°for both...

Thanks!

-Don

Edited by hammdo

It is quite possible...

To find the markings in a more recent POH...

Find the most recent POH for an M20C in the downloads section...

One challenge, The B model has a glass fuel separator, that the C didn’t keep...

So the B may be unique, not ever getting a decent POH, for all the details it deserves...

From memory...  All the way left, click detent, Left tank.  All the way right, click detent, right tank...

Anywhere in between those end points is off...

My C’s detents were worn off... I didn’t know there were supposed to be any....

Probably time for an OH of that important piece of equipment...

See Lasar for OH details...

Stand by for more details from an M20B owner...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... 

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the response!

I do have detents still - very solid clicks. I hit those and had to go farther right until I saw the fuel pressure rise. If I stopped at the detent, I could watch the fuel pressure slowly drop until the engine stalled. After switching to the left tank, boost pump, primed, and re-started, I tried the right tank and kept moving past the detent until pressure was middle in the green. I’ll try the left tomorrow in the same manner to see if I need to go farther left — even though the fuel pressure was in the green.

I do a ground check on any new plane I’m in so I can confirm the checklist and ground ops. Glad I did this one too...

I’ll check with Lasar on the rebuild... thanks for the tip...

-Don

Edited by hammdo

Interesting... the detents should be at the end of the travel...   

If your getting detents before the end... something has changed...

Sounds like you get fuel flow when the valve handle is moved to the end... (where it should be). And the detents are giving a false indication of where things are supposed to be...

The Challenge you have... if the valve isn’t working correctly, it now has an unknown... unknowns on this, lead to fuel not being delivered...

So... this becomes a high priority to figure out what has changed... why the detents are where they are, why fuel flows at the extremes of the travel...

hopefully it is something simple and not expensive... Have you taken the belly panels off yet? Access to the valve is from the other side of the floor boards...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic..

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Here is why I have the question:

20200102_215810.jpg

These are the new decals from Knots2U for a Mooney M20B.  If I go past the dents to the right (basically 90°) on the right side -- I get full fuel pressure.  What's odd is the previous owner and I flew the plane on the right tank. I was doing tank switching to get a feel for switching tanks.  She has a new pump and hoses from Don Maxwell so, based on that, I would say those are in good shape.  No mention of a fuel selector issue from him.

The M20B is a whole other animal that the C ;o)

I do have all the original manuals (parts, maint, poh), as well as PDF copies.  I'll take a gander at those and see if anything shows up...

-Don

Edited by hammdo

There is also a plastic decoration ring that goes around the valve area.... might find that at PlanePlastics...

There were significant changes to the fuel valve system up to the 65C...

Plenty of changes from the B to the C, then more over the years...

The B was a giant leap from the A, all aluminum... the rest is just tiny bits and pieces here and there...

One improvement B owners consider... is the rudder travel. The C got more... the travel increase is available to the B model... probably some parts, and your mechanic...

Don,

I sat down and got ready to read through your owners manual... I finished it before I hit the chair!  

Thanks for collecting the documents in a place we can find and share...  We also have a download area on MS if you want to up load them there...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Docs are VERY weak ;o)

I built the site so as I find things about the ‘B’ (not transformers ;o), I’d keep it handy. I have all the docs for the Brittain B2C PC wing-leveler too (install guide as well as ops and maintenance).

As these get older and those in the know move on, I want to document everything I find...

I saw that update for rudder travel — need to find that too!

Download area is a great idea too...

-Don

Edited by hammdo

Well, got a pic from the the previous seller and it seems for the right tank, it does need to be @ 90°:

Fuel-Selector-Actual.jpg

So, I still think I'll do IRAN on this and send it out to Don Maxwell or Lasar @ my next annual due in here in a couple of months.  Better safe than sorry but, it does appear that even after Don Maxwell did the annual in 2017, it was this way at that time.  The pic above was from 2016 -- the year the plane was sold to the last owner.  Don W did the annual in 2017.  

-Don

On 12/30/2019 at 7:25 PM, pmccand said:

I have a B model, so let me make a suggestion that may be useful. Get yourself a JPI EDM900 and get rid of ALL of those gauges on the right side and free up some room.  AFTER you do that, you can make much better decisions planning for those fancy electronic gizmos such as radios and the like.  I did it the hard way and got the JPI late in the game and now I have to re shuffle all my toys.

I agree!

F85352CE-B043-4D2E-BDDD-8FEBEF813DC4.jpeg

Got the new ICom A220 installed today.  Fairly simple with the MBA-3 adapter (the Molex connectors are almost impossible to find now and, the ICom A220 tray has the new pin connector). So, simply transfer the MBA-3 to the new radio:

MBA-3.jpg

20191230_221133.jpg

Then it becomes a simple slide in direct replacement for 'like kind' radio (except this one is TSO'd):

20200107_104919.jpg

Next in a couple of weeks the new Appaero Transponder and PAR200B (with a second com radio)...

After that is the Annual (due in March -- I have the A&P check out the fuel selector).  Once those are done -- then I'll look @ the analyzer.

-Don

Edited by hammdo

Looks like the compass got an update...

Often a compass correction card can be purchased through the compass manufacturer...

Aircraft spruce might have them.  I have seen them there for the usual standard compass...

the air path version....  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php

Best regards,

-a-

Don,

My bad, I. Mixed one of MBD’s pics above... in with yours... He has a fancy vertical card type compass... similar magnetic compass, but much easier to use....

Yours is traditional airpath compass.  Getting a correction card as posted above should be easy...

If you train for flying on minimum instruments... a vertical card is a touch easier to work with... the original airpath has a tendency to turn opposite direction to standard expectations...

This would be when your DG has failed, or if it is vac powered... the vac pump broke... watch the DG and AI fail in opposite directions... on indicates a right turn, the other says left... your brain says that ain’t right... clever the failed instruments and rely on the compass for guidance...   or at least know to go with the GPS...

Sorry for the mix-up...
PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... or CFI...

Best regards,

-a-