J or K?

c131fr

Listening to your Mission, I'd go with the J.

The K is a great machine.  As is the Missile (mine), Ovation, or any of the turbo brethren.

The M20F is a great value as well for your Mission, however the J with the aerodynamic improvements and younger airframe make more sense as you have the funds for it.

I'd get the M20J, fly it for a year or two, and then before any upgrades you may choose to make, at that point decide if your mission is still the same, and then keep the airplane, make changes you want, or get something that's a fire-breather or had bigger displacement.

I owned a 1967 M20F model prior to my 1983 Mooney Missile (M20J with a bigger non-turbo engine).  I'm don't climb to O2 levels often so I went with non-turbo for simplicity, though I did consider a 252 before purchasing the Missile.  I LOVE my Missile (as many of you know).  It was an STC completed by the same people who made the Rocket - just on a J without turbo (different engine and prop, but still the same basic idea).

The J sounds like the correct airplane for your mission and they can be very smooth - dynamically prop balance the prop if it's not smooth, make sure the engine mounts aren't sagging, etc.  The upkeep is lighter on the checkbook too, and below 8,000 feet you'll be equal or better in speed vs the K.  

If after two years, you are still lusting over a fire breather, turbo normalize your airplane or at that point step up to a 252, TLS, Bravo, or Acclaim!  Or don't go turbo and step up to an Eagle, Ovation, or Missile!  Faster speeds, bigger displacement, lower altitudes without the added costs of turbo (that's what I did).  I do also have portable O2 for when I do want to go high in my Missile (17,500 is the highest so far).

It sounds like you want a turbo, and if that's what you want go for it.  However, I do suggest the J with your current description of typical flying.

Regardless, welcome to the Mooney club!!  Keep us informed on your decision.

Take care,

-Seth

• Like 1