GTN Questions

BrettKS

When flying an ILS approach, when will the Garmin auto switch from GPS CDI to the VOR/Glide? I've flown a couple approaches recently and on final found it hadn't switched so I've done it manually, but I thought it switched at some point automatically? Did I change a setting by accident?

Also, anyone have experience with Garmin GTX345 and the GTN getting an ADS-B pressure altitude fault? It occurs on the ground occasionally and always goes away after power cycling, seems to work fine and has never occurred in the air. Wonder if the encoder is going bad, but seems like it wouldn't 100% fix just with a power cycle.

11 minutes ago, BrettKS said:

When flying an ILS approach, when will the Garmin auto switch from GPS CDI to the VOR/Glide? I've flown a couple approaches recently and on final found it hadn't switched so I've done it manually, but I thought it switched at some point automatically? Did I change a setting by accident?

The auto-switch from GPS to VLOC  is a system setting Menu | System | Setup.

But... auto-switching only applies to ILS approaches. It does not do anything for VOR approaches. It doesn't even move the OR into the active box.

Also, be aware that it will not auto-switch if you are too close (within 2 NM) of the FAF.

Due to the gotchas, and because I know when I want to switch and it's not necessarily when the GTN wants to. I usually switch manually anyway. 

image.png.ccc3e949da8c8aba0a937db7a8228840.png

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BrettKS said:

Also, anyone have experience with Garmin GTX345 and the GTN getting an ADS-B pressure altitude fault? It occurs on the ground occasionally and always goes away after power cycling, seems to work fine and has never occurred in the air. Wonder if the encoder is going bad, but seems like it wouldn't 100% fix just with a power cycle.

The palt fault may be because your transponder boots up slower than your gtn.   

2 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

The palt fault may be because your transponder boots up slower than your gtn.   

Any fix for that? The transponder isn't panel mounted so I have to restart all avionics power, don't have a great way to power cycle just the transponder. But with me resetting avionics power and it working the second time, maybe it isn't the issue to begin with..?

1 hour ago, midlifeflyer said:

But... auto-switching only applies to ILS approaches. It does not do anything for VOR approaches. It doesn't even move the OR into the active box.

Also, be aware that it will not auto-switch if you are too close (within 2 NM) of the FAF.

Due to the gotchas, and because I know when I want to switch and it's not necessarily when the GTN wants to. I usually switch manually anyway. 

Makes sense, thanks. Yeah, probably a good habit just to switch it manually.

2 minutes ago, BrettKS said:

Any fix for that? The transponder isn't panel mounted so I have to restart all avionics power, don't have a great way to power cycle just the transponder. But with me resetting avionics power and it working the second time, maybe it isn't the issue to begin with..?

Try pulling your gtn breaker before turning on your avionics master and give the Gtx plenty of time to start up, then push the gtn breaker in.  See if that solves.   

3 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

To add to Mark's comment, if you are flying a VOR approach, you will get a message indicating that you need to switch to VLOC when flying a VOR approach.

• Like 1

I don’t have a GTN I have a 430. On the 430 we first have to switch the Nav frequency manually, before the auto switch to the ILS can happen. The 430 automatically puts the correct frequency in as the second Nav frequency, the pilot has to switch it to the first frequency, then the rest is automatic.  Could that be the same with the GTN’s?

13 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

I don’t have a GTN I have a 430. On the 430 we first have to switch the Nav frequency manually, before the auto switch to the ILS can happen. The 430 automatically puts the correct frequency in as the second Nav frequency, the pilot has to switch it to the first frequency, then the rest is automatic.  Could that be the same with the GTN’s?

Since you don't have a GTN, you have the opportunity to make a better choice and upgrade to an IFD. :D It's even more automated. So much so that you'll forget where to input the Nav freq. 

When you select an ILS (LOC, SDF) on the GTN, it will load the localizer frequency in the primary slot. It will stay in GPS mode until the VLOC automatic switchover (unless you have the automatic switchover feature turned off). There is an error check it will do as well.

197d3dda2dd779cca7e01c67d0c3ff60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro