Living dangerously... Nighttime T&G's

gsxrpilot

8 hours ago, MikeOH said:

My record is SIX at SBD (10,000 feet and before they had a tower).  In a C-172, though. NOT a Mooney:D

I watched a Cirrus do about 6 T&G's on a 3500' runway.  I thought for sure that stupid looking nose wheel was going to snap off, but it held and they didn't hit the prop.  Oh, maybe those are called B&G's!

5 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I actually know a guy whose commercial checkride was discontinued because he couldn't point to his required solo events with "solo" indicated in some way in the logbook entries.

Note to self, go back through logs and add the word "solo" to the comments section of applicable flights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

General rule when dealing with any agency of the Federal government:  if it isn't written down contemporaneously with the event, signed and dated, it didn't happen. I deal with this every day at work, with the requirements of a different 3-letter agency. Even if the results are clearly visible as having been done, if it ain't recorded and signed then it wasn't done.

That's true in many industries, too, where traceability is important.   

Final pre-boot camp requirement done. My brother and I took off before 5am for a night flight to Salina, KS to satisfy the 2 hour/100 nm Night cross country. After a hearty breakfast at the local diner, we flew back to Denver to accomplish the corresponding Day cross country.

It was a very dark night over eastern Colorado and western Kansas. But I'm pretty sure if I had to, I'd just set the trim for 80 knots and glide all the way to the ground. You could even do it with your eyes closed. As long as you didn't hit the center post of one of those watering wheels, you probably wouldn't even damage the plane. Absolutely flat as a pool table in all directions.

Fueling up the night before. Very cold in Denver.

IMG_3933.thumb.jpeg.6d86a93e763fec3445a8c5ebf4d2bfef.jpeg

After breakfast in Salina.

IMG_3938.thumb.jpeg.7dfd695e1a44c917feff18c1f6eef0a4.jpeg

Going right over the top of KDEN. The Bravo extends to 12,000, when denied Bravo service, 12,500 it is.

IMG_3939.thumb.jpeg.4da81fe6395549a1b30e6acd52dc9177.jpeg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Going right over the top of KDEN. The Bravo extends to 12,000, when denied Bravo service, 12,500 it is.

I'm usee to that with ATL, except their Bravo goes to 12,500 and my C doesn't have a turbo or oxygen . . . .

Glad to see that your "training" is going well. 

When I did my CPL (at ~850 TT ~600 in the Mooney), I was worried about these requirements as well.  If i remember, I took off from KLAM, got gas at KSAF and did a t&g in Zuni on the way to DVT ( solo to a concert, my wife doesn’t like Metallica for some reason!). When I did my check ride, the DPE verified total numbers but never asked about specific flights I was using for these more specific requirements.