New Aspen E5 - In-Flight Crash and Reset

bd95r

Just got an email from the dealer with this attachment, Aspen Avionics Operator Advisory OA2020-01  I did screenshots since attaching jpg is easier than pdfs.  

They're admitting to issues with the E5s and ProMaxs too in this.  

Resolution:  dont fly IMC or get good at partial panel.  Thats straight up BS.  

P3.JPG

P2.JPG

P1.JPG

Good Morning, 

The document link below contains an urgent request to inform our customers of a potential for a reset event with the MAX EFD1000 and E5 systems.  The documents describe the extent of the issue, recommended action for operators, and Aspen's steps to correct the issue.

Please know that our ONLY priority is the safety of our customers. Please reach out to me if you have any questions and for further updates.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Aspen E5 last month. I am trying to find panel space to put it into my MSE.  It won't fit with the present Bendix AI (with my KAP 150).  So to replace the AI, I was looking at a Sandia 340 Quattro.  It is smaller and I saw a Mooney owner with that setup.  Thoughts?

9 hours ago, Kness2 said:

I bought the Aspen E5 last month. I am trying to find panel space to put it into my MSE.  It won't fit with the present Bendix AI (with my KAP 150).  So to replace the AI, I was looking at a Sandia 340 Quattro.  It is smaller and I saw a Mooney owner with that setup.  Thoughts?

Pricey , have you seen this one RC Allen 2610 

16 hours ago, Kness2 said:

With an E5 a back up attitude Gyro is not required to stay in the panel. The requirements are T/C, Airspeed and Altimeter. However if you desire to have an attitude in the panel it can be placed in the location of the T/C. Limitations are outlined in Section 4.4 of the installation manual. The Quattro would qualify along with many other electric solutions. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:03 PM, Kness2 said:

The Sandia Quattro is notoriously unreliable. Do a search on here and Beechtalk and see what problems people have had, even with the latest software.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 9:50 AM, bd95r said:

Still solid with E5 - New Unit + New 2.11 SW.....just bought the TAS, OAT, GPS Annuc. and Winds Aloft unlock for the E5

Bd95r, it’s been 11 months. Have you had any further issues with your Aspen E5?

I too am looking at E5 vs 2x G5’s. My shop is discouraging Aspen over RSM location issues on my plane, but in looking at some other threads on Mooneyspace, I sent them pictures of what other Mooney owners have done, so I’ll see what their response is. I’m hoping a spot next to the dorsal would be acceptable.

F0895558-ADE7-4AE6-BE70-F951303667A8.jpeg

There were issues this.. er.. LAST year with the Aspen. 

At first I understand they though it was actually a board in the unit, so a number of people got an upgrade to the latest unit if they said their unit crashed.  Later it was determined that it was a software issue, so now it's just a Firmware upgrade to resolve the issue.

But check with your shop again to see if that's why they were not so keen on the Aspen or if it was something else.  And let us know if it is for some other reason.

17 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

There were issues this.. er.. LAST year with the Aspen. 

At first I understand they though it was actually a board in the unit, so a number of people got an upgrade to the latest unit if they said their unit crashed.  Later it was determined that it was a software issue, so now it's just a Firmware upgrade to resolve the issue.

But check with your shop again to see if that's why they were not so keen on the Aspen or if it was something else.  And let us know if it is for some other reason.

No, my shop is discouraging the Aspen strictly due to the RSM location issue. 

59 minutes ago, MinneMooney said:

I too am looking at E5 vs 2x G5’s. My shop is discouraging Aspen over RSM location issues on my plane, but in looking at some other threads on Mooneyspace, I sent them pictures of what other Mooney owners have done, so I’ll see what their response is. I’m hoping a spot next to the dorsal would be acceptable.

MinneMooney,

I have not had any issues after receiving the new hardware ( PN: 910-00101-001 A )  back in Feb '20.  Put about 40 hours on since then.

IMHO, if you want to go with the E5, work with a shop that is agreeable to installing it.

aspen.png

59 minutes ago, MinneMooney said:

The issue with the dorsal fin is not the location itself, it is the com antenna that sits above it. There is a requirement that they are a certain distance from certain interferences. I moved my com antenna to the belly to make this location work.

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.725dd654ba46f60f14c34d1d2b65fc77.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

The issue with the dorsal fin is not the location itself, it is the com antenna that sits above it. There is a requirement that they are a certain distance from certain interferences. I moved my com antenna to the belly to make this location work.

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.725dd654ba46f60f14c34d1d2b65fc77.JPG

Marauder, This is the location that caught my attention. Hopefully it would be a possibility on my plane.

B8F092AD-053D-4C69-89EF-0F19093B5934.jpeg

Looks like an odd shadow towards the horizon... hope you aren’t down to that as your last satellite in view...

:)

Plan for multiple antennas while you are doing the homework..

So many devices come along over the horizon... that include the use of additional gps signals.

PP thoughts only...

-a-

Now that the GFC 500 is certified for nearly all the Moonship fleet, if you're torn between the E5 and G5s, it's a no brainier for the dual G5s.  But, if you want an E5 that badly, you can have mine and I'll get the G5s. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 7:41 PM, NJMac said:

I had an E5 installed into my E model back at annual in May. First long xc I was on after install was with my IFR instructor. The E5 crashed and reset on me in flight about 5 hrs I to that trip. I brought it to my installer and said take it back, give me the G5s for redundancy. He laughed, pulled some logs and it went nowhere. I'll probably sell it at a loss and install dual G5s on my dime when the GFC500 is available for short bodies.

I've put probably 80 ish hrs on it since that first crash and it's been just fine. Sad to see it appears to be a systemic issue.

Edit, if it matters mine is also paired to an ifd440

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well, I had Aspen E5 installed same time with Garmin G175 GPS and are coupled (July 2020) .  Test flight was fine and after about 5 hr on it, E5 failed on preflight (Aug) . Took it back to the shop, replaced brand new RSM from Aspen and it was a DOA!  Shop had one demo unit, they replaced and worked fine for about 30 hours or so.  Last Saturday (Feb 2021) in a cruse mid-flight, giant red Xs.  In-flight reboot did not help and could not even get pass initiation.  Got on the ground and tried, still could not get through the boot cycle.  REALLY pissed at Aspen for bad QC.  Good technology and works great when it does but..

• Like 1