New Aspen E5 - In-Flight Crash and Reset

bd95r

On 12/31/2019 at 9:26 AM, Marauder said:

Redundancy is a big deal for me. Ironic since I flew for years without a backup AI. I guess as you get older, the young stupid stuff goes away.

My original choice of going with the Aspens back in 2012 was redundancy. The G500 at that time didn’t have a battery backup and there was no reversion capability. When I had my panel updated in 2017, I had an ESI-500 installed as backup to the Aspens for both AI and Nav capability. Expensive unit, but everything you need is in the little box.

2aabad5253a57aa9bea4ea6a60bfd60a.jpg

I’m on a quest to see if I can get a backup alternator installed on my now vacant vacuum pad. B&C have been helpful (as has Rob T) on looking at the feasibility of installing one. I was hoping a number of you who have dropped your vacuum system would consider it as an option. It’s cool the Aspens, Garmin G-5 and the ESI-500 all have battery backups. But when it comes to an electrical failure, everything depends on the plane’s battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Dynon EFIS-D10A is the back up to the Dynon Skyview. https://www.dynonavionics.com/efis-d10a.php  $2200 and the STC is through the EAA.   In the Skyview installation Just power, pitot, and static are install and it has a 30 or 45 minute battery. So electrically isolated.  Interesting enough it is full featured and would drive an A/P and AoA if you have the tube installed.

Thinking about Quadcopters batteries and things.   It seems like these 20000mAH jump start batteries would be better to bring online than spinning an alternator and relays and such.  80 Amp Bosch relay on the Com buss and you would have an hour of back up electronics.   Which would be in addition to the back up batteries in the display units.  So you could use your radios knowing that you will still have navigation after the radios are gone.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Yetti said:

The Avidyne DA10 is the back up to the Skyview.

Just to be sure, in the post above and only in the post above, by "Avidyne" you mean "Dynon" and by "DA10" you mean "D10A", correct?

43 minutes ago, tmo said:

Just to be sure, in the post above and only in the post above, by "Avidyne" you mean "Dynon" and by "DA10" you mean "D10A", correct?

Thanks for the clarification fixed my post.  laying upside down on the floorboards of the Mooney impacted my posting abilities

First time I attempted to look under the panel in mine I ended up getting such back cramps I thought I won't be able to weasel my way out from under there, so I wholeheartedly sympathize...

1 hour ago, tmo said:

First time I attempted to look under the panel in mine I ended up getting such back cramps I thought I won't be able to weasel my way out from under there, so I wholeheartedly sympathize...

Remove one of the seats.  and you can lay on your back.   My legs and feet go up on the back seat.    The Grumpy IA came over and accused me of taking a nap.   Long arms in an enclosed space require resting

• Like 2

Remove one of the seats.  and you can lay on your back.   My legs and feet go up on the back seat.    The Grumpy IA came over and accused me of taking a nap.   Long arms in an enclosed space require resting

The challenge for Yettis is to get both arms inside of the foot wells of our 75 Fs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] go easy on him or we will sick PTK on you!!!

You don’t need to worry about Yetti. He actually is a Yetti, albeit, a shaved one. I’m pretty big at 6’4”, but he makes me look like a 5 year old.

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You don’t need to worry about Yetti. He actually is a Yetti, albeit, a shaved one. I’m pretty big at 6’4”, but he makes me look like a 5 year old.

Lol! Pardon my rant on the other subject. In case you haven't read it yet. Lol You we're SO right, I must say!!!lol

Dealer said the HSI was free but he needed to charge for the install. I frankly never had an issue with the original depiction. We fly blue dot deflection on an approach, the HSI looked the exact same as that to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dealer said the HSI was free but he needed to charge for the install. I frankly never had an issue with the original depiction. We fly blue dot deflection on an approach, the HSI looked the exact same as that to me.

I was a DG flyer for years and really never appreciated an HSI until I had one. The main advantage is your DG and CDI are wrapped into one depiction. For me, I enjoy knowing what I need is right in front of me and not having to scan up to the CDI. You can see the CDI showing the course is to the left (as depicted by the MFD).

44030d35854bdd5649a45a9d3453112a.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, the break in the HSI line sure does make it impossible to miss. I'll submit this as my evidence of a bad attitude and also the green dot showing I'm just a hair right of course. Agree with Paul that it does make it like cheating. 817f1b963e062877775a6327090ec37d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Yes, the break in the HSI line sure does make it impossible to miss. I'll submit this as my evidence of a bad attitude and also the green dot showing I'm just a hair right of course. Agree with Paul that it does make it like cheating. 817f1b963e062877775a6327090ec37d.jpg

I like the panel overlay too

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There have been lots of E5 / Aspen posts lately and just wanted to get an update out there.

Aspen delivered an updated E5 ( with the new 2.11 software ) to my shop and was able to get it installed today.

I have just 30 min on the new unit but no issues so far....Aspen has been responsive to the issue and feels like we are moving forward.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just for the record...I flew with the E5 for about 220 hours ....and only once ....did it do a reboot in flight....I was on an initial leg of an instrument approach.  When it rebooted, it came up fully useful.

recently had mine fully upgraded to the Promax with synthetic vision...an upgrade well worth the added expense.

• Like 1