ARNAV FMS5000

DrewMcKee

One of those was removed from my plane last week.  Database was old, it was clunky to use, but it still works like the day it was built.  I don't think the previous owner ever used it, probably could not figure out how. Even the manual could not get me direct anywhere.  Fortunately the internet is all knowing.  I think we have a matching set of doorstops.

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, SteveHx said:

Our flight school just purchased a plane with the FMS5000 installed. I can't figure out how to get past the "database out of date" warning to use it VFR. Hints?

let me see if i can find the manual for it

Thank you for uploading that. I read all the way thru, and I think I found that it's supposed to be able to get past the warning as I would expect. I'm wondering if the keypad itself is not functioning, because none of the buttons appear to do anything. As it happens, aside from being a senior flight instructor, in my "day job" I design electronics for a living, so I have appropriate tools to work on the front panel. Thank you for the help!

56 minutes ago, SteveHx said:

Thank you for uploading that. I read all the way thru, and I think I found that it's supposed to be able to get past the warning as I would expect. I'm wondering if the keypad itself is not functioning, because none of the buttons appear to do anything. As it happens, aside from being a senior flight instructor, in my "day job" I design electronics for a living, so I have appropriate tools to work on the front panel. Thank you for the help!

Any time, if you need a replacement or 2 I have them on a shelf 

Brian

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, OR75 said:

GPS5000 or FMS5000 (Loran)

11 hours ago, orionflt said:

Actually arnav star 5000. GPS

Correct.  I used to work for the company in Puyallup, WA (at KPLU) before they became Sagem Avionics.  Great stuff at the time it was manufactured.

I like looking at the "TCA" button on the front panel - before the airspace system was re-categorized into what we have today.  :-)

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, EmbeddedEngineer said:

I want to update the database in ARNAV FMS 5000 , how can I do that any suggestions and I want to view the boot log for ARNAV fms , any cables out there

Is there even a provider for databases for such a dinosaur these days?

I doubt it too, but I don't even get the "why bother" with it unless someone wants it for a museum static display. Its not approved for IFR and we have such amazing VFR capabilities with an iPad and your choice of app; not to mention many more options.