Mooney down in NY

Oh boy.  Scary.  But for the grace of God that guy is ok - looking at the Mooney amongst the trees.  Wouldn't take much of a different path for the airplane to have hit a big tree trunk instead of going between them.  Well, luck or skill, we will take the miracles anyway they come.

• Like 6

The Newsday article says it’s an M20R, other media called it an M20P...  way to go media!

Its registration says it’s an M20J with a 300hp IO550...aka Missile...  way to Go Seth! :)

An internet pic from a couple of years ago... below.  Claimed to be at Central Jersey...

Best regards,

-a-

1DDDAF99-BF44-4795-A0D2-B097B9BBB040.jpeg

• Like 1

Full disclosure. Scott said it was a Missile (we’ve been texting - fellow Missile owner) and I then found the pic online.

But yes, Media often does not have an aviation expert on staff or readily available consultant (though they should!!).

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 2

Just now, Seth said:

Full disclosure. Scott said it was a Missile (we’ve been texting - fellow Missile owner) and I then found the pic online.

But yes, Media often does not have an aviation expert on staff or readily available consultant (though they should!!).

-Seth

Apparently, they can't afford GOOGLE either, If only there was technology that allowed you to do simple searches into a network of servers loaded with information... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Seth said:

-Seth

At least they knew it was a Mooney.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The Newsday article says it’s an M20R, other media called it an M20P...  way to go media!

Its registration says it’s an M20J with a 300hp IO550...aka Missile...  way to Go Seth! :)

If "other media" checked on FlightAware, the other folks (flightradar24?) or the like, it would be listed as "M20P," just like my C, since it isn't turbocharged. Newsday may have misread it or mistyped it, and Lord knows there's no time to fact check, investigate or even proofread closely before publishing . . . .

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Seth said:

Just heard news say pilot issued mayday minutes before it went down.  

-Seth

Was given S turns on final, then “Mayday.”

https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kfrg/KFRG-Twr1-Dec-28-2019-2100Z.mp3

Great job by the pilot.  Chalk up another  Aviator “save.”
-dan

Edited by exM20K

• 10 months later...

I have been waiting for an update on the causative analysis for this Missile accident last December.  I have not been able to find any updates?  Anyone know any additional information?  Can anyone point me to an update?  The airframe was a total loss.  Would there not be an update because there were no fatalities or serious injuries?

32 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

I have been waiting for an update on the causative analysis for this Missile accident last December.  I have not been able to find any updates?  Anyone know any additional information?  Can anyone point me to an update?  The airframe was a total loss.  Would there not be an update because there were no fatalities or serious injuries?

Fuel exhaustion at 600' on final approach

From the report:

According to the pilot, he conducted a preflight inspection of the airplane about 1200 with no anomalies noted and departed Republic Airport (FRG), Farmingdale, New York for a flight to Francis S Gabreski Airport (FOK), Westhampton Beach, New York. He remained on the ground at FOK until about 1540, when he departed for the return flight to FRG. He stated that during approach to FRG the airport traffic pattern was congested, and air traffic control requested he enter right traffic for runway 1. The controller then asked him to extend his approach over the south shore of Long Island before turning him back to the airport. On about a 3-mile final approach to the runway, the controller asked the pilot make S turns for separation from the airplane in front of him. At an altitude of about 600 ft, the engine lost total power. The pilot responded by first switching the fuel selector from the right tank to the left tank, then tried to restart the engine before impacting terrain about ½-mile from runway 1 at FRG. A Federal Aviation

Administration (FAA) inspector examined the airplane after the accident. During the examination the inspector disconnected multiple fuel lines to check for the presence of fuel. A small amount of residual fuel was present in the fuel manifold supply and the return lines from the fuel control to the fuel pump. All other lines were absent of fuel, including the fuel supply line from the airframe to the fuel pump. The right fuel tank was visually inspected about 1 inch of fuel in the tank, the left tank was damaged during the accident and found empty.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Fuel exhaustion at 600' on final approach

From the report:

According to the pilot, he conducted a preflight inspection of the airplane about 1200 with no anomalies noted and departed Republic Airport (FRG), Farmingdale, New York for a flight to Francis S Gabreski Airport (FOK), Westhampton Beach, New York. He remained on the ground at FOK until about 1540, when he departed for the return flight to FRG. He stated that during approach to FRG the airport traffic pattern was congested, and air traffic control requested he enter right traffic for runway 1. The controller then asked him to extend his approach over the south shore of Long Island before turning him back to the airport. On about a 3-mile final approach to the runway, the controller asked the pilot make S turns for separation from the airplane in front of him. At an altitude of about 600 ft, the engine lost total power. The pilot responded by first switching the fuel selector from the right tank to the left tank, then tried to restart the engine before impacting terrain about ½-mile from runway 1 at FRG. A Federal Aviation

Administration (FAA) inspector examined the airplane after the accident. During the examination the inspector disconnected multiple fuel lines to check for the presence of fuel. A small amount of residual fuel was present in the fuel manifold supply and the return lines from the fuel control to the fuel pump. All other lines were absent of fuel, including the fuel supply line from the airframe to the fuel pump. The right fuel tank was visually inspected about 1 inch of fuel in the tank, the left tank was damaged during the accident and found empty.

Oh my.  What a horrible way to destroy a beautiful Missile.  Thanks for sharing this.  Such a preventable accident.  He was very fortunate to have survived this event...or at least to have not sustained serious injury (having gone into mature trees).  One less Missile in the world :( 

Don’t be “that guy” folks.

Is there a way to trace where the salvage would have landed?  Wondering where items like exhaust and spinner ended up?

2 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

Is there a way to trace where the salvage would have landed?  Wondering where items like exhaust and spinner ended up?

Unless he crashed tail first, I can't imagine the spinner or exhaust survived without damage.

12 hours ago, kpaul said:

Unless he crashed tail first, I can't imagine the spinner or exhaust survived without damage.

You are certainly correct.  Why inquire about custom parts availability on a fleet of 60 as salvage?  I should just bite the bullet and pay full boat when I need them.  My bad.

3 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

You are certainly correct.  Why inquire about custom parts availability on a fleet of 60 as salvage?  I should just bite the bullet and pay full boat when I need them.  My bad.

No that's cool, lash out and don't think rationally about a crash through trees.  You should find the airplane and throw the firewall forward in your plane. I wish you well.

Screenshot_20201109-110304_Edge.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

Link please???

Hank, changes on the NTSB side no longer facilitate sharing links - for any accident post 2008 you have to search for it and then download the report. But this will take you directly to download the report http://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/100840/pdf 

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, kpaul said:

No that's cool, lash out and don't think rationally about a crash through trees.  You should find the airplane and throw the firewall forward in your plane. I wish you well.

Screenshot_20201109-110304_Edge.jpg

Kevbo Clearly the EXTRACTION NOT the off-field landing resulted in the plane being sawed and bent.  I am going to stick with my words buddy.  You have a nice day...