Power Fluctuations in Acclaim

Daneshgari

Perry,

Have you talked with anyone off line like @DanM20C, or @mike_elliott, or @kortopates or @donkayeguys? (This acts like an invite for these guys to stop in and share some experience)

expect that power fluctuations are not normal...

possible turbo controller issue? Or other turbo related issue... as simple as a leaky tube...

Got any engine data you can share?

MP, FF, RPM, the usual power indicators.... can be really helpful to see what you experienced...

Any mag work lately? Loose things can make timing fluctuate...

How did you perceive the fluctuation? Sound, thrust, numbers on an instrument?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Hi All. Has anyone seen major power fluctuations during the clime? It is an odd thing. We have checked for any intake manifold leaks and all has been tightened. I wonder if the waste gate is bad. It only has 20 hours on it. I do have the last production acclaim ultra. 

Perry
I did once but it was actually major RPM fluctuations due to a mis behaving prop governor. 95 Bravo

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Great primary data collection technique!

+1 with sending a data card as advised by Mike.  It will allow somebody in engineering to take a much larger view, over time, of what else may be going on...

For those playing along....

roughly what I am seeing by watching the video several times...

MP is oscillating about 1”, 29.6 to 30.7 (too much variation compared to my NA IO550...)

FF is oscillating .2gph, 24.9 to 25.1  (a smaller amount compared to the 1” of MP) (a little low compared to my engine at same conditions)(My 310hp STC allows for 27.2gph and some prefer 28 to 30gph for temp control in the climb, at 2700rpm)

RPM is moving 10rpm, 2500 to 2510 (pretty stable, the gauge doesn’t seem to do any more detail than chunks of 10rpm...)

TIT has a slight movement... 1530-1533 (pretty stable compared to the variation of MP...) nicely in the green...

Now... how well is the instrumentation showing what is really going on?

Everything seems to be working pretty well, except the MP fluctuation...

Feel free to share the data I tried to write down...

My engine comparisons are a bit unhelpful... NA, and 310hp, at 2700rpm...

Unfortunately I no longer remember enough detail of my 280hp engine, FF and RPM at WOT.... :)

PP thoughts only, based on experience of a NA IO550, running 200 rpm faster... I am not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Perry,

if all you are getting is 30.1” of MP in the climb, that is way too low.  As is the fuel flow, though I don’t ever fly at this setting in the climb.  Full throttle climb is SOP for me.  The TSIO550 has an enrichment circuit that kicks in at full throttle, which should keep things more chill.

CHT also looks high  Fuel flow looks steady, but remember low boos on at full power above 12,000.

my climb (310HP STC) is 33x2700 and fuel flow of 38GPH (ish).  Are you able 33” in the climb?  I’d suggest trying a “balls-to-the-wall” climb and see if that works better.  If unable 33”, then there is an induction system problem most likely.

I’m in the west burbs of Chicago, so just PM me if you’d like to fly together. I hope you enjoy your new plane... there’s nothing like the Acclaim!

-dan

Edited by exM20K
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I just picked up my Mooney from the Mooney service station at Lapeer D95. They replaced the control unit on the waste gate, which Mooney guys (Kevin and Stacy) initiated it to be shipped from continental in those few hours they were open last Monday. What a great bunch of guys. Lapeer guys did a great work and everything is back to normal. Except the ice I picked on my 19 mile to KFNT all went great. Go Mooney guys. 

Perry

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daneshgari said:

I do have the TKS system on this plane. I have had 6 Mooney all with TKS over the last 15 years. They all have done great in Ice. I avoid ice as much as I can. In Great Lakes area sometimes you don’t have a choice but to go through it. Great plane. 

Perry 

Did you by chance fly during operation good cheer this year?  A TKS acclaim (2SN) landed a few minutes before us this year, thought it might be a previous plane of yours.