100 hr Recurring Eddy AD inspection....red dye fix

I’m in the process of purchasing a 67 Mooney M20F that has the Hartzell non suffix hub with the recurring 100 hr eddy current inspection AD. 

The plane itself is in great shape, low time engine and airframe so the 100 hour recurring AD is not a show stopper for me.

However, as I’ve done my research I came across Hartzell service bulletin hc-sb-61-269 propellor hub inspection and the service letter hc-sl-61-273.  This service letter allows the modification of the hub to include a red dye for detection of any hub issues. It adds 4 lbs, but it eliminates the need for the 100 hour recurring AD.  I’ve heard that some shops are not fans of this modification.

Has anyone used this modification or do they have any pros or cons?

Thanks!

Sheriff,

Have you searched around MS for that?

1) You will find very few Mooneys have experienced the hub problem that are solved by this...

2) Many people have experience with the red dye...

3) Apparently the red dye has a tendency to leak out past the seals, indicating something other than what it is designed for...

4) There is a pic around here showing what the cracked hub looks like on a plane when taken apart... it came from something other than a Mooney...

My M20C got an annual prop test... it required a brief flight to a prop shop to execute...

+1 on finding the mobile prop guy, or have one at your home drome...

Best regards,

-a-

I have oil-filled props. One is leaking and needs to be resealed.

The oil WILL leak at some time. The grease filled MAY leak.

No corrosion with oil-filled though.

Eddy current inspection is a non-event.

If you don't want the hassle, put a "B" hub on it. Personally, to me, it's not worth the expense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Guitarmaster said:

I have oil-filled props. One is leaking and needs to be resealed.

The oil WILL leak at some time. The grease filled MAY leak.

No corrosion with oil-filled though.

Eddy current inspection is a non-event.

If you don't want the hassle, put a "B" hub on it. Personally, to me, it's not worth the expense.

How much time elapsed before it starting leaking and what was the cost to convert to oil filled?  Looking at what is most economical for cost and time spent. 

How much time elapsed before it starting leaking and what was the cost to convert to oil filled?  Looking at what is most economical for cost and time spent. 
Without looking at the log, I THINK it has about 400 hours on it.
It's a McCauly 3-blade.