SF50 Burned while parked in CA

Apologies if I muddied the water. I'm not an electrical engineer and do not understand the vicissitudes of voltage, amperage, current, and the like. It's probably something I should rectify in the interest of understanding airplane systems better.

Just thought you guys would be interested to know that the IFE (in-flight entertainment) system is what's being implicated in an upcoming mandatory service bulletin related to this fire, and the SF50 owner I know referenced a short related to the USB plug. I'm not sure if he has his facts straight, but it's the closest information I have.

Best,

-J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CIRRUS
Number: SA19-31
Issued: 31 Dec 2019
SUBJECT: Non-Essential Interior Electrical Equipment Isolation

1. EFFECTIVITY
SF50 Serials 0005 & subs

2. DESCRIPTION
SF50 Service Advisory
Cirrus Aircraft has been made aware of a cabin fire incident in an SF50 Vision Jet during ground opera- tions. The operator observed smoke exiting from behind the right sidewall interior panel located behind the crew seat (seat 2) and forward of the passenger seat (seat 5). Equipment located in this area of the cabin includes the In-Flight Entertainment (IFE) system, USB power outlets, and 110 VAC power supply. Power to all of this equipment can be removed via the IFE POWER switch located on the center console (as shown below).
Although an ongoing investigation has not yet identified a root cause for the incident, as a precaution, and until more information is known, Cirrus Aircraft instructs owners/operators to set the IFE POWER switch in the OFF position at all times; this includes both ground operations and flight operations.
Compliance with this Advisory is required until further notice.

3. ACTIONS
Terminating action for this Service Advisory is pending a resolution to be provided in the release of an upcoming Service Bulletin.
EFFECTIVITY:
SF50 Serials 0005 & subs

• Like 1

It would make alot more sense that the transformer 28V DC to 110VAC lit off.  It's going to be the thing that is causing heat in an enclosed space.  But I kind of get points for guessing USB and electrical stuff.   vape pen left plugged into a USB port is a better story for toasting your jet.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

vape pen left plugged into a USB port is a better story for toasting your jet.

Have you ever seen one of those go off? I have, And it's pretty scary. It exploded off a desk, then shot flames waist high for about 10 seconds. 

Sounds like this isn't that though. I'll go with transformer as well. 

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

FAA Emergency AD Grounds Cirrus Jet Fleet

February 15, 2020

After a cabin ground fire destroyed a first-generation Cirrus SF50 Vision Jet, the FAA issued emergency airworthiness directive AD 2020-03-50, which grounds the fleet of jets until faulty audio amplifier circuit cards are removed from the cabin. 

In the aircraft that melted on the ramp, the FAA wrote in its AD that the pilot observed smoke coming from the right rear cabin sidewall. The smoking components are audio amplifiers that are used to drive the 3.5-MM audio/microphone jacks in the passenger cabin. The part number of the defective circuit card is P/N 38849-01, and the AD says to simply remove all 12 of them from the cabin before the next flight. That generally takes eight hours labor to remove the interior, the circuit cards and put it all back together.

Cirrus has been on this before the AD, and already issued service bulletin SBA5X-23-03 for compliance instructions. To date Cirrus has made 97 percent of the SF50 fleet airworthy again through its ASSIST mobile technical team and established service centers. It said over 170 Cirrus jets are back flying since the bulletin was issued on Feb. 7, 2020. Nailing the communication effort, all Cirrus SF50 customers were contacted within 24 hours of the bulletin’s release

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 11:45 AM, Hank said:

I have one plugged in in my car that's labeled 2.4A . . . Some plugins advertise higher amperage for quicker charging. 

USB Power specs courtesy of Wikipedia:

Power-related specifications[edit]

Release name Release date Max. power Note
USB Battery Charging 1.0 2007-03-08 5 V, ? A  
USB Battery Charging 1.1 2009-04-15 5 V, 1.8 A [40]
USB Battery Charging 1.2 2010-12-07 5 V, 5 A [41]
USB Power Delivery revision 1.0 (version 1.0) 2012-07-05 20 V, 5 A Using FSK protocol over bus power (VBUS)
USB Power Delivery revision 1.0 (version 1.3) 2014-03-11 20 V, 5 A  
USB Type-C rev1.0 2014-08-11 5 V, 3 A New connector and cable specification
USB Power Delivery revision 2.0 (version 1.0) 2014-08-11 20 V, 5 A Using BMC protocol over communication channel (CC) on USB-C cables.
USB Type-C rev1.1 2015-04-03 5 V, 3 A  
USB Power Delivery revision 2.0 (version 1.1) 2015-05-07 20 V, 5 A  
USB Type-C rev1.2 2016-03-25 5 V, 3 A  
USB Power Delivery revision 2.0 (version 1.2) 2016-03-25 20 V, 5 A  
USB Power Delivery revision 2.0 (version 1.3) 2017-01-12 20 V, 5 A  
USB Power Delivery revision 3.0 (version 1.1) 2017-01-12 20 V, 5 A  
USB Type-C rev1.3 2017-07-14 5 V, 3 A  
USB Power Delivery revision 3.0 (version 1.2) 2018-06-21 20 V, 5 A  
USB Type-C rev1.4 2019-03-29 5 V, 3 A  
USB Type-C rev2.0 2019-08-29 5 V, 3 A Enabling USB4 over USB Type-C connectors and cables.
USB Power Delivery revision 3.0 (version 2.0) 2019-08-29 20 V, 5 A [42]

43 minutes ago, EricJ said:

An engineer friend worked at Boeing when the FAA was designing the test of the fire suppressant fuel additive. The FAA got sensitive that it was being called a "crash test" and insisted on calling it a CID -- Controlled Impact Demonstration. It took everyone about a minute to redefine the acronym as Crash in Desert.:)

Skip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Nice fireball.   Don't think it would classify as an explosion. for the people inside it is academic.  Now don't get me wrong a diesel injector creates a small explosion to make things happen within the cylinder.   https://www.fireengineering.com/2002/10/01/244558/jet-fuel/#gref

22 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

I was under the impression that all aircraft interior materials were supposed to be self extinguishing

I think most aviation grade raw materials are fire-retardant rather than fire-resistant, so if someone was around in the cabin they could have stopped the live fire with cutting electrics OFF and using hand extinguishers? I am not sure if there was a delay in reaction: pilot was out looking for a mechanic and his extinguisher while leaving master/electrics ON instead of just giving it a shower with the aircraft extinguisher?

It would be good to know how long it did take from smell to smoke/from smoke to completely engulfed, maybe 5min/5min? so something I keep in mind next time I smell electrics on a hot day

Edited by Ibra