SF50 Burned while parked in CA

Where do they put the fancy batteries in that plane?

What fancy battery do they use?

Is there a Lithium based battery to go with that?

If the battery is up front for balance... and it is a lithium ion battery... the big fire may not have reached any other fuel source like jet fuel in the wings.... unless the cockpit fuel valve got heated up enough...  (all speculation, just guesses)

PP thinking out loud, no knowledge of any batteries in a Brand C plane...

Best regards,

-a-

Is there a firewall behind the passenger seats?

Other things that can burn in an airplane....   

TKS anti ice liquid... similar to alcohol in the way it burns...

https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/TN08-9.pdf

Anything left behind in the passenger compartment... battery operated devices...?

How many batteries support the instrument panel devices...?

Post crash fires have been known to ignite the rocket motor launching the parachute....

PP thoughts only, not a fire resistance expert...

Best regards,

-a-

Picture borrowed from Max Trescott.... the SF50 opened up...

DD75AA3B-F31D-40BE-A69E-BBDD9BA4D0EF.jpeg

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Where do they put the fancy batteries in that plane?

What fancy battery do they use?

Is there a Lithium based battery to go with that?

If the battery is up front for balance... and it is a lithium ion battery... the big fire may not have reached any other fuel source like jet fuel in the wings.... unless the cockpit fuel valve got heated up enough...  (all speculation, just guesses)

PP thinking out loud, no knowledge of any batteries in a Brand C plane...

Best regards,

-a-

My first thought as well - but this appears to be a gen 1 aircraft with only 28V lead acid batteries.  Turns out only the gen 2 uses lithium ion.

https://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/cirrus-sf50-vision-jet-operators-survey

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

Ever seen the large fireball when a military jet impacts the ground (even when unarmed)? That's close enough to an explosion for me . . .

Is a fireball the same as an explosion?   I feel like I am going to be sending my friend at Shell who blows stuff up for his job an email soon.

Regardless of the correct scientific description or terminology (which is interesting at this point ), the results can be horrific!

Are results from impact or static fuel fires, or fuel vapor fires different? 

Remember the intentional remotely controlled crash of the 707 (I believe) at Edwards AFB years ago?  That was an experiment attempting to discover Jet fuel that would not create a fireball upon impact.  Unsuccessful it was!

Fireball or explosion......it was one huge catastrophic event!! 

Edit: fuel that would minimize the fireball.

We have moved a bit from a static plane catching fire to impacts.  Moving back to static planes.   It has always interested me that we stick electrical current into gasoline and Jet A tanks in the form of fuel pumps and repressive fuel gauges and more things don't go boom. On the Cirrus jet it looks like all the fire was up high.   Engine was not really involved, fuel tanks in the wings not involved.   I am going to vote ELT battery or laptop battery or stratus battery went uncontrolled.

This is quite a significant event for the SF50. Hopefully they will find out fast what caused this and take corrective action if necessary.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

I am going to vote ELT battery or laptop battery or stratus battery went uncontrolled.

Seeing how Ethiopian almost lost a 787 to a ELT Battery run away, I think you may well have a good theory here.

20130712-0-C-1.jpg

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20130712-0&lang=en

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Urs_Wildermuth said:

This is quite a significant event for the SF50. Hopefully they will find out fast what caused this and take corrective action if necessary.

Seeing how Ethiopian almost lost a 787 to a ELT Battery run away, I think you may well have a good theory here.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20130712-0&lang=en

Um Hey Dad, I think I left my vape pen in the Cirrus Jet on the charger.......

For those still curious, it was a short in the entertainment system. The SF50 has quite a large fold-down screen which is attached to the midships ceiling. Preliminary reports implicate a high-voltage USB outlet in that device, which is not required to be manufactured to "aviation standards," whatever those might be. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

For those still curious, it was a short in the entertainment system. The SF50 has quite a large fold-down screen which is attached to the midships ceiling. Preliminary reports implicate a high-voltage USB outlet in that device, which is not required to be manufactured to "aviation standards," whatever those might be. 

High voltage USB? I think USB is 5V unless one of the newer versions changed that.

Tom

USB power ports do provide 5 volts DC.  None are higher voltage.  

USB ports built to newer standards such as 3.0 will provide higher current than the early versions.  

No USB port will provide a lot of power — the maximum 1.5 amps output at 5 volts is (let me get my slide rule) only 7.5 watts.  

8 hours ago, Jourdan Urbach said:

Sounds to me like somebody is making an excuse.  

5 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

USB power ports do provide 5 volts DC.  None are higher voltage.  

USB ports built to newer standards such as 3.0 will provide higher current than the early versions.  

No USB port will provide a lot of power — the maximum 1.5 amps output at 5 volts is (let me get my slide rule) only 7.5 watts.  

I have one plugged in in my car that's labeled 2.4A . . . Some plugins advertise higher amperage for quicker charging.