ADSB for Canadian’s

Vlakvark

Expect that flying in the ADSB required airspace... is airspace related, not aircraft related...

Great question...

That makes visiting the US a bit more challenging.

We are about to find out how much of a pain this update really is...

Do you have access to AOPA?  They probably have a guide of how to handle the temporary visitor situation...

Some MSers are planning to avoid the airspace that requires ADSB out...some parts of the country are less challenged than others...

Kind of like avoiding Mode C veils....

Best regards,

-a-

@Vlakvark Some of us have upgraded to ADS-B so, on January 1st, we will be able to operate within any designated American ADS-B airspace. If you want to upgrade, you can either install a 1090Mhz transponder (Garmin 330ES or Avidyne AXP340) or a 978Mhz transceiver (Uavionix Skybeacon or Tailbeacon)  and be ADS-B out. The in portion is not mandatory but can be accomplished by using a portable solution like Foreflight Scout or Stratus 2S.

There is also another option which is to ask for a Deviation Authorization with the FAA, here is a link that explains the details and there is even a video tutorial: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/adapt/ 

• Like 1

Minot and Rapid City should be ok. They are both Class D airspace and they are not under a Mode C veil.  
Not so for Fargo though. Says TRSA on the IFR enroute chart. Probably means Class B and/or C.  Means it is Rule airspace for which ADSB Out will probably be required.  

Sorry....

Minot and Rapid City should be ok. They are both Class D airspace and they are not under a Mode C veil.  
Not so for Fargo though. Says TRSA on the IFR enroute chart. Probably means Class B and/or C.  Means it is Rule airspace for which ADSB Out will probably be required.  
Sorry....

TRSA’s are neither Class B nor C, in fact talking to the TRSA controller is optional but highly recommended.
Without ADS-B in addition to avoiding Class B and C veils, you must also remain below 10K (unless under 2500’ agl).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAV Canada put that all on hold or delayed for awhile. At least a couple of years before it will be needed and I suspect the uproar from the villagers may get them to rethink  the diversity requirement. I understand that they are testing our little planes with only bottom antennas. A 737 shades the lower antenna a lot more than a mooney especially considering that the satellite reading it not likely to be directly overhead.

I am holding off on this diversity thing for as long as possible.

A bit more info here:

https://www.skiesmag.com/features/diversity-matters-canadas-performance-requirements/

Edited by milotron
added a link!

17 hours ago, drapo said:

@Vlakvark Some of us have upgraded to ADS-B so, on January 1st, we will be able to operate within any designated American ADS-B airspace. If you want to upgrade, you can either install a 1090Mhz transponder (Garmin 330ES or Avidyne AXP340) or a 978Mhz transceiver (Uavionix Skybeacon or Tailbeacon)  and be ADS-B out. The in portion is not mandatory but can be accomplished by using a portable solution like Foreflight Scout or Stratus 2S.

There is also another option which is to ask for a Deviation Authorization with the FAA, here is a link that explains the details and there is even a video tutorial: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/adapt/ 

I assumed the question was about diversity. Your ADs-b antenna is probably only on bottom of the plane. 
If Canada goes forward with diversity it’s going to keep Americans out of their airspace. 

-Robert 

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

I assumed the question was about diversity. Your ADs-b antenna is probably only on top of the plane. 
If Canada goes forward with diversity it’s going to keep Americans out of their airspace. 

-Robert 

Actually no, the antenna is on the belly! I installed my ADS-B compliant transponder to adhere to the Amercan ADS-B 2020 mandate. Canada doesn’t require ADS-B except when you fly under ADS-B  rules,  above FL280 on the Atlantic coast and north of Hudson Bay. For the time being, it is only used to reduce spacing for mostly Tranatlantic flights. As @milotron said, they have postponed the requirement for other airspaces folowing lobbying efforts from the Industry and pilots groups sich as COPA and AOPA.

I raised the effects of the proposed expanded ADS-B airspace on American GA flights with Transport Canada along with others and I guess it worked! But I guess you  guys weren’t as successful pleading that the American ADS-B mandate would keep Canadians out of US airspace!  :P ;) :D

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, kortopates said:

TRSA’s are neither Class B nor C, in fact talking to the TRSA controller is optional but highly recommended.
Without ADS-B in addition to avoiding Class B and C veils, you must also remain below 10K (unless under 2500’ agl).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I was wrong. Learn something every day.