What else should I check at overhaul?

bob865

My plane is going down for an engine overhaul.  At the same time, we are going to put on a surefly ignition, new motor mounts, and overhaul the prop governor.  What else would you have done while it's down for overhaul?  Anything else you would inspect/overhaul/replace?

Everything firewall forward is up for review while the engine is off...

OH of the motor mount... may just be a clean and repaint...

Nice to know it is in perfect condition for the next decade or three...

Dent free, rust free, welds in all the right places... all good...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, PilotCoyote said:
  • Oh, perhaps your later year mount was not subject to the SB regarding cracking?

I wasn't sure.  Went and looked it up.  I was the next to last E model, so I already have the upgrade.  And now I'm tumbling down the SB rabbit hole to see what all is there.  See what is done and might not be done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oldguy said:

Prop IRAN/OH (time dependent), alternator & belt, baffling.

I don't know if this is practical or even doable,  but I read somewhere that while the prop is off to place another belt on the engine and secure it in place using safety wire. This way if the alternator belt needs to be replaced the prop doesn't have to be removed.

Back in the day...

generator belts didn’t last so long... putting a spare in place made plenty of sense to allow getting home when the first one failed...

Today...

Belt quality is light years better than back in the day...

So...

Putting a new belt on, while swapping out the engine makes plenty of good sense...

Putting on a spare as well..?  Start a pole to see the last time anyone ever had to change a belt... car or plane?

:)

Best regards,

-a-

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, flyboy0681 said:

I don't know if this is practical or even doable,  but I read somewhere that while the prop is off to place another belt on the engine and secure it in place using safety wire. This way if the alternator belt needs to be replaced the prop doesn't have to be removed.

It's doable.  I have one on there now.  It has worked wonders to extend the life of the running belt. :D

• Haha 1

I would echo many of the things already noted.  While the prop can be a pain, its on the front of the engine and can be removed fairly easily.  I'm sympathetic to the alternator belt, but I would suggest that if you have to use the 2nd belt, it has been in the elements and subject to more extreme heat cycles (being close to the crankcase) than the main belt.  I wouldn't trust it long.  Having a prop subject to the AD, I have to remove mine regularly, so I'm not going this direction.   I would look at things in the back.

One thing I'm thinking is the fuel hose between the pump and the bulkhead connector on the firewall.  I'm replacing lines as part of a JPI install and I think that one is going to have to wait 'till I have to remove the engine.  I think next time I would go with the teflon hoses wherever possible.

Depending on your engine instrumentation and the ages involved in the hoses there, I would consider them...at least check them.

Let me 2nd, 3rd or whatever the engine control cables.  they are suggested to be changed at engine overhaul... mine were original 1962 cables.

You have already mentioned the engine mount.  How I wish mine had been cleaned and repainted at the last overhaul.

Just my $.02

James

Edited by cctsurf