Transponder check with Skybeacon/ tailbeacon

Wyatt Earp

hello folks, I hope each of you had a nice Christmas celebration with friends a family.

a buddy of mine just got his Skybeacon installed on his Mooney M20C. It actually looks pretty nice. The question is, and according to him, that he doesn’t need a transponder check because the skybeacon has been configured and calibrated during installation and setup and so the altitude reporting is done from the Skybeacon. Is this true?

thanks all!

-dean

hello folks, I hope each of you had a nice Christmas celebration with friends a family.

a buddy of mine just got his Skybeacon installed on his Mooney M20C. It actually looks pretty nice. The question is, and according to him, that he doesn’t need a transponder check because the skybeacon has been configured and calibrated during installation and setup and so the altitude reporting is done from the Skybeacon. Is this true?

thanks all!

-dean

Not true, the transponder still needs a 91.413 every 24 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

Which brings up the next question now that we have spent all this Money on ADSB,  Are they still going to make us put in Squwak codes?

My guess is YES, just like the fleet not all of the FAA is ready either. 

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

Which brings up the next question now that we have spent all this Money on ADSB,  Are they still going to make us put in Squwak codes?

2 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

My guess is YES, just like the fleet not all of the FAA is ready either. 

Plus, while they may have your information via ADS-B even when squawking 1200, having a code lets them know that you hopefully are on frequency with them where they can talk to you. 

• Like 1

As long as the unit is installed in accordance with the manual (ie not within 3ft of the transponder antenna), you do not require a 91.413 check at the time of installation unless the transponder needs one anyway.  Installing ADSB out 979 uat does not abrogate the need for 91.413 checks every 24 months. 

as part of the installation procedure a GDL-82 requires IIRC two 91.413 checks.  One before installation of the device and another after installation. This is because you need to make sure your transponder is up to snuff and that your installation didn’t mess up said transponder in the process.