New data on IFR charts - MON

jaylw314

Hopefully, I'm not the last one to notice that on IFR charts, some airports and navaids are tagged with the letters "MON" in blue reverse highlight.  After some digging around, it turns out to stand for "Minimum Operating Network", and the FAA is highlighting certain facilities to have permanent radio navigation aids in case of GPS failure, so if you do lose GPS, you should be able to quickly find a MON facility on your IFR chart.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/transition_programs/vormon/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Hopefully, I'm not the last one to notice that on IFR charts, some airports and navaids are tagged with the letters "MON" in blue reverse highlight.  After some digging around, it turns out to stand for "Minimum Operating Network", and the FAA is highlighting certain facilities to have permanent radio navigation aids in case of GPS failure, so if you do lose GPS, you should be able to quickly find a MON facility on your IFR chart.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/transition_programs/vormon/

I believe that plan was to keep ground based navigation somewhere around 100mile range of each other. So that at anypoint of gps failure, any aircraft can make it to an airport with ifr reserves.

31 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

What are ‘dynamic charts’? Garmin Pilot is showing it for me:

be0c45fa400793af25c533e92ec44cec.jpg

That’s not the dynamic chart...that’s the IFR low chart.  I’d expect the IFR low chart to show all the updates.

the garmin dynamic chart is a different base layer you can select, which is an aggregate of highly configurable options.  One main advantage is that the labels will always be upright for you... where as with the base layer charts, they are static based on north.  I believe foreflight has a similar type of dynamic chart, too.

edit: I don’t use garmin’s app so if anything is not accurate in the above text, please feel free to jump in. 

Edited by M016576
  • Like 1

That’s not the dynamic chart...that’s the IFR low chart.  I’d expect the IFR low chart to show all the updates.
the garmin dynamic chart is a different base layer you can select, which is an aggregate of highly configurable options.  One main advantage is that the labels will always be upright for you... where as with the base layer charts, they are static based on north.  I believe foreflight has a similar type of dynamic chart, too.
edit: I don’t use garmin’s app so if anything is not accurate in the above text, please feel free to jump in. 

Ok thanks, I see which map he’s using now.

If the FAA was so concern about GPS they should have kept LORAN-C. There were Navigators with GPS/LORAN capability that would handle GPS failures seamlessly and continue RNAV navigation. After all LORAN-C was easier and cheaper to maintain than GPS, no rockets required but an SUV with a handy technician.:) 

• Like 2

Oh. Just DME, not a DME/DME setup where two independent DME recievers track two distinct DME ground stations and determine location.

Something like this.

A single DME I don't have a problem with, lots of approaches this side of the pond require DME, and we do not have a blanket substitution with GNSS approval like the one the FAA gave for US airspace.